Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2010, 13:39   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: lost bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I wondered too if it had been found, hope so.

Have been watching a bird this week whilst up Ossy Moors ... sure it is a common one, but can't just identify it.

It hovers and glides (without flapping its wings) and then dives down suddenly. Looks about the size of a dove with larger wing span. Any ideas Kestrel ?
Could be a Sparrowhawk or even a kestrel Kate, did it make any sort of noise
Old 30-10-2010, 15:28   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Could be a Sparrowhawk or even a kestrel Kate, did it make any sort of noise
No, Jaysay, no noise at all ... that was the fascination ... so silent and gliding on the wind, before it dive bombed into the fields (obviously after some prey).
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:04   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
No, Jaysay, no noise at all ... that was the fascination ... so silent and gliding on the wind, before it dive bombed into the fields (obviously after some prey).
Hi Katex the only other british bird of prey that hovers is a Buzzard but the size is much bigger than a kestrel. Sparrowhawks don't hover - so perhaps if it's the size of a dove it's a kestrel?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:40   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Hi Katex the only other british bird of prey that hovers is a Buzzard but the size is much bigger than a kestrel. Sparrowhawks don't hover - so perhaps if it's the size of a dove it's a kestrel?
Thanks ... could well be ...have googled and certainly fits the description. Is always around .. will try to get a 'photo next time (try, being the operative word .. LOL).

Wonder what prey it was after ? Lots of rabbits in that field... would they not be a little large though ? Can it see field mice ?

I did muse it could have been Bubbles .. but didn't come when I shouted its name..
Old 30-10-2010, 17:46   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thanks ... could well be ...have googled and certainly fits the description. Is always around .. will try to get a 'photo next time (try, being the operative word .. LOL).

Wonder what prey it was after ? Lots of rabbits in that field... would they not be a little large though ? Can it see field mice ?

I did muse it could have been Bubbles .. but didn't come when I shouted its name..
Buzzard is quite a big impressive looking bird - bigger than a carrion crow, that said they are happy to eat worms, but can catch rabbits and some birds and also eat dead stuff.
Old 30-10-2010, 17:59   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:

It probably wouldn't come anyway
Old 30-10-2010, 18:19   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Buzzard is quite a big impressive looking bird - bigger than a carrion crow, that said they are happy to eat worms, but can catch rabbits and some birds and also eat dead stuff.
Sorry .. meant Kestrel. Definitely not a Buzzard.
Old 31-10-2010, 09:54   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Sorry .. meant Kestrel. Definitely not a Buzzard.
Here you are Kate have a look at this video shows a kestrel and sparrowhawk...

Old 31-10-2010, 10:25   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Think she'd have known if she'd seen a Buzzard kestrelx, the first time I saw one it scared the living daylights out of me, it swooped right in front of a vehicle I was driving
Old 31-10-2010, 12:49   #25
Resting in Peace

90% sure is a kestrel now, kestrel (lol) ... hope he/she is still around next week. Was very soothing to watch whilst having me fag in the car at lunch.
Old 31-10-2010, 14:46   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
90% sure is a kestrel now, kestrel (lol) ... hope he/she is still around next week. Was very soothing to watch whilst having me fag in the car at lunch.
You've probably put the poor little sod off it'll be a none smoker
Old 31-10-2010, 16:39   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Have been watching a bird this week whilst up Ossy Moors ... sure it is a common one, but can't just identify it.
If the bird had a fag hanging out of its mouth while pushing a pram with a dirty faced toddler in it eating a Gregs pasty then you should have pointed it in the direction of Accrington.
Old 31-10-2010, 17:40   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If the bird had a fag hanging out of its mouth while pushing a pram with a dirty faced toddler in it eating a Gregs pasty then you should have pointed it in the direction of Accrington.
Quite right Neil Accys the place via Church
Old 31-10-2010, 18:00   #29
JCB

Quote:
From what katex says it seems quite at home in Ossy .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 18:01   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Get stuffed, ya aint dumping yer locals on us.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..