Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   How Does Your Garden Grow? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/how-does-your-garden-grow-37225.html)

jambutty 25-02-2008 11:53

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 536003)
Just an observation, JB. If there's going to be no lawn it might be an idea to put a couple of pathways across (paving stones, gravel or even bark chippings) so you can get to different parts without treading on plants. You may want to pull out things like thistles and nettles which may come up with the other stuff. On the other hand - if you don't mind them - thistles get lovely purple flowers and nettles attract butterflies (don't ask me which ones).

Once all or most of the grass has been nuked anything that comes up will be allowed to grow and flourish.

Thanks for the reminder but I had pondered the problem of getting around my garden without crushing seedlings. I considered learning the art of levitation so that I could float around. Nah! That’s just silly! The other alternative would be to install a Breecher’s Buoy from corner to corner but that wouldn’t be very practical. The thought struck me that maybe I could train “Stumpy” the squirrel to do the odd foray around tidying up. I would pay it handsomely.

Sadly “Stumpy” is no more. The squirrel that I saw this morning had two fully formed front legs (or should that be paws?) and it seemed to be a bit larger than “Stumpy”. Was it Mr or Mrs “Stumpy” or maybe son or daughter of “Stumpy”? Or was it an interloper? Who knows? But it had a dig around for a while, found something and scampered off up the fence, launched itself into space, landed nimbly on the trunk of a nearby tree and disappeared in the branches above, taking its spoils with it.

Note to self – must get some peanuts in their shells so that one day I can take a picture of it. Thinks! Stretch rope across the garden and dangle the peanuts from it, sit back and wait for the squirrel to display its foraging talents.

But back to pathways. I think that I will let nature decide where I will be able to walk. There are bound to be bare patches that could be turned into a path. Otherwise the plan was to allow a path to develop either side of the “V”.

jambutty 25-02-2008 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 536118)
just like to ask, who was the one who gave me bad karma?????:eek:
what have i done to offend anyone?
looks like someone on here as read it WRONG!!!
can someone please explain why i should get a red box??.....maybe the person who gave it to me???.................

Anonymous negative Karma. Some people are like children in a school playground.

They don’t have the moral fibre to put their name to a comment. It’s all very sad.

jambutty 25-02-2008 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhatter (Post 536209)
You refuse to respond to a post, not for its content, but who wrote it :rolleyes:

Wrong Madhatter! When I don’t respond to a post it is because there is no point in flogging a dead horse. Labouring a point doesn’t make it more acceptable. It isn’t essential for me to have the last word and I don’t expect a reply to any of my posts nor am I miffed if someone doesn’t respond, like some people.

However when I do respond to a post I reserve the right to respond in kind.

Not that this has anything to do with gardens.

Mr Aleks 25-02-2008 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 536544)
It isn’t essential for me to have the last word

Some on here would argue that lol

andrewb 25-02-2008 20:53

Attacking individuals for the sake of it is not productive in the slightest. If you disagree in other threads, keep it there.

flashy 25-02-2008 21:05

how does my garden grow?

with silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row :D

panther 26-02-2008 08:32

my garden grows very nice in the summer but crap in the winter:o

Eric 26-02-2008 19:12

My garden is under about three feet of snow ... I'll get back to you on the gardening thing when my igloo melts.

derekgas 26-02-2008 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks (Post 536599)
Some on here would argue that lol

Mmmm! I wonder who though? lol ;)

LancYorkYankee 27-02-2008 22:11

Yup, about time over here to start ordering vegtable seeds and planting my cole crops indoors. My vegtable garden (~40 feet by 70 feet) needs to be tilled. Just have to fix a broken belt on it and I'll be ready to go.

Thankfully our lawn and fruit trees remain dormant. Just finished the last of the pruning and spreading compost over the lot of 'em. My garlic beds look nice and the asparagus is starting to come through.

Brian

LancYorkYankee 27-02-2008 22:13

Oh and jambutty, that's ashame about your garden. I know all the work that went into it. Hopefully next year will produce a stronger bloom eh?

panther 28-02-2008 19:06

well just noticed today that my tulips have started to appear:D

nice black and red ones, (thats the colour they will be when they flower):D:D

Eric 28-02-2008 19:18

Now my garden is under four feet of snow:( Not too much growing in the -20 temps we are having right now ... but spring is just around the corner; the local hardware stores are selling the equipment you need for making maple syrup:D And with all the snow cover there will be no shortage of moisture for the lawns and gardens:alright:

West Ender 28-02-2008 20:45

The snowdrops and crocuses in my front garden are almost finished. Daffodils are opening and tulips are showing buds. The dwarf lilac tree is coming into leaf as are the rose bushes.

In the back garden the camellia has dozens of buds that look like they'll be open soon and all the other shrubs are budding. The Forsythia will soon be covered in yellow flowers and even the rhubarb is showing a tiny bit of crown (must put a bucket over it).

Unfortunately - the lawn needs mowing. :mad:

jambutty 20-05-2008 17:41

1 Attachment(s)
Someone other than that obnoxious toe rag Aleks might just be interested to see how my garden is progressing. So here’s a picture of my bluebell corner.

Most of the English bluebells have come up and flowered. The first year after planting is never too good but next year it should look better. Once they have finished flowering and died back a bit I will thin them out and increase the area.

The foxgloves are looking more like Triffids day by day and one of the hollyhocks has survived and has started to grow up.

My sowing of the red poppy seeds wasn’t quite as distributive as I thought but nonetheless they too are showing signs of productive life even if they will be in myriads of clumps of them.

Unfortunately and in spite of nuking every blade of grass that came up, more has sprouted so I’m going to have to trim it back to ground level to give the seedlings a chance. That’s going to be tricky.

Overall it has been a worthwhile exercise and there are good signs that come the summer I will have achieved my objective, or at least most of it.