Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   weather?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/weather-29920.html)

BERNADETTE 02-12-2008 10:41

Re: weather??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolly (Post 656666)
Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!:mad:

Same here, can't wait to see the back of it:(

magpie 02-12-2008 11:27

Quote:

love it love it love it ...... find your inner child and enjoy :):):):)

Benipete 02-12-2008 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 656679)
love it love it love it ...... find your inner child and enjoy :):):):)

When I get to Blackburn Royal later I will convey your thoughts to all the pensioners with broken limbs.:D:D

'erindoors 02-12-2008 13:43

Quote:

I agree with you too, can't stand the stuff :(

Gail xxxx

Sara 02-12-2008 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 656617)
Very fetching sara, I am expecting my office staff to arrive in the usual heels, in which she cant walk in the dry! :rolleyes:

Was going to put heels on when i get there, but didn't bother kept boots on all day, but did take my trousers out of my socks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 656656)
stuff that!!! i'm to worried im guna fall to care about how i look!

My thoughts exactly. Dress for comfort (and safety) first.

Eric 08-12-2008 07:52

Well, it's a balmy -23c here ... but there is still a little wind, not the 60km/h it was earlier, but still enough to make it seem a lot colder. We had a heavy snowfall last nite, but the city has all the main streets and most of the burbs all plowed out, and the sidewalk plows and sanders are hard at work. And here I sit in my igloo, in front of a roaring fire, sipping on Guiness with fireball shooters, smoking fine Canadian weed, and munching on perogies smothered in HP sauce ... life could be worse:theband:

jambutty 08-12-2008 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 658245)
Well, it's a balmy -23c here ... but there is still a little wind, not the 60km/h it was earlier, but still enough to make it seem a lot colder. We had a heavy snowfall last nite, but the city has all the main streets and most of the burbs all plowed out, and the sidewalk plows and sanders are hard at work. And here I sit in my igloo, in front of a roaring fire, sipping on Guiness with fireball shooters, smoking fine Canadian weed, and munching on perogies smothered in HP sauce ... life could be worse:theband:

Maybe you would consider posting a picture of your snow laden locale to put our miserable few centimetres that lasts for no more than a day or two into some sort of perspective.

These “oh no! Two snow flakes – the world is doomed” whinging brigade would be put in their place.

Eric 08-12-2008 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 658252)
Maybe you would consider posting a picture of your snow laden locale to put our miserable few centimetres that lasts for no more than a day or two into some sort of perspective.

These “oh no! Two snow flakes – the world is doomed” whinging brigade would be put in their place.

Maybe I should do that ... but I will wait untill we have had another major storm ... pictures of the fresh stuff, before the plows have got at it are so much better ... I think we have a different attitude to snow and cold. We know it's coming; so most of us just decide to get out and enjoy it .... if one looks only at the negative aspects of winter, one can easily get the winter blues ... but there are many winter activities to enjoy; all one has to do is bundle up and get out there: skate, ski, snowshoe, snowboard, do some ice fishing, winter camping maybe or .... just curl up in front of a nice fire. And then there is hockey ... mayhem on ice.

Just crossed my mind that Canada came of age in a snowstorm: April 9, 1917, the Germans on Vimy Ridge woke up to Gen. Andy McNaughten's creeping barage and thousands of po'd Canadians charging out of a snowstorm to kick their asses out of trenches they had held since 1914.:theband: Many historian argue that it was this action, rather than the British North America Act of 1867, that demonstrated Canada's independent status.

Here endeth the Canadian history lesson for the day;)

LancYorkYankee 08-12-2008 19:24

We're ranging from -2C to -9C down this way. The woodstove is fully firing and continue to haul many truckloads. I do hope it snows but now there calling for a rainy warm-up.

Eric 08-12-2008 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee (Post 658490)
We're ranging from -2C to -9C down this way. The woodstove is fully firing and continue to haul many truckloads. I do hope it snows but now there calling for a rainy warm-up.

Sounds great ... nothing like a little cold weather to make you appreciate the joys of a woodstove or an open fire:D

jaysay 09-12-2008 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 658492)
Sounds great ... nothing like a little cold weather to make you appreciate the joys of a woodstove or an open fire:D

What about the Carbon Emissions Eric;)

Eric 09-12-2008 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 658616)
What about the Carbon Emissions Eric;)

We get those from the coal fired generating plants in Ohio:mad:

jambutty 09-12-2008 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 658736)
We get those from the coal fired generating plants in Ohio:mad:

And you also get them from wood burning stoves.

The wood that you burn used to be a tree and trees absorb CO2. Then when the wood is burned the CO2 is released back into the atmosphere.

Or put another way the wood that you burn is immature (by a few million years) coal or oil.

Eric 10-12-2008 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 658773)
And you also get them from wood burning stoves.

The wood that you burn used to be a tree and trees absorb CO2. Then when the wood is burned the CO2 is released back into the atmosphere.

Or put another way the wood that you burn is immature (by a few million years) coal or oil.

This I'm aware of .... however, most of the air pollution we have in Canada comes borne on the SW winds from the good ole US of A .... when the winds come from the north or the north west ... good clean Canadian air .... we have clear skies and great air quality. And, for the romantically inclined, star-filled skies at night:D

Eric 10-12-2008 21:10

If you want to see a little of how we take to winter, visit cityofkingston.ca/residents ... and you will see a webcam scene of the rink behind City Hall, and one of the many decorated trees in the city ...

(Sorry, tried to put in a link, but it didn't work).