Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-02-2004, 10:30   #16
Senior Member+

Mik, if you are english and proud, how come you live over in germany and not here.A lot of people like yourself are patriotic, yet choose to live abroad. No offence just a little thought going around my head.
Old 29-02-2004, 19:08   #17
Senior Member+

No offence taken Janet.To be honest with you the proudness and Patriasm only came out in me after moving abroad
Old 29-02-2004, 20:06   #18
God Member

Hi Jam,

My apologies for the terminological inexactitude. However, given that H.R.H. the Duke of York has had such a distinguished career within the Senior Service, I think within the context of his visit, then the use of Jack rather than the correct flag can possibly be excused. I thought an old sea salt like yourself would have been right at the front of the happy crowd!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 20:52   #19

October last year my wife and I attended raf Lossiemouth for the presentation of a new colour to 51 squadron raf regiment doing the honour the Duke of York He was in a air commodores dress uniform and was the smartest man on parade Afterwards he went round meeting all the different groups married families, veterans,lads off the squadron an absolute gent Click on to www.rockape.org.uk scroll down to photo section click year 2000 scroll down first page click page two several pictures of the parade at the bottom of the page
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 15:33   #20
God Member

Thank you Keith,

One is always pleased to see the high standards maintained by H.R.H. Air Commodore the Duke of York. One regrets awfully the republican sentiment displayed by some on this website. One wonders where they come from...
Old 03-03-2004, 12:25   #21
Junior Member+

So if you stick it where it belongs in HRH Andy, it becomes known as the Union Jack Ass - right?
Jo in Bolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:57   #22
God Member

One is so distressed that once again, a completely unwarranted attack is made upon HRH Admiral of the Fleet, Air Commodore Field Marshall the Duke of York, KC, etc etc....does anyone know his e.mail address? If so, send it to me and I shall write to him and humbly and graciously request that he reply to these scandoulous and scurrilious slurs upon his good name.

it would be nice to see "Yorkie" on the Accy Web. Do you think he's reading this as preperation for his momentous visit?
Old 03-03-2004, 13:04   #23
Junior Member+

Crumbs, Tealeaf my good chap, I hardly think HRH Duke of York would stay too long on Accy web. Far too many Jam butties and far too few Cucumber sarnies for his liking, I dare say.
Jo in Bolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 13:25   #24
God Member

How does one know that HRH the D o Y does not enjoy jam butties? One only has to read the dirty revelations of the so-called "butler to the celebreties, a.k.a. Mr Paul "traitor" Burrell that Our Sovereign Majesty, Defender of the Faith, Duke of Lancaster, Queen of England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other bits of the British Isles, enjoys her Kellogs Rice Crispies every morning. And if they're good enough for her, then why not a jam butty for the Prince?
Old 04-03-2004, 05:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
How does one know that HRH the D o Y does not enjoy jam butties? One only has to read the dirty revelations of the so-called "butler to the celebreties, a.k.a. Mr Paul "traitor" Burrell that Our Sovereign Majesty, Defender of the Faith, Duke of Lancaster, Queen of England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other bits of the British Isles, enjoys her Kellogs Rice Crispies every morning. And if they're good enough for her, then why not a jam butty for the Prince?
I know for a fact that he use to like his Chip Butties when he was down the Falklands.

There are a lot more (useless) hangers-on in Westminster, than in Buck Pal.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:36   #26
God Member

One wonders what the D o Y puts on his butties, does one not?
Old 04-03-2004, 16:45   #27
God Member

The following is the text of a letter I have just sent to HRH the Duke of York:

His Royal Highness,
The Prince Andrew, Duke of York
C/O Buckingham Palace
London
SW1

4th March 2004

Dear Your Royal Highness,

Re: Your Upcoming Visit to Accrington

It is with great interpretation that almost the entire town of Accrington – or Accy as it’s known round here, as well as Ozzy (a town where they’re known to be a bit daft) and Church & a few other places – are awaiting your arrival with baited breath. I say almost, because as one knows, in this day and age, one cannot avoid those of a republican tendency. Like those men of a different persuasion who are constantly lurking around the new toilets in Accy town centre, these buggars pop up everywhere.

However, back to the point; you’re coming to Accy, and on the basis that you ain’t been here before, you probably want to know what it’s like; well, it’s not quite what it was a year ago, because they’ve knocked about half of it down – but nevermind, you don’t know that. I do know that you pay a few of these visits, so you may be wandering whats in store for you when you get here. Well, not much – the council is skint so you might be lucky to get a handshake from the mayor & a chip butty, of which we know you are overtly fond of. Things are’nt that bad though – last month the council lost £1.8m ( a sum even your mum would not sneeze at) but the good news is that this week they managed to find £300,000 of it, so you never know, you might get a bouquet of flowers (as long as its not over 10quid because a lot of people might object to paying more). There will be no red carpet mind – apparently it’s being used to wrap up the Arndale Clock, but that’s another story.

Anyway, can I suggest that you sign on the Accringtonweb? It will tell you all about us. Don’t mess around on it though – if you fancy doing a bit of that then stick to the games section, otherwise you’ll be in trouble. I’m quite sure that after a few visits on there you’ll be tempted to extend your stay for a few days, so if you do, possibly the best place is the Dunkenhalgh. It’s a bit pricey, but you being who you are I’m sure you can negotiate a good discount. If you then fancy a few jars at night then grab a cab to the Stag at Church; they do a good pint of real ale there at a competitive price. If you can remember, bring your arrows – they’ve a hell of a darts team.

Anyway, that’s it for now. Drop me a reply if you can, but if not, I’ll be at the front of the queue to meet you.

See you then,

Your Loyal Subject,

Tealeaf.

PS – I know one of your hobbies is taking piccys - we’ve got some cracking photographers on the Accringtonweb. site Why don’t you take a few piccy’s of your visit & post ‘em on the site…we’d all love to see em.
Old 05-03-2004, 22:33   #28
Senior Member+

Hrh

Enough of all this jibberish! H.R.H. did indeed come to Accrington today and a good time was had by all! He landed somewhere behind Hollins School, by helicopter and was driven down Black Abbey Street, onto Bank Street and up Oak Street, to the main entrance of the North Lancs Training Group Premises.
H.R.H. The Duke of York, was the distinguished guest of honour when he opened the Group's new head offices on Oak Street on Fri 5th March 2004. The Groups's links with The Patron's Company began in 1996 when it was approached along with 29 other bodies, to save the Outward Bound Trust at Loch Eli, who's facilities the Group had used for a number of years. Each of the 30 bodies agreed to donate £10,000 per year. This enables the Outward Bound Trust to continue and develop people of all ages and abilities in the virtues of outward bound activities.

Last edited by Atarah; 05-03-2004 at 22:37. Reason: Prince's visit to Accrington 5th March 2004
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:57   #29

Just a minor point -- the OBT Centre is on Loch Eil which is on the so called Road to the Isles -- Ft Willy to Mallaig. I am sure it was just a typing error Atarah, but it could have resulted with someone travelling all over Scotland searching for Loch Eli.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:19   #30
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Where did you pitch your tent Tealeaf??
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..