Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2007, 21:25   #46
God Member

Re: lazy eye operation

I had this operation done when i was 4 yrs old many moons ago and it didnt make any difference to me at all . i still have a problem to this day . years later one of my children had the same prob as me with his eye only worse . we had him on an eye patch which improved his actual vision , then was offered the op . I did go ahead with it but god i wish i hadnt . His eyesight deteriorated and the agony he went through after the op were just horrible .
they did offer him the op after that again but i declined because no way could i have seen my child go through all that agony again for such a poor outcome . ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-11-2007, 00:46   #47
Yank in King Art's Court!

My sister has struggled with this all of her 49 years. I asked her opinion in this. Here's is her thoughts:

it IS a problem that follows you forever and is so easy to fix as a child rather than as an adult esp now a days...how many surgeries did i have and none of them worked....even now, my eyes are so screwed up that he would have to operate on both of them for it to be completely healed........

but the main point i want to make is that it is NOT merely cosmetic....there is a process with the fusion of the image that, for me, does not "work" but if my eyes had been corrected earlier, my brain may have learned how to do it...........

basically, for me, i only use one eye....so early surgery would have given me depth perception etc...my goodness...often wonder what playing sports WITH depth perception could have done for me....i dont know what it is...i cannot "do" 3-D movies with those glasses bc my eyes do not fuse the image etc....etc..

and maybe not all cross eyes are like mine.....maybe it IS cosmetic...in my case it was completely not...

but, again, even if just cosmetic, it has made the WORLD of difference even for me as a 45 year old...finally for the first tiem in my life (when i am not tired) i can look people in the eye and they actually KNOW i am looking at them....it is sooooooo freeing....i think i never worked on keeping eye contact with people bc i was so tired of people asking me who i was looking at...

it has helped tremendously in school - teaching........

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 14:11   #48
Senior Member+

hi, some ppl asked me to keep them updated.... well.... we went to the hospital today for his appointment with the consulatant and he said it is still getting worse, as we have tried everything else the only option left is the op, so he is now on the list... they will send a letter through for the date of the op... thanx to everyone that posted their opinions and experience..

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 14:45   #49
God Member

Sure your doing the right thing, it sounds like the only option.
Old 19-12-2007, 15:07   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

best wishes to yer lad ema, agree with bernie.
Old 19-12-2007, 17:59   #51
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
hi, some ppl asked me to keep them updated.... well.... we went to the hospital today for his appointment with the consulatant and he said it is still getting worse, as we have tried everything else the only option left is the op, so he is now on the list... they will send a letter through for the date of the op... thanx to everyone that posted their opinions and experience..
whos the surgeon?
mrs mohan?
my son had the op , but it aint cured him, the only differnce is he doesnt now squint with his glasses on, but take em off and ------->it goes in
Old 19-12-2007, 18:02   #52
Senior Member+

erm.... dunno, they didnt say, his consultant is mr vijaykumar...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 19-12-2007, 18:05   #53
God Member

Would you still let him have the op knowing what you know now Panther?
Old 19-12-2007, 18:11   #54
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Would you still let him have the op knowing what you know now Panther?
in a way yes, because like i said before he used to squint all the time even with glasses on, but now he doesnt with the glasses on....... the only downside to the op is having 2 weeks of school, not being able to play out and not rubbing his eyes ...oh and having to put the drops in both eyes for 10 days i think it was
other than that he was fine....no blackeyes, ya couldnt even tell he had has the op to be honest
Old 19-12-2007, 18:14   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
in a way yes, because like i said before he used to squint all the time even with glasses on, but now he doesnt with the glasses on....... the only downside to the op is having 2 weeks of school, not being able to play out and not rubbing his eyes ...oh and having to put the drops in both eyes for 10 days i think it was
other than that he was fine....no blackeyes, ya couldnt even tell he had has the op to be honest
2 weeks off school?? and the drops are gunna be a problem, he kicked off big time as soon as he saw her pick up the bottle, he hates them!!

Old 19-12-2007, 18:14   #56
God Member

Got to be better if he doesn't squint all the time.
Old 19-12-2007, 18:21   #57
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
2 weeks off school?? and the drops are gunna be a problem, he kicked off big time as soon as he saw her pick up the bottle, he hates them!!
do ya mean the drops to make his pupil dilate?
my son hated them too, ..but theses drops didnt bother him, there like an antibiotic so his eyes dont get infected
Old 19-12-2007, 21:07   #58
God Member

Hope it works for your lad emma .
im not hopeful but having said that i am going back some yrs ..
I really do wish him all the best love , let us know how he goes .will ya ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 21:19   #59
Resident Waffler

Quote:
erm.... dunno, they didnt say, his consultant is mr vijaykumar...
Oooh he used to be my consultant but now I have Miss Abugreen, not that I've ever seen her. Hope all goes well for him. I'm not over thrilled with those pupil dilating eye drops either but I have to put drops in every night and they are not a problem once you get used to putting them in. The trick is to put them away from where you're looking, which isn't easy to do yourself but not hard to do for someone else.

Good luck to your lad with the op.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 14:37   #60
Senior Member+

thought i would update this.... Tyler is booked in for the op on the 11th of march at Blackburn ... we have to be there for 8am!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..