Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2005, 14:47   #31
I am Banned

Re: 37p

I must admit i dont think anyone really knew how much per head dinners was until this prog.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2005, 19:09   #32
I am Banned

prisoners get allowed £1.40 a meal i think it said on jamies website

absolutely disgusting that children get less
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 19:21   #33
I am Banned

Bloody heck no wonder there is an up serge in inmates n wondered why they wanna go back gee something tells me priorities are all wrong!!!!
Old 29-03-2005, 19:23   #34
I am Banned

it should be tother way round crims get less than children, crims had a choice but kids dont arrgghh thats infuriating
Old 30-03-2005, 07:59   #35
I am Banned

if you think about it criminals also get a btter shot at a good education as well

how many criminals get free college courses and probably dont have to share their teacher with 40 other pupils like our kids do
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 09:28   #36
Give, give, give member

Because of Jamie Olivers highlighting of the school dinner issue, the Government today announced an extra £220 million to be spread over three years to improve school dinners.

The election approaches-
Let them eat cake!
Thanks Tony.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 09:32   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Excuse me for being numb again were does Jamie Oliver come by the sum of 37p. When my kids were on school dinners it cost me £1.50 a day or £7.50 a week and even after that the teachers said the meals were subsidized on top? With the exception of my eldest my kids are now on pack lunches at least then you know what they are eating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Something u'll not get accurate figures for dont forget its gov ran thing, tho for every family living on benefits like IS the children are entitled to free school meals...how many families are on IS in this town dont take much to say majority in primary schools. Who pays for em ....well obviously the tax payer does in taxes.
It sounds to me like Tinks is paying for more than her fair share. If the IS or whoever pay 37p per meal per child, why is she paying £1.50. i think Jamie Oliver is only telling us the facts he wants us to hear. What is the real figure that IS ( if that is who pays it ) pay for each meal? Does anybody know?
Old 30-03-2005, 09:45   #38
Give, give, give member

The 37p is the lowest average cost of producing a meal, most spent more than the 37p.
Like l posted earlier, in a school of a thousand kids this equals £370 per meal which allows better buying power whole sale, especially if they buy in weekly/monthly.
Jamie has used a bit of spin, must have picked it up from his mate Tony, but at least it's worked.
Luv'erly Jubberly, sorted.

Old 30-03-2005, 10:58   #39
I am Banned

The government have offered another £280m towards school meals. Which is over 3 years. Equates to about £3.50 extra per child per year, or less than 10p a week or 2p per day. Big fat hairy deal! And they think it's going to be an vote-grabber for parents!
Old 30-03-2005, 11:17   #40
I am Banned

I wish Jamie would come n teach me to cook
Old 30-03-2005, 11:23   #41
I am Banned

Like i said weren't having a go on non breakfast folk n no u can force feed a child the ones im on about are neglect of lack of parenting skills when u spot these kids n ask em if they have had breakfast they say no n say they are hungry n are given something to eat as it does effect their concentration n are lethargic due to being hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I'm not a breakfast person either (must be a family thing lol) but poor kids that is just pure neglect not to give them at least a bowl of cereal or toast before they go to school. But saying that my eldest has just decided she's not a breakfast person, it makes her feel sick she says, I've told her the benefits of eating breakfast but force feeding a 12 year old that is the same size as me is getting to be a struggle these days lol!

As for a hot meal at dinner times my kids change their eating habits as often as their undies! First they want a school dinner because their friend is on dinners then they want to be on packed lunches because they have a new friend that is on packed lunches! Their choice, mum just goes with the flow and tries to remember who wants what and on what day !
Old 30-03-2005, 11:26   #42
I am Banned

Hehehe he had a go at sandwiches last nite just while we was on the subject yesterday, tho never had the pleasure of those dairylea lunchables his face said it all, but like we discussed yesterday sandwiches can be limiting as to what u can send kids to school with.
Old 30-03-2005, 11:39   #43
Resting in peace

Having been a school governor for 20 years, I seem to remember that the 37p is a subsidy on top of what parents pay. However, the total, subsidy and payment, has also to fund free school meals. Since in some schools over half the children are on free meals, it does make it more expensive for the parents who do pay. As always, those who can pay, do pay both ways, through taxes and direct - under LMS (Local Management of Schools) the Head and the governors are responsible for setting the school budget - not easy, because there always seems to be more need than there is money, but the budget for my primary school of around 300 children, the last year I was chair of governors, was as I remember about £650,000!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 11:49   #44
I am Banned

Yeah Pendy they were sayin something like that last nite that anything extra or over would have to come out of other funds like books, seems a lot of robbing peter to pay paul.
Old 30-03-2005, 12:35   #45
Give, give, give member

Regardless of what difference this will make to children each day, it will be a vote winner. lt looks like the Government have listened to public opinion through Jamie Oliver, and bowed to pressure. Long term benefits won't be the main concern of this 'gift' to the electorate.

Just heard Jamie Oliver on the radio, he talks a lot of sense. He should go into politics, he'd make more of an impact than other celebrity MP's.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..