Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2005, 23:14   #1
I am Banned

37p

just watched jamie olivers program about making school dinners healthy for kids and it mentioned that all the government allow per child for a meal is 37p

am i alone in thinking this is digusting considering how much taxes we pay and how many millions of pounds are spent on much less important things...?
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2005, 23:16   #2

Re: 37p

Thats why I sighned his petition Chav! If any people feel strongly the link is on a thread by Purplelass!

Last edited by wayneyboy1942; 28-03-2005 at 23:18.
wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 23:20   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
just watched jamie olivers program about making school dinners healthy for kids and it mentioned that all the government allow per child for a meal is 37p

am i alone in thinking this is digusting considering how much taxes we pay and how many millions of pounds are spent on much less important things...?
As a singleton have my 37p.
See l give as well as take.
How much is your Daily Sport?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 23:20   #4

That is really bad news!!!
Come on folks,get yourself on jamies schools dinners thread and follow the link and sign the petition!

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 23:28   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
As a singleton have my 37p.
See l give as well as take.
How much is your Daily Sport?
i dont buy newspapers i have the internet

what ime trying to say is i dont think you could feed a dog on 37p aday so how does our government come up with 37p for a good healthy childrens meal

Last edited by chav1; 28-03-2005 at 23:30.
Old 28-03-2005, 23:43   #6
Member.

First and foremost I totally agree with you. I think it a case of the price is based on value of numbers and quite often meals or the plain or cheap seats type packaged verities. I don’t know if School cooks have autonomy when purchasing food stuffs are not but the stuff they do get must be subsidised in some way. My son costs me £10.00 - £15.00 per week and most of it goes on pop, crisps, bacon or sausage barn cakes and the like. Again payment for this is based on a swipe card type system. I’m not too sure about Jamie Oliver’s motives, but the fact that this has been highlighted nationally can only be good for the health of our kids. I would personally encourage people to sign his petition as posted else where by purplelass

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 23:45   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
i dont buy newspapers i have the internet

what ime trying to say is i dont think you could feed a dog on 37p aday so how does our government come up with 37p for a good healthy childrens meal

l was only being Cheeky Chav, after our vitual theesome last night.

I totally agree, l wouldn't like to keep a dog for .37p per day, never mind a growing child.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 23:45   #8

QUOTE=PurpleLass]As a parent I am concerned about the junk that our children are being fed at lunchtime. I know it's hard to persuade kids that a carrot is tasty but it's even harder when they are allowed to eat fish fingers and chips or chicken nuggets and chips every day at school. When I was at school our lunch consisted of the very traditional meat and two veg. If you are a parent, or even a grandparent, please sign your name to Jamie Oliver's petition. He has highlighted a real issue for the future of our children - see his website about it and sign the petition on www.feedmebetter.com. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Jason's right but I plonked this on here to help find the link if you want to sighn up folks! .

Last edited by wayneyboy1942; 28-03-2005 at 23:47.
wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 23:55   #9
God Member

Excuse me for being numb again were does Jamie Oliver come by the sum of 37p. When my kids were on school dinners it cost me £1.50 a day or £7.50 a week and even after that the teachers said the meals were subsidized on top? With the exception of my eldest my kids are now on pack lunches at least then you know what they are eating.
Old 29-03-2005, 00:03   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Excuse me for being numb again were does Jamie Oliver come by the sum of 37p. When my kids were on school dinners it cost me £1.50 a day or £7.50 a week and even after that the teachers said the meals were subsidized on top? With the exception of my eldest my kids are now on pack lunches at least then you know what they are eating.
jamie oliver didnt come up with the price thats what the head teacher told him the government allows a school for each child

if a school wants to spend more money on food they have to take it from the money that is set aside for teachers and books etc

some schools may have the luxury of a bit of spare cash left over from books and teachers etc or parents may be asked to pay a bit extra to help out but in general i would say most schools dont have that luxury and have to stick within a budget that the government sticks on meals

jamie oliver has not yet been able to make a good healthy meal for 37p they have all gone over the budget and they were basic things like vegetables and rice

i think its disgracefull that we have mountains of food rotting in barns over the country because farmers are paid not to sell them as not to upset the economy

i forget the techicle name but ime on about stuff liek potato mountains and butter mountains etc

that food could be given to schools free and is good food not chicken burgers and stuff

i also think its digracefull that they have butter mountains and wont let us slide down them but thats off topic lol
Old 29-03-2005, 00:12   #11
God Member

Quote:
i also think its digracefull that they have butter mountains and wont let us slide down them but thats off topic lol
Don't you go setting me off topic again, after the heavy going, serious stuff in Gayles thread I could do with letting off steam with some silly banter of 101 thigs to do on a butter mountain

I am really bemused by the 37p bit I need more explanation, it just doesn't make sense I pay £1.50 per day and they get 37p worth of food either I'm very thick or them sums just don't add up !!
Old 29-03-2005, 00:37   #12
mez
God Member

hi. i used to work on school meals , im very sorry to say i did'nt reign very long cos i was disgusted at the allowance & amount that the kids had for their lunch , i threw caution to the wind & fed "my kids " wot i thought they should have, none of it was junk . chips mabe once a week much to the kids delight , but i still say they did not get enough !!!!!! T he paper work & allowances & portion control , working for the county is enough to give more than one or two cooks a headache , "me nearly a nervous breakdown", i was glad i told the boss of catering were to put his bits of paper . ooops gone to far
Old 29-03-2005, 00:49   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Don't you go setting me off topic again, after the heavy going, serious stuff in Gayles thread I could do with letting off steam with some silly banter of 101 thigs to do on a butter mountain

I am really bemused by the 37p bit I need more explanation, it just doesn't make sense I pay £1.50 per day and they get 37p worth of food either I'm very thick or them sums just don't add up !!
its more than likely your kids school put on better food than others so you pay a bit extra

also may be paying to help towards the cost of those who cant afford the extra like those on free meals

not sure how school dinners work any more

out of curiosioty what do your kids have on offer at their school as all that was on offer at teh school jamie oliver was at was economy burgers , fish fingers or cheap nast lookin cheeze and tomoto piza

all with chips i might add

maybe we have a head teacher here or a dinner lady who can put soem light on this
Old 29-03-2005, 00:54   #14
God Member

I have a menu lieing about somewere for childrens meals. They have a mascot now called Hot Pot. If I find it over night I will post it in the morning. ( the menu not the mascot )
Old 29-03-2005, 00:56   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
I have a menu lieing about somewere for childrens meals. They have a mascot now called Hot Pot. If I find it over night I will post it in the morning. ( the menu not the mascot )
i think you have just answere your own question

hot pot would definatly not be affordable on the government budget so i figure you are paying extra so your kids can have decent food and not the crap served in the 37p meals

edit:

hahaha hotpot is the mascot lol

anyway if they served vegetables at all it would put them over the 37p budget

Last edited by chav1; 29-03-2005 at 00:57.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..