Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2010, 11:05   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: lost bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Over the moors where I work I'm intrigued Kate, took up sheep farming
No sheep up there (I don't think) LOL. No ... is on a converted farm house down Pot House Lane ... but has a separate building with an office. Brilliant views 360 degrees.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2010, 14:46   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
The other day ... over the moors where I work ... a batch of noisy seagulls flew over with another bird that didn't fly the same way.

Read later in the Observer that the tip was using Peregrine Falcons to scare the Seagulls off .. must have been this.

Had sorta' mentioned this on another forum .. have been asked why should they wish to frighten off the Seagulls as they would eat lots of the garbage ... presume because they make a mess of some sort or maybe noise nuisance ?

Kestrel ... sure you can answer this for me..
Hi Kate X, is that Whinney Hill? Just found this article on it...

Hawks used to scare off seagulls from Hyndburn rubbish tip (From Blackburn Citizen)

Are any seagulls nesting on buildings in Accrington or Blackburn areas? If so they can be a nuiscance. But I don't know if falcons would keep seagulls away if used repeatedly, but it depends how many? as they can get used to them unless they actually kill some?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 15:24   #63
Resting in Peace

The report was similar in the Observer, Kestrel, they are using 5 by the looks of it. This one I saw was certainly worrying them. Presumed they had flown from Whinney Hill ... had never seen them over the moors before.

Where exactly do Seagulls nest then ? Don't think any in town though.
Old 19-11-2010, 15:29   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
The report was similar in the Observer, Kestrel, they are using 5 by the looks of it. This one I saw was certainly worrying them. Presumed they had flown from Whinney Hill ... had never seen them over the moors before.

Where exactly do Seagulls nest then ? Don't think any in town though.

They nest on the top of buildings - Gloucester which is not by the sea has loads of them breeding!
Old 19-11-2010, 15:50   #65
Resting in Peace

Is that where they were threatening to cull them by shooting them a few weeks ago .. mainly due to the noise disturbance ?
Old 19-11-2010, 15:57   #66
God Member

I have noticed an increase in the seagull(landgull) flock visiting Heys field Ossy - maybe due to the use of hawks at Whinney Hill.

They do not pose a nuisance on the field, and are quite interesting to watch as they 'raindance' for worms.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 18:05   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No sheep up there (I don't think) LOL. No ... is on a converted farm house down Pot House Lane ... but has a separate building with an office. Brilliant views 360 degrees.
Oh so your working in Gods own Country, you should have said, we'd have put the bunting out Kate
Old 19-11-2010, 18:09   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have noticed an increase in the seagull(landgull) flock visiting Heys field Ossy - maybe due to the use of hawks at Whinney Hill.

They do not pose a nuisance on the field, and are quite interesting to watch as they 'raindance' for worms.
There's always some sat on the roof opposite my place Margaret, must be having a breather after all that rain dancing
Old 20-11-2010, 11:25   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Is that where they were threatening to cull them by shooting them a few weeks ago .. mainly due to the noise disturbance ?
Probably - they should turn Whinney hill into a bird reserve and make a big lake there - give the seagulls a proper home - they have done that in London in a few places.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:55   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:

Had sorta' mentioned this on another forum .. have been asked why should they wish to frighten off the Seagulls as they would eat lots of the garbage ... presume because they make a mess of some sort or maybe noise nuisance ?
katex, yes they eat a lot of the garbage with the result that they end up full of salmonella, ecoli etc! Then when they dump on you, your children or your garden YOU can catch it. Apparently the bugs don't upset them, pidgeons are the same problem, that's why people shouldn't feed them in town centres.It just encourages them.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 17:53   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
katex, yes they eat a lot of the garbage with the result that they end up full of salmonella, ecoli etc! Then when they dump on you, your children or your garden YOU can catch it. Apparently the bugs don't upset them, pidgeons are the same problem, that's why people shouldn't feed them in town centres.It just encourages them.
Rats with wings
Old 25-11-2010, 21:36   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am actually a bird watcher and I don't think I've ever been crapped on by a gull or pigeon or any other bird. Gulls often crap on people when protecting their nests - but as a rule being crapped on by a feathered friend (or fiend) is a rare occurence.
Old 26-11-2010, 09:14   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I am actually a bird watcher and I don't think I've ever been crapped on by a gull or pigeon or any other bird. Gulls often crap on people when protecting their nests - but as a rule being crapped on by a feathered friend (or fiend) is a rare occurence.
I tend to agree kestrelx but they sure have a beef with my windows, the window cleaner did mine yesterday morning about 9-15am and by 1pm some lovely little feathered creature had crapped all over one of them
Old 26-11-2010, 09:56   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I don't think I've ever been crapped on by a gull or pigeon or any other bird.
I must be unlucky then. We were sat outside a cafe in Spain, having a tapas and drink.Unknown to me a cable ran right over my head. A very large pidgeon perched on it. It had obviously been trained as a bomb aimer by the Dambusters as it picked the exact aiming point. Spanish food must have the same effect on pidgeons as it has on me- it did the most enormouse poo exactly on target. I had some hair then and it was impossible to clean up! Almost put me off my beer!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:06   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I must be unlucky then. We were sat outside a cafe in Spain, having a tapas and drink.Unknown to me a cable ran right over my head. A very large pidgeon perched on it. It had obviously been trained as a bomb aimer by the Dambusters as it picked the exact aiming point. Spanish food must have the same effect on pidgeons as it has on me- it did the most enormouse poo exactly on target. I had some hair then and it was impossible to clean up! Almost put me off my beer!
Glad you said almost put you off your beer Gordon

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..