Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

Ken Moss 16-08-2010 07:36

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837603)
Ken, ask them how much their rent has gone up too

Will do, Shaz.

From what I can gather, although the market hall has had a rather nice facelift it has come at a cost to the people who actually make it tick and it sounds like they could do with a louder voice in the Council chamber which is why I want to go and speak to them.

flashy 16-08-2010 07:41

good lad, it's going to be a similar situation with Blackburn when their market moves into the Mall, there will be hardly anything in there because of the rent increase

Taggy 16-08-2010 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837608)
good lad, it's going to be a similar situation with Blackburn when their market moves into the Mall, there will be hardly anything in there because of the rent increase

Yep, smaller traders whose stalls have been in the Market for years cannot afford to move into the mall. So the likes of the Cheese stall and the Sarsaparilla Beer stall will now vanish! Moves like this destroy individuality and the small traders that Markets are the whole point of! I'm fed up going to different towns just to see exactly the same outlets in each one!

Best Regards - Taggy

flashy 16-08-2010 17:33

my dads cousin works on the Sarsaparilla stall, has done for years, i'll have to ask him what they are going to do

Taggy 16-08-2010 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837714)
my dads cousin works on the Sarsaparilla stall, has done for years, i'll have to ask him what they are going to do

There's been a younger chap on the stall the last couple of times i've been, not the older chap wi glasses who always used to be on there, with his old Mam!

Best Regards - Taggy

flashy 16-08-2010 18:12

there's the older fella with glasses (it's his stall), then my dads cousin Dave (small fella with a grey beard) then the younger tall lad

Ken Moss 17-08-2010 14:26

The market hall, whilst looking superb for the most part, is certainly not finished in my book. Dodgy flooring and ramps, raised drain covers and ten empty stalls on the ground floor alone. It must be said that the occupied stalls were superb and the footfall was undeserving of the quality on display from the traders but something is clearly lacking on the higher management side.

Having spoken to the stallholders they are clearly not happy with one person in particular (and you know who you are).

It's a real pity because it has the potential to be a top-notch market.

garinda 17-08-2010 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 837888)
The market hall, whilst looking superb for the most part, is certainly not finished in my book. Dodgy flooring and ramps, raised drain covers and ten empty stalls on the ground floor alone. It must be said that the occupied stalls were superb and the footfall was undeserving of the quality on display from the traders but something is clearly lacking on the higher management side.

Having spoken to the stallholders they are clearly not happy with one person in particular (and you know who you are).

It's a real pity because it has the potential to be a top-notch market.

Traditionally, Tuesday was the busiest market day. Second only to Saturday.

Sadly this is no longer the case, and 'Knock Off Thursday', or as it is more quaintly known, the Flea and Collectables Market, now produces the largest footfall

flashy 17-08-2010 16:19

Mossy did you ask about the rent increase?

Ken Moss 17-08-2010 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837912)
Mossy did you ask about the rent increase?

I did indeed, Shaz. Some of them have had it increased by 50% overnight and traders who have been there for generations are now on the verge of leaving.

At least there is a massive brass plaque dedicated to Cllr Peter Britcliffe, Leader of the Council, for his work renovating the Market Hall.

Well done.

MargaretR 17-08-2010 18:34

I have a strong feeling that this will be PB's white 'elephant in the room' ;)
.....his downfall brought about by his own vanity

cashman 17-08-2010 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 837945)
I have a strong feeling that this will be PB's white elephant in the room ;)

I thought he was a white elephant?:D

flashy 17-08-2010 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 837944)

At least there is a massive brass plaque dedicated to Cllr Peter Britcliffe, Leader of the Council, for his work renovating the Market Hall.

wonder how long it will be before someone pulls the plaque down and weighs it in?

i'll congratulate them when they do

MargaretR 17-08-2010 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 837947)
wonder how long it will be before someone pulls the plaque down and weighs it in?

i'll congratulate them when they do

I prefer it to stay there, so that people know who is responsible for the whole fiasco.

flashy 17-08-2010 18:43

this is true