Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2020, 19:12   #1
Senior Member+

Cheese and Egg?

Hey everyone!

Yes yes been a while since i made a post buy when it comes down to such a thing like this meal of which i have not heard of anyone anywhere else eating since i was a kid - I feel the best place to ask is here!

Since my mother passing in 2017 i have been living with my Dad and I remember my mum making this particular meal for dad often as i remember he was quite fond of it. Mum liked it too i think, she could never eat cheese unless it was cooked. So I thought it would be nice if I tried to make it for us to eat. Yesterday would've been my mums birthday and it had me thinking of some good times.

So all i know it as is Cheese + Egg.

Yep Cheese and Egg. Specifically Lancashire cheese I recall. So i gather it being Lancashire cheese perhaps this meal is native to around our parts?

So All i really recall was mum taking it out of the oven on a long tray and it was a layer of cheese with eggs on top cooked into the cheese. I would love to know how to make it. Anyone any recipies.

Hope you are all well
rob
Stevie R likes this.
Old 15-10-2020, 19:55   #2

Re: Cheese and Egg?

No need to mess about with the oven, just grate enough Lancashire cheese for how many people you are serving into an ovenproof dish, put under the grill until melted,remove from the grill and crack as many eggs as you need on top of the cheese; put back under the grill until eggs are to your liking;A couple of slices of brown bread and butter and the jobs done.
Cheese and Egg is still one of my favourite dishes,(when my missus allows).
Regards, The Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 20:32   #3
Beacon of light

Yes Rob...taddy has it right.....it is a really simple dishto rustle up.
I don't make it because I can't eat cheese these days(or at least not in the quantity that is required in this dish).
My grandma used to add a couple of dashes of worcester sauce before cracking the eggs on top...and she liked it to be strong cheddar.
My Grandad liked this if he had been out boozing and as they had a range, if the fire was lit then the oven was hot...so it was an easy supper.
Restless, pifco and taddy like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:21   #4

My God, this brings back memories! I've really never thought about this dish for the past 65 years or so!
My Dad loved this dish which his Mother always made for him and the family in Great Harwood.
The recipes supplied by Taddy & Margaret are correct, although my Dad preferred it done in the oven.
Cheers
Restless and taddy like this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:34   #5

Hazel has just reminded me about adding onions to the above dish,if you like the taste of cheese and onion, (as I do);just chop up and boil the onion before mixing it with the cheese.a dish high in taste and (chlorestrol). Is that spelt right Marge?.
Old 16-10-2020, 10:07   #6
Beacon of light

No Taddy, but it doesn't matter....we know what you mean.
Old 16-10-2020, 10:12   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
My God, this brings back memories! I've really never thought about this dish for the past 65 years or so!
My Dad loved this dish which his Mother always made for him and the family in Great Harwood.
The recipes supplied by Taddy & Margaret are correct, although my Dad preferred it done in the oven.
Cheers
My Grandma had a large cream enamel range...it had the oven attached to it and a water boiler too....which you filled with a lading can.
If the fire was lit, then the oven was hot.
My grandma made lovely cakes and biscuits in this oven, though I cannot recall there being anything on it to regulate the temperature.
So her cheese and eggs were done in the oven of the range.
I cannot recall her adding onions to this dish.....and my grandad liked onions, he could eat a raw one like I would eat an apple....then he would chase you trying to give you 'onion kisses'.....would that be child abuse today?
Restless, DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
Old 16-10-2020, 10:21   #8

A mate of mine also eats onions like others would eat an apple but he puts peels them and then sticks them in the micro wave for a couple or three minutes.
Old 16-10-2020, 10:49   #9
Beacon of light

No Grandad liked the raw...and he liked the Spanish onions best.
He said they kept him free of colds....and that was true, he only ever ailed hangovers.
taddy likes this.
Old 16-10-2020, 17:38   #10
Full Member+

Gosh your bringing back memories here. My mum used to put cheese pieces on a plate , crack an egg in the middle , then put in oven for about 20 mins , she would be in here elements eating this , meanwhile I would go out of the room as I did not like cheese then and it made meal feel yulk.
Restless likes this.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 05:52   #11
Senior Member+

The grill isnt really an option here as we have the most terrible grill imaginable. But im looking forward to giving this a try over the weekend
taddy likes this.
Old 17-10-2020, 10:26   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

In all honesty I've never heard of such a meal & I grew up in a house were both parents had experience as cooks, my Dad in the galley of a Merchant ship & my Mum was in the RN shore based. Closest I've come to similar would have been cheesy omlettes.
taddy likes this.
Old 17-10-2020, 13:01   #13
Beacon of light

Son, I think it might be a local delicacy...and it is definitely something that was enjoyed by many of the oder generation.
I think maybe it fell out of favour when we were brainwashed with the idea that dairy was the devil and would give us a heart attack just looking at it.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
Old 17-10-2020, 14:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
In all honesty I've never heard of such a meal & I grew up in a house were both parents had experience as cooks, my Dad in the galley of a Merchant ship & my Mum was in the RN shore based. Closest I've come to similar would have been cheesy omlettes.
To be classed as fresh, eggs need to be eaten less than three weeks after being layed; your dad would have struggled to have kept a hen coop complete with cluckers on board any ship that did not see land for weeks on end, unless of course he used powdered egg.Where the powdered chickens that gave birth to the powdered eggs came from has always baffled me but I thought that your mum may have heard of it because Scouseland was and in my opinion still is in the County Palatine of Lancashire.
Regards, the Luddite.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 17-10-2020, 14:59   #15

As an aside to my last post,our Monarch is Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth the second; Duke of Lancaster, God bless her.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..