Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-03-2006, 13:47   #1

Accy rail!!!

Having been a driver for many years i decided to travel by rail to Leeds last weekend, checked out the times etc on web and hurried down to station to book my ticket...Mmmm what a waste of time that was! Ticket office locked and not a soul about. Station looked like it was in the middle of a ghost town and looked like it had been unused for years...Good job i could pay on the train! come on northernline ....get your act together!!! Ahhhh well back to driving for me!
Old 20-03-2006, 14:28   #2

Re: Accy rail!!!

That's something that I find really annoying, there's all the health and environment benefits of using public transport but it doesn't cater for the needs of lots of us.
Old 20-03-2006, 14:39   #3

Yeah Basher i agree and would use public transport more often, but looking at accy station on friday i think id feel a bit uneasy if i had to travel at night from there ...J
Old 20-03-2006, 14:52   #4
I am Banned

now i have a car i will never use public transport again unless there is absolutely no other choice and i have exhausted all other options like lifts from a friend etc

now if our public transport was anything like public transport in spain then i would have no problem at all , every train i went on was spot on time to the second and was clean

every bust or train i have sat on in teh uk has been late and riddled with chewing gum and puke
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 14:56   #5

Yeah thats if they turn up in the first place chav1.... J
Old 20-03-2006, 15:03   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
every bust or train i have sat on
I didn't know busts were a form of public transport.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 15:05   #7

Thumbs up Re: Accy rail!!!

Ha ha.....well spotted yerself.......
Old 20-03-2006, 16:36   #8
Resting in peace

It's a cost-cutting measure. The trains operate like buses, you're supposed to get your ticket from the conductor. Church & Ossy doesn't even have a booking office to be open. But you have to admit, the train journey between Accy and Leeds is spectacular, and the scenery is free. The added bonus is that you get to look at it, which you don't when you're driving.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 17:07   #9

Well said pendy the views were great but still think accy.. and chucrh and ossy for that metter could do with a total face lift. How welcoming for out of towners to be greeted with a nice station instead of the dumps they are now. You know a few flowers and a good clean up wouldnt cost the earth.
Old 20-03-2006, 19:31   #10
God Member

Totally Agree, even though I've never been to your station. Image is everything.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 19:59   #11

Yeh I agree Accy does need a facelift as do most of the stations in east lancs. If the government in the UK spent as much on rail subsidies as they do on the roads in this country like in other european countries our railways would be up to the same spec as holland or spain etc.. I work for Northern Rail and agree that a little paint and a few flowers would brighten up the stations including Accrington, but then the vandals who frequent our stations at night would only wreck them...To deter these people would involve stations being staffed full time but again this comes down to who will pay for it. Accrington already has CCTV coverage from the local police station but this does not seem to deter the local vandals.
carlsbergaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 09:38   #12

Wink Re: Accy rail!!!

Yeah its such a shame we have to live with these "local vandals" me thinks the world has gone soft! When i was a kid we used to run from the local bobby and get a clip round the earhole if we were caught! Dont know if anyone remembers PILKY the local bobby in Ossy but he was someone to recon with....J
Old 22-03-2006, 14:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
It's a cost-cutting measure. The trains operate like buses, you're supposed to get your ticket from the conductor. Church & Ossy doesn't even have a booking office to be open. But you have to admit, the train journey between Accy and Leeds is spectacular, and the scenery is free. The added bonus is that you get to look at it, which you don't when you're driving.
Strictly speaking, Church & Ossy isn't a station it's a Halt,
agree totally about Accy station though, I remember when there was a proper waiting room on the Blackburn side, it sometimes even had a coal fire in Winter.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 14:44   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby
Strictly speaking, Church & Ossy isn't a station it's a Halt,
agree totally about Accy station though, I remember when there was a proper waiting room on the Blackburn side, it sometimes even had a coal fire in Winter.
When did it stop being a station?

It's announced at Preston just like all the other stops.

It must have once have been a station because it had a station master's house and a ticket office.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 15:32   #15
God Member

I travel to and from Accy to Falkirk by train and agree Accy station isnt the best. Must say though public transport for me at home is worlds ahead of Accies. The rail service is clean modern and punctual and a lot of the stations havnt change even Polmont has the old station house above the ticket office and a heated waiting room on both sides. There are very few "halts" as such and they too have a ticket office open from 06:00 to 19:00.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..