Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2007, 22:38   #16
mez
God Member

Re: lazy eye operation

yes i agree, you should let him have the operation , my cousin did some 40odd yrs ago, it was awful when you spoke to him & you didn't know if he was looking at you or something else, your son will thank you im sure.
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2007, 23:24   #17
Senior Member+

i put the question in because the hospital told me it was cosmetic and wouldnt affect his eye sight at all, every surgery comes with risks and the op involves knocking him out and cutting into the muscles in his eyes and tightening them up. he can read better than most children his age and it has not affected his development at all.. i only wanted the opinion of other people and possibly the experience of someone who had been in my position.. i am his mum and i am scared.. and i was hoping that the other accyweb members could make me feel better about the decision.. i know that i am me and my son is different but i am allegic to anything stronger than a paracetamol and i am worried about affects of the anasthetic. i know it might sound stupid but i am his mum and its my job to worry about him..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 23:31   #18
God Member

Oh Em we all worry about our kids even when they have grown up, don't think anybody was berating you far from it. June has told you she had the operation as a child and is glad she did. I think your concerns go a bit deeper with you having allergy problems so my advice to you is speak to your doctor or someone before making the decision.
Old 14-11-2007, 06:31   #19
Resting in Peace

Yes, so sorry Emamum, very easy for people not emotionally involved to see things in black and white, isn't it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 06:45   #20
God Member

In some ways though Latex, thats the whole point of asking Qs like this in a forum like this where you already have a feeling of knowing that people will give you an answer that isn't tainted by the emotions that are affecting you .

Yes its black and white to us and I think that is one of teh greatest parts of our answer. We make it without teh worry and heartache that emamum is having bouncing round her head.

Go for it Emamum. The Hospitals are very good now especially with children. A friend of mine suffered and was teased etc terribly.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 07:00   #21
Resident Waffler

If a child of mine wanted a purely cosmetic op to change the shape of their nose, ears etc then I would be against it because I'd feel it was unnecessary - but if a child of mine was disfigured and an op could change that then I would go for it. Those are two opposite ends of the spectrum.

If correcting a lazy eye was all that insignificant why would the NHS bother trying? The fact that they do indicates to me that they regard it as quite important to the child's quality of life.

In spite of what you were told I don't think most lay people would regard this lazy eye op as purely cosmetic because not having it will affect your son's childhood.

No operation is totally without possible danger but this really is a simple op. It might sound dramatic cutting into a muscle but that needs to be done because what is happening is that the muscle at one side is stronger than the other side and that is why the eye is pulled over to the side.

It sounds a little like you have already decided not to let him have the op and that you were looking for people to tell you that you've done the right thing. I can understand your worries as a mother. I've had plenty of times when I've been worried about my kids but I think it would help if you talked over your worries with the hospital anaesthetist who will know far more about any possible risks involved than any of us do.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 07:37   #22
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

My grandson had it done and I would say go for it, wouldn't even hesitate, made such a difference to his quality of life, no more name calling etc.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 08:38   #23
Senior Member+

I have told the hospital that i will go ahead with the surgery as it gives me time to think about it before its done. if i said no straight away then i wouldnt be able to change my mind.. i dont know what to do... my sister didnt have the surgery because her mum (my dads ex-wife) was also told it was cosmetic.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 14-11-2007, 08:41   #24
Resident Waffler

It is cosmetic in as much as it isn't life saving but there's cosmetic and cosmetic if you know what I mean. Changeing some feature because you fancy a different look is, in my opinion, a pointless waste but correcting a defect is a different kettle of fish.

Did your sister ever have the op or does she still have a lazy eye? How does she feel about it? Would she rather it had been done?

Old 14-11-2007, 08:45   #25
Senior Member+

she didnt have the op. she has special needs that affect her balance and development etc.. she doesnt really say much about it and she isnt bullied for it either

Old 14-11-2007, 08:49   #26
Resident Waffler

Has your son ever said anything about it himself?

Old 14-11-2007, 08:49   #27
Senior Member+

The op maybe cosmetic at the moment while hes young but maybe when he gets older they will be able to do something for his eyesight they are working things out all the time now it wasnt that long ago that they made the lazer surgery, i dont know what is wrong with his eyes but my daughter who is 8 now has very bad eyes she has (not sure how to spell it!) astygmatism and even with her glasses which are a high prescription when she is 17 her eyesight will be below the driving standard, she doesnt like to wear glasses and even more the thought that she will have to wear them forever contacts wont correct her eyes, if there was an op she could have so that she could wear contacts instead of glasses then i would let her have it even though it would be cosmetic and wouldnt change the fact that she would still need the aid of glasses/contacts.

I dont know if that makes sense but i know what i mean! lol

What im saying is what you do now might help him in the future and theres the fact that if he gets it done now he has less chance of remembering it later when he gets older, it might be more traumatic for him when hes older if he was to choose to get it done for himself.

But at the end of the day we can only give an opinion the decision is yours, i wish you all the luck. x
Old 14-11-2007, 08:51   #28
Senior Member+

he doesnt understand

Old 14-11-2007, 08:55   #29
Resident Waffler

I'm puzzled that at 6 years old he doesn't understand that he has a lazy eye?

Old 14-11-2007, 09:01   #30
Senior Member+

he knows that his eyes dont move together but since he has always had it, its normal to him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..