Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2007, 21:34   #1
Senior Member+

lazy eye operation

has anyone here (or their children) had the an operation to correct a lazy eye (squint)? my son has been offered it and i am not sure whether to go for it as i have been told it is puely cosmetic and i am against cosmetic surgery for children... but if he doesnt have it soon it will be too late he is 6 now and they advise that they have it before they start school but its only just been offered. We have tried the patch and eye excercises but it is getting worse and is on both eyes.. he already wears glasses and will still need to either way... any one any input/advice? thanx

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012

Last edited by emamum; 13-11-2007 at 21:36.
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2007, 21:38   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: lazt eye operation

do you mean lazy eye emamum23? if so i would think its worth having it, reason being kids can really take the mick at school.
Old 13-11-2007, 21:42   #3
Senior Member+

Re: lazy eye operation

but that would mean having it for cosmetic reasons and i dont think someone so young should have that, there are always risks in surgery..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 21:44   #4
God Member

I think you should let him have it done , as you say it is getting worse. I don't think it should be classed as cosmetic surgery either, to me it is surgery that is needed.
Old 13-11-2007, 21:48   #5
Senior Member+

I had the operation at Blackburn Infirmary when I was eight years old. I'd also had the plaster on the specs routine and had to make two rabbits into one whilst staring into a machine. Even though I feel mine 'wander' when I'm tired, I'm so glad that my parents elected for treatment.

I remember the teasing at school and also all the photos of me with one eye stuck in the corner.

It didn't happen to my children but I would have jumped at the chance of an operation for them if it had.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 21:53   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

agree with bernie its necessary not cosmetic, also june has confirmed the point about being teased at school, think very carefully school can be hard enough without extra pressure.
Old 13-11-2007, 22:01   #7

My cousin had lazy eye, doesnt take long at all and now he's fine.
Old 13-11-2007, 22:03   #8
Senior Member+

One chap once said to me 'Are you looking at me or him behind me?'. That has stayed with me for all those years.

Sorry to go on but I'm sure your son's confidence will grow when he can look folk in the eye without being concerned about what his are doing.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:06   #9
God Member

I would get it done if it was one of my children, emamum23.
Old 13-11-2007, 22:07   #10
Resident Waffler

I would recommend that you let him have the surgery. It may seem trivial and unnecessary to you but if other kids make his life a misery at school because of it that will affect his school work and everything. Kids can be bad enough to others just for wearing glasses.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:10   #11
Resting in Peace

Gotta' ask the question of yourself : Will he thank you later for having it put right, or berate you for not allowing it ?

If it were my son, would not hesitate and go ahead.. what a difference it will make to him. Cosmetic !!! Rubbish, this is all about self-esteem,not being an odd one out and confidence for the rest of his life.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:12   #12
Passed away 25-11-09

Yes do go ahead with it. He won't thank you for not doing it if you leave it and he grows up with a squint. I don't think it's a cosmetic operation, as such, it's necessary for his self-confidence and may improve his sight too.
Old 13-11-2007, 22:19   #13
Resident Waffler

A member of my family didn't have the op as a child and couldn't wait to have it as an adult even though it wasn't as easy to do by then. He'd had a miserable childhood and not just cosmetic but he'd also had headaches and been unable to concentrate for long to read or write. He was also the butt of jokes and teasing by other kids at school. I cannot understand why his parents put him through that when it could so easily have been avoided and he could have had a happier childhood.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:22   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I cannot understand why his parents put him through that when it could so easily have been avoided and he could have had a happier childhood.
Exactly Willow, don't even understand why Emamum is throwing out this question to debate
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 22:28   #15

Book the child in ema. My daughter had this as a child, luckily patches and eye exercises sorted it out. Had that not worked and the alternative was an operation, I would not have hesitated.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..