Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2005, 01:07   #16
God Member

Re: 37p

That's fine I will keep paying the (get's calculator) £1.13 for Hotpot he's rather cute !
Old 29-03-2005, 01:28   #17
God Member

Look's like Hotpot is in all primary schools here's abit of info on him

Hotpot is the school lunch mascot for Lancashire's primary school catering service. It helps children to recognise and enjoy balanced food choices that are good for them. The 'Hotpot cares' campaign informs school children not only about catering issues, but also about getting active, the environment, how to stay safe in the dark and much, much more. You will often find Hotpot in schools at lunchtime during the many special fun events he organises.

aaahh found a pic isn't he cute?

Chav meet Hotpot
Hotpot meet chav

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 29-03-2005 at 01:34.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 08:24   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The 37p must be a subsidy. Without it you would be paying £1.85 per week extra for your school meals. I think Jamie Oliver is being a little stupid trying to make meals for 37p. He must believe that kids should get free school meals.
Old 29-03-2005, 09:08   #19
Give, give, give member

Jamie's little one [the eldest,] goes to Hill House School in Kensington, fees per annum approx. £9,000, not including lunches or their teas.

We must remember that 37p is an average per child, if you mutiply it out when they're purchasing the food for a lot of children, it does give them a lot more buying power than if we went to Accy market with 37p.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 11:19   #20
I am Banned

Yep ive been watching it like last nite when Jamie was up in front of the head because his stuff went over the 37p rate rocketing to 62p-72p-£1 for the heathlier options n that it doesn't get subsidised from the LEA but from the school itself!?! I think what Jamie is tryin to do is positive i think there should be more healthier approach to school meals BUT i dont know about any of u tho this day n age is about fast food like MD's, BK & KFC promoting pressure to kids n parents also the fact of convienence food ready meals etc AND i know im gonna be slated now but if anyone can tell me how they do it these days would be grateful for a balanced disc, but when i did home Ec the best we learned to make was fruit salad, sausage roll n salad not rocket science luckily my mum taught me how to do a roast dinner - so a bit saved LOL, but is it any wonder i have the reliance on a bit of convience help. I hope they do make the dinners more healthy cos the dinner ladys at my kids school are gr8 for my fussy son who will try owt for them n even eat it n will not for me no matter how many bribes are in force!! LOL
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 11:26   #21
I am Banned

Yeh thats one thing with sandwiches but even then can struggle with the variety n what about in winter u cant take a warm prep meal or soup, its ok to bring em home for lunch if u are in but those whom work cant, so even parents choice is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Excuse me for being numb again were does Jamie Oliver come by the sum of 37p. When my kids were on school dinners it cost me £1.50 a day or £7.50 a week and even after that the teachers said the meals were subsidized on top? With the exception of my eldest my kids are now on pack lunches at least then you know what they are eating.
Old 29-03-2005, 11:28   #22
I am Banned

Most kids probably do get free school meals anyway n are probably the majority it still doesn't change the figure or what the meals are tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
The 37p must be a subsidy. Without it you would be paying £1.85 per week extra for your school meals. I think Jamie Oliver is being a little stupid trying to make meals for 37p. He must believe that kids should get free school meals.
Old 29-03-2005, 11:43   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Yeh thats one thing with sandwiches but even then can struggle with the variety n what about in winter u cant take a warm prep meal or soup, its ok to bring em home for lunch if u are in but those whom work cant, so even parents choice is limited.
Yep I agree, I said this In another post!!! Thats why I put Mine on school dinners because I hate them not having something warm to eat for dinner in winter. Summer isn't too bad, but winter needs warm food in them.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 11:52   #24
I am Banned

Thing i also have noticed as well in my job the amount of kids that dont have breakfast [i know some ppl dont n are fine not aving a go] n complain of being hungry n lathargic n having nothing for 1st break, teachers keep a couple of bags of crisp or fruit as extra's for these kids in order they can maintain till dinner.
Old 29-03-2005, 11:59   #25
God Member

Quote:
Thing i also have noticed as well in my job the amount of kids that dont have breakfast [i know some ppl dont n are fine not aving a go] n complain of being hungry n lathargic n having nothing for 1st break, teachers keep a couple of bags of crisp or fruit as extra's for these kids in order they can maintain till dinner.
I don't eat breakfast, Just not a breakfast person but, I am a adult and can make my own mind up. Poor kids, they must be starving by dinner time. I would be gutted if I sent my kids to school with no breakfast.........what are these people thinking??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 12:55   #26
I am Banned

So true Slinky, i was warned in off training that we may come across cases n yes there is quite a few which u can spot straight away these poor kids have parents that dont really care or can be arsed to even give em a snack for break.
Old 29-03-2005, 13:16   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Most kids probably do get free school meals anyway n are probably the majority
That is a wild quote, can you substanciate it with some LEA figures.

When kids get free meals who pays for them?
Old 29-03-2005, 13:22   #28
God Member

Quote:
I'm not a breakfast person either (must be a family thing lol) but poor kids that is just pure neglect not to give them at least a bowl of cereal or toast before they go to school. But saying that my eldest has just decided she's not a breakfast person, it makes her feel sick she says, I've told her the benefits of eating breakfast but force feeding a 12 year old that is the same size as me is getting to be a struggle these days lol!

As for a hot meal at dinner times my kids change their eating habits as often as their undies! First they want a school dinner because their friend is on dinners then they want to be on packed lunches because they have a new friend that is on packed lunches! Their choice, mum just goes with the flow and tries to remember who wants what and on what day !
Old 29-03-2005, 13:25   #29
I am Banned

Something u'll not get accurate figures for dont forget its gov ran thing, tho for every family living on benefits like IS the children are entitled to free school meals...how many families are on IS in this town dont take much to say majority in primary schools. Who pays for em ....well obviously the tax payer does in taxes.
Old 29-03-2005, 14:21   #30
Senior Member+

Thats a disgrace should be a lot more than that
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..