Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   memories (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/memories-59641.html)

Margaret Pilkington 07-11-2011 19:05

Re: memories

My memory isn't bad(usually).....but, I'm now more convinced it was Maypole, rather than Melais...especially after seeing some of the old Pics of Melias at the foot of Eagle Street.

Retlaw 07-11-2011 19:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 945871)
My memory isn't bad(usually).....but, I'm now more convinced it was Maypole, rather than Melais...especially after seeing some of the old Pics of Melias at the foot of Eagle Street.

Margaret, just to show that your not going daft, I've cropped this from a 1914 Observer, part of a page when I was looking for Accrington Pals, note the two adresses.
Retlaw.

susie123 07-11-2011 20:20

Don't remember Melias at all, remember Ray Lynden at the old Palace, and only remember Maypole when it was on Broadway in the 60s. Looking at Retlaw's ad, I reckon it was common for these national grocery chains to have more than one shop years ago.

Margaret Pilkington 07-11-2011 20:43

Thanks Retlaw...not that I was around in 1914 you understand:)

Retlaw 07-11-2011 22:09

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 945894)
Thanks Retlaw...not that I was around in 1914 you understand:)

Here's another when you weren't around.
Retlaw.

Atarah 08-11-2011 06:25

The bottom photo showing a fabulous looking shop was FLACKS, along Blackburn Road. When they were after a name for the new pub which became THE CALDER, there was a competition to name it. I put forward the name FLACK's cos of that fab shop that had once been in the vacinity, but ............. of course, I never won! Still think it would have been an ace name for the pub!

jaysay 08-11-2011 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 945919)
Retlaw.

Ya memories from your childhood Walter:p:p:D

Retlaw 08-11-2011 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 945971)
Ya memories from your childhood Walter:p:p:D

No yours.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

mobertol 08-11-2011 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 945919)
Retlaw.

What beautiful shop front's they used to have -so much more elegant than todays and they were designed to draw you into the shop...

cashman 08-11-2011 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 945998)
What beautiful shop front's they used to have -so much more elegant than todays and they were designed to draw you into the shop...

Yep think it seemed to work well, also the fact there were very few or primitive alarms,made em much more attractive to burglars.:D

mobertol 08-11-2011 13:33

5 Attachment(s)
As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe's sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.

susie123 08-11-2011 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 946024)
Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.

They're not so much fashion conscious as stylish, whether wearing the latest trends or not. Couldn't get over the sight of a police woman in Florence with long black hair coming out from under her white helmet - wouldn't be allowed here!

One ofthe problems in this country is that women tend to follow fashion whether it suits them or not, and it often doesn't. And there is an awful lot of tat about - quantity rather than quality.

cashman 08-11-2011 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 946044)
They're not so much fashion conscious as stylish, whether wearing the latest trends or not. Couldn't get over the sight of a police woman in Florence with long black hair coming out from under her white helmet - wouldn't be allowed here!

One ofthe problems in this country is that women tend to follow fashion whether it suits them or not, and it often doesn't. And there is an awful lot of tat about - quantity rather than quality.

Agree many these days wouldn't know "Style" if it slapped em in the kisser.:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 08-11-2011 14:29

I don't think Accrington should be used as representative of the Uk.......there are many places where you can see interesting Window Displays. Harrogate is a fair example.

Susie, I think you are spot on with the observation about British women and fashion.....and what is it with women of a certain age dressing like teenagers?

claytonx 08-11-2011 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 946024)
As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe's sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

The way the Euro is going I think you will finish up with a lot of 1 Euro shops