Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   memories (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/memories-59641.html)

JCB 27-10-2011 09:40

Re: memories

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 942747)
Burtons, that's the name of the gents outfitters I was thinking of JCB, nearly sure they had a shop on the corner of Dutton St.

I was measured for my first suit there , Jaysay , by a friend of the family who was the manager . Though it took me a while to recall that that corner shop used to be Burtons . Grey brain cells and all that ;)

jaysay 27-10-2011 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 942758)
I was measured for my first suit there , Jaysay , by a friend of the family who was the manager . Though it took me a while to recall that that corner shop used to be Burtons . Grey brain cells and all that ;)

I got my first suit from there too JCB, 3 piece if I remember, which were all the rage in the 60s

JCB 27-10-2011 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 942759)
I got my first suit from there too JCB, 3 piece if I remember, which were all the rage in the 60s

And I bet you were served by my late friend , Michael . He was brother-in-law to Mr Almond who taught at Holy Family . I think you mentioned him once on the forum .

cashman 27-10-2011 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 942758)

The guy didn't have a ginger beard did he?

JCB 27-10-2011 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 942764)
The guy didn't have a ginger beard did he?

No , he never had a beard .

jaysay 27-10-2011 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 942762)
And I bet you were served by my late friend , Michael . He was brother-in-law to Mr Almond who taught at Holy Family . I think you mentioned him once on the forum .

Ya your right JCM Can't for the life in me think of his surname, in later years I used to drink with him in the Spot and I think he worked a Mullards at Simingston at the time, I know he sadly died quite young from a brain hemorrhage, was very sad at the time, his son came to see me from church on Sundays, until he went to college

fliss 27-10-2011 10:26

My goodness, I seem to have started something by talking about the old Accy TV dept. Now heres one...does anyone remember Sauls shop, an old grocers near the top of Grange St, they used to sell jam in 7lb stone jars.

cashman 27-10-2011 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliss (Post 942769)
My goodness, I seem to have started something by talking about the old Accy TV dept. Now heres one...does anyone remember Sauls shop, an old grocers near the top of Grange St, they used to sell jam in 7lb stone jars.

Sauls i'm sure has been mentioned before somewhere in nostalgis section fliss.:)

JCB 27-10-2011 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 942766)
Ya your right JCM Can't for the life in me think of his surname, in later years I used to drink with him in the Spot and I think he worked a Mullards at Simingston at the time, I know he sadly died quite young from a brain hemorrhage, was very sad at the time, his son came to see me from church on Sundays, until he went to college

Michael Conway , Jaysay . Yes he worked at Mullards , and his son is teaching in the Blackpool area now .

jaysay 27-10-2011 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 942850)
Michael Conway , Jaysay . Yes he worked at Mullards , and his son is teaching in the Blackpool area now .

Ya thanks JCB, at one time I think his son was going to be a priest, was he called Steven, its about 12 years since I saw him

JCB 27-10-2011 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 942857)
Ya thanks JCB, at one time I think his son was going to be a priest, was he called Steven, its about 12 years since I saw him

Yes , he's called Stephen and his older brother is John . I see their mother occasionally , and she always says that Stephen is fine .

Retlaw 27-10-2011 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliss (Post 942769)

Course we remember Sauls, it used to be Bob Holts, it was on the top block of Black Abbey St, Grange St is off Cotton St a good 5min walk away from Sauls.
Often went in when I was young, just to watch the receipts and money zoom to the cashier, & the change come zooming back.

Retlaw.

wallop79 27-10-2011 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 942747)
Burtons, that's the name of the gents outfitters I was thinking of JCB, nearly sure they had a shop on the corner of Dutton St.

If I remember rightly Burton's was where Blockbuster Videos are now

lancsdave 27-10-2011 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 942480)
Just need to remove all those buses from Peel Street and replace with a lovely square and it will be euphoric. :D

Just spotted this, behave yourself :p

jaysay 28-10-2011 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallop79 (Post 942901)
If I remember rightly Burton's was where Blockbuster Videos are now

Just trying to picture BBC I know its in that vicinity, but its those little grey cells ya know:D