Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 15:05   #76
God Member

Re: Grand Slam Tennis 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
No mention of Murray's derriere, m! Why does he always remind me of that gawky teenager in Gregory's Girl?

I was intrigued to hear that there is an 11pm curfew on matches at Wimbledon "so they don't disturb the neighbours".

They take over the neighbourhood for a fortnight, allow thousands of people to trample everywhere and yell and grunt at the top of their voices, parking their cars everywhere and making the local residents prisoners in their own homes......then start worrying about disturbing the neighbours.

Interesting logic!

Would be a bit incestuous to look at Murray's rear view -my eldest son is very similar to him and the same age!

I do think that Murray has a strong look of a young Charlton Heston at times. (See photos -couldn't find one of him with a tennis racquet!)

I get what you mean about the actor in Gregory's Girl -but Murray has worked hard on his fitness over the last few years -can't really call him gawky these days.

As you say the curfew thing is odd - perhaps they had complaints from the local residents!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charlton_heston_.jpg (38.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mr Heston.jpg (55.5 KB, 0 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2012, 15:12   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Me thinks you'll be five quid lighter come next Sunday
He hasn't got an easy draw - Marin Cilic on Monday and then the winner of Ferrer vs Del Potro.

Let's hope yesterday's poor performance will be a wake up call and he'll take his game to a higher level between now and then.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 01-07-2012, 15:36   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Would be a bit incestuous to look at Murray's rear view -my eldest son is very similar to him and the same age!
Rafa is only 10 months older than Murray.

They definitely have to do something about the 11pm curfew. Imagine if that had been the men's final? Millions of people would be perched on the edge of their seats around the world (including most of the residents of SW19 as well).

A World Class tournament deserves to run its course! And if that means financial compensation to the neighbours, then that is a comparatively small price to pay.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 17:16   #79
Resting In Peace

Quote:
As you say the curfew thing is odd - perhaps they had complaints from the local residents!
The curfew thing is not odd at all, it's simple politeness and respect for others. It's not to do with the noise from the court but the noise of hundreds of people banging car doors, revving engines and driving away. Or so I was informed by the commentators who were desperately trying to find things to talk about on Thursday when I was forced to watch Wimbledon while waiting for my postponed programme which never appeared.
Old 01-07-2012, 17:23   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The curfew thing is not odd at all, it's simple politeness and respect for others. It's not to do with the noise from the court but the noise of hundreds of people banging car doors, revving engines and driving away. Or so I was informed by the commentators who were desperately trying to find things to talk about on Thursday when I was forced to watch Wimbledon while waiting for my postponed programme which never appeared.
Ya why not shunt the grunters onto BBC3 or 4, theres nout on them during the day
Old 01-07-2012, 17:25   #81
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Ya why not shunt the grunters onto BBC3 or 4, theres nout on them during the day
This was at 10pm John - a time when I often watch BBC4!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
They definitely have to do something about the 11pm curfew. Imagine if that had been the men's final? Millions of people would be perched on the edge of their seats around the world (including most of the residents of SW19 as well).

A World Class tournament deserves to run its course! And if that means financial compensation to the neighbours, then that is a comparatively small price to pay.
Exactly -it's only once a year for 2 weeks anyway. As you say most of the locals will probably be watching it too!

The longest ever final was 2009 -Federer -Roddick -brilliant stuff, didn't miss a minute -would probably have been interupted with this new rule.

The 2008 Nadal - Federer final lasted nearly 5 hours too (I watched it all!), it was a thrilling match and being interupted by rain would also have gone past the curfew if it had been in place.

Murray vs Cilic today - will be a tough match -looking forward to it. C'mon Andy!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-07-2012, 06:53   #83
God Member

Interesting interview with Murray about the Bagdhatis match -he mentions it finished after 11pm -so they may be a little elastic with the curfew!

BBC Sport - Andy Murray Wimbledon column: 'The atmosphere was electric'

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48   #84
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Exactly -it's only once a year for 2 weeks anyway. As you say most of the locals will probably be watching it too!

The longest ever final was 2009 -Federer -Roddick -brilliant stuff, didn't miss a minute -would probably have been interupted with this new rule.

The 2008 Nadal - Federer final lasted nearly 5 hours too (I watched it all!), it was a thrilling match and being interupted by rain would also have gone past the curfew if it had been in place.

Murray vs Cilic today - will be a tough match -looking forward to it. C'mon Andy!
Hope he has his umbrella, its rain all the way this week
Old 02-07-2012, 12:44   #85
God Member

Quote:
Hope he has his umbrella, its rain all the way this week
They are playing -it looks pretty grey though.

Wish I could send some of our sun.:hotho thot

We're expecting thunderstorms in theory but it ain't happening! It's very oppressive about 38°C -am inside with the shutters closed to keep out the heat -we are praying for some rain!

Watching Federer - Malisse - close so far, fed should win!

Sharapova has made a poor start and the Italian woman Schiavone is doing well against Kvitova -has won first set...

Hope rain doesn't stop play.............Time!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 02-07-2012, 17:19   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They are playing -it looks pretty grey though.

Wish I could send some of our sun.:hotho thot

We're expecting thunderstorms in theory but it ain't happening! It's very oppressive about 38°C -am inside with the shutters closed to keep out the heat -we are praying for some rain!

Watching Federer - Malisse - close so far, fed should win!

Sharapova has made a poor start and the Italian woman Schiavone is doing well against Kvitova -has won first set...

Hope rain doesn't stop play.............Time!
Rain Stopped play 4-45 thats just to let Andy recharge his battery
Old 02-07-2012, 22:33   #87
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If Murray gets past this guy, Federer will stuff him,no doubt.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If Murray gets past this guy, Federer will stuff him,no doubt.
Ya Federer fodder
Old 03-07-2012, 11:43   #89
God Member

Quote:
Ya Federer fodder
Not likely to meet him as they re on different sides of the draw -unless Federer beats Djokovich which is possible but unlikely. Federer has some back problems apparently.

Roofs on on Center court tday -don't know if Murray will manage to finish his match today. He'll be playing either Del Potro or Ferrer -the match just about to start on Center court...at least he'll know who he'll be up against if he can finish Cilic off. Was serving and moving really well on court yesterday I thought.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-07-2012, 13:16   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems hes beaten Cilic which i expected, its when he plays the Top Drawer i don't.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..