Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   memories (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/memories-59641.html)

jaysay 08-11-2011 18:09

Re: memories

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 946024)
As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.

Well having worked extensively in the shop fitting game, I honestly think the best set out shop I've seen since I've been making visits down town by a country mile is Bodycare, the set out is absolutely first class

cashman 08-11-2011 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 946102)
Well having worked extensively in the shop fitting game, I honestly think the best set out shop I've seen since I've been making visits down town by a country mile is Bodycare, the set out is absolutely first class

Wont get me back in yon.:rolleyes:

Retlaw 08-11-2011 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 946110)

Never mind Bodycare, neither Wimpy's nor Vickers at Barrow could help thee wi thi body.:rofl38::rofl38::tongueout
Retlaw.

jaysay 08-11-2011 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 946110)

Ya its a pity really seems they got most things right apart for their ethics;)

robot1002 10-11-2011 00:15

Hi Fliss, Most of my Dads family where from Accrington, I was a TV engineer in the 60ties and worked for myself..Electrical Trade Services .( Chorley) I had a contract with the co-op in Brinscal, Chorley, Leyland, and Croston to service their TV's. Came to Accy once or twice, The name Lomax rings a bell though...Take care....Tony

susie123 25-11-2011 16:02

Back to the Maypole... see posts 82 and thereabouts. Just found the following in an Observer article from 2003:

The Edgar Street building became the home to the Observer at the turn of last century after it was formerly produced from an office and print works in Peel Street, which later became the home of the Maypole Dairy.

mobertol 25-11-2011 18:59

I know my Grandads first job as a boy was with Maypole Dairies back in the 1920's.

Doug 25-11-2011 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 946024)
As I walked round Accy last week I noticed a lack of interesting window-dressing and displays in the shops - there is such a lot of tacky stuff on offer. Even M&S seemed to have little of interest -they have a better selection on-line. I went to Gene Sutcliffe's sale where I bought a jacket and scarf, but it was like a plague of locusts had been through by the time I got there....and there was very little left either in the window or the shop!

Shops in Italy make more of an effort I think and people as a whole are more fashion conscious - even though they do favour a lot of black! Pound shops are also very rare over here too...Below a few pics of some of the nicest shops in Cremona.

It's funny. I haven't been in Accrington Town Centre for over 3 years, but the last time I had a good look round it reminding me of a town stuck in another time. M&S seemed to be almost hanging on to the late 80s and there was little else to impress. I don't want to knock it but it was dull and dank. That said I would still drive to Lancaster, Blackburn or Accrington rather than shop in Blackpool. :)

mobertol 25-11-2011 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 951796)
It's funny. I haven't been in Accrington Town Centre for over 3 years, but the last time I had a good look round it reminding me of a town stuck in another time. M&S seemed to be almost hanging on to the late 80s and there was little else to impress. I don't want to knock it but it was dull and dank. That said I would still drive to Lancaster, Blackburn or Accrington rather than shop in Blackpool. :)

I last went shopping in Blackpool last year while visiting with my Aunt -they don't have bad shops but the center was full of groups on Hen parties/Stag do's in the middle of the day. I remember years ago going to Lytham-St.Annes shopping with my mum which was quite nice and nearer to you perhaps...used to love going for the day to Southport many moons ago from Liverpool too.

Accrington is OK but could be better unfortunately -the place is not being used to it's full potential (eg Empty Arcade which is a lovely facility)- bad council policy seems to be a common complaint here and may well be part of the problem...

garinda 25-11-2011 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 951796)

Three years?

You were always popping back at one time.

Many times you'd catch me leaning against some wall, minding the bags.

Thought you'd like being back in the eighties.

Your era...the 1880's.

:D

Hope you, and your's, are all well and happy though.

Take care Doug.

Doug 25-11-2011 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 951800)
I last went shopping in Blackpool last year while visiting with my Aunt -they don't have bad shops but the center was full of groups on Hen parties/Stag do's in the middle of the day. I remember years ago going to Lytham-St.Annes shopping with my mum which was quite nice and nearer to you perhaps...used to love going for the day to Southport many moons ago from Liverpool too.

Accrington is OK but could be better unfortunately -the place is not being used to it's full potential (eg Empty Arcade which is a lovely facility)- bad council policy seems to be a common complaint here and may well be part of the problem...

Accrington to me is it's own worst enemy. It's got to learn to compete and above all exert it's self. It lacks investment and vision. It's got such a wealth of history and the people (the real dye in the wool people) have such a lot to offer those coming in from the outside. In it's past it had everything. Coal, Iron. Textiles, Invention and above all Valour. It's people had character, warmth and friendliness that you'd struggle to find anywhere else. It's not about immigration or the watering down of the gene pool, it's about self belief and the will the be heard. The wider community has such a lot to offer it's own people as well as those beyond. Accrington and the surrounding area is dull and dank and seems quite happy to dwell that way. I look at Accyweb occasionally and see starlings of a community that wants' more for itself: from football to museums, culture to visions of a better place, from maintaining it's history to reaching out for tomorrow……then ****** all happens.

cashman 25-11-2011 22:25

Very apt you popping up in "Lost Friends" section Doug, i was beginning to think yeh had croaked,:D welcome back.;)

Doug 25-11-2011 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 951803)
Three years?

You were always popping back at one time.

Many times you'd catch me leaning against some wall, minding the bags.

Thought you'd like being back in the eighties.

Your era...the 1880's.

:D

Hope you, and your's, are all well and happy though.

Take care Doug.

You know, I love you Rindy. You have a sense of place, a quality of self worth. I miss Accrington; I wouldn't move back, but I miss it. Time's are though matey, working seven days a week, golf and whiskey are the only outlets. debt is crippling but I've still got the business. If I live beyond 2015 I'll be debt free and be able to kark it without owing any ****** anything. Stick at it lad.

Doug 25-11-2011 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 951810)
Very apt you popping up in "Lost Friends" section Doug, i was beginning to think yeh had croaked,:D welcome back.;)

I'm still here Cashy, I look in alot, but say now't. You never forget your own. One day I'll buy you all a pint or four. I was looking at a photo of you and another member. Your looking well cock. :)

garinda 26-11-2011 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 951811)
Stick at it lad.

You too matey.

Always remember Cashy's mantra.

N.L.T.B.G.Y.D.

;):D