Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   memories (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/memories-59641.html)

katex 25-10-2011 20:46

Re: memories

The shops between Redmans and Dutton Street changed hands many times ... the only ones I can remember that was there for any length of time, during my early years, was the material shop .. can't remember the name though .. Lightfoots ?

Thanks for saying Accrington Centre looks good, Claytonx ... I don't think it looks too bad either. Just need to remove all those buses from Peel Street and replace with a lovely square and it will be euphoric. :D

claytonx 25-10-2011 21:01

Going to have to park up and have a walk round

cashman 25-10-2011 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 942476)
I think that photo would have been taken from the Town Hall were the bus for Clayton would have gone from I remember woolworth as main by anything store, Accross from the Town Hall was Redmans on the corner of St James St under the Elite snooker but can anyone remember what was on the corner of Dutton St and the shops in between did the single decker leave from there for Fern Gore. I have just looked at Accrington center on Google looks good.

Funny that,i can't either, yet the other block between Church St @ Dutton St, was Barnes, Branded Lines, Woolworths, which i remember.:confused:

groove 26-10-2011 11:52

Groove thinks Cashman should start a page on Accyweb with his memories and tales of the pubs of Accy...Groove thinks Retlaw would have a great page called Retlaw remembers...Groove has read this forum for years now and never tires of listening to tales about Accy of the past.

Michael1954 26-10-2011 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by groove (Post 942606)
Groove thinks Cashman should start a page on Accyweb with his memories and tales of the pubs of Accy...Groove thinks Retlaw would have a great page called Retlaw remembers...Groove has read this forum for years now and never tires of listening to tales about Accy of the past.

You could also have your own page, perhaps called: Groovy Grooving with the Grooveman.

claytonx 26-10-2011 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 942520)
Funny that,i can't either, yet the other block between Church St @ Dutton St, was Barnes, Branded Lines, Woolworths, which i remember.:confused:

Was there a butchers on that block? Could it have been Burtons mens wear corner of Dutton st

jaysay 26-10-2011 17:50

What was the gents outfitters that was on that block, latter moving to the Arndale

Gremlin 26-10-2011 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 942630)
Was there a butchers on that block? Could it have been Burtons mens wear corner of Dutton st

Could it have been Weaver to Wearer or Alexandra tailors, I bought suits of both in the late 60's but can't remember just where they were.

claytonx 26-10-2011 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 942690)
Could it have been Weaver to Wearer or Alexandra tailors, I bought suits of both in the late 60's but can't remember just where they were.

Alexandra was on the corner of Birch St I bought a blue gaberdean suit the in my teen years what they called a zoot suit because it was very loose fitting and had large shoulders fitted. Bryan Mercer later had the shop diy one of the first in Accy.
I think weaver to wearer was on the same block as HSBC and Yorkshire Bank the other end

JCB 26-10-2011 19:57

Quote:

Could it have been Burtons mens wear corner of Dutton st

Yes I'm almost certain it was Burtons .

The single-decker buses outide that row of shops were the Willows Lane and Moscow Mill buses .

The Fern Gore bus was a double-decker which left from Peel St , next to the Baptist church .

Retlaw 26-10-2011 20:33

1 Attachment(s)
Corner of Dutton St.
Retlaw.

cashman 26-10-2011 20:43

Quote:

Yeh could be correct, though i can only remember Burtons when it was just a few shops past the Yorkshire Bank, Think the butchers may have been Dewhursts?:confused:

lancsdave 26-10-2011 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 942698)
Yeh could be correct, though i can only remember Burtons when it was just a few shops past the Yorkshire Bank, Think the butchers may have been Dewhursts?:confused:

I think Dewhurst were there when I was at co-op

Alan Gilmartin 27-10-2011 08:04

The name was Alexanders, and dont forget John Colliers, ( the window to watch ) it was a few doors up from Alexanders. Burtons on the corner of Dutton st, I think the Wimpy was next door.

jaysay 27-10-2011 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 942694)
Yes I'm almost certain it was Burtons .

The single-decker buses outide that row of shops were the Willows Lane and Moscow Mill buses .

The Fern Gore bus was a double-decker which left from Peel St , next to the Baptist church .

Burtons, that's the name of the gents outfitters I was thinking of JCB, nearly sure they had a shop on the corner of Dutton St.