Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Market Hall Refurbishment (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/market-hall-refurbishment-51037.html)

Ken Moss 18-08-2010 06:25

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 837948)
I prefer it to stay there, so that people know who is responsible for the whole fiasco.

It would be far better for someone to take the reins properly and sort it our for the poor stallholders.

After what I saw yesterday, the solutions are glaringly obvious but it will be hard to get the grabbing Tories to see this.

accysimon 19-08-2010 16:29

I was in the Market Hall today and can't believe just how poor it looked. The floor isn't safe for anyone unsteady on their feet either. What a waste of money.

shillelagh 19-08-2010 20:03

Can i ask 2 things ....

1. Wheres the sweetie stall gone ... spugs needs his fix of coltsfoot rock ... and if ossie mills is shutting in accy where else will i get it from...

2. Whats an old settee 2 old chairs a table and a kettle doing in place of a market stall at the far end near where them stairs are .. saw this last week .. and if anyone says thats art ...

MargaretR 19-08-2010 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 838365)
2. Whats an old settee 2 old chairs a table and a kettle doing in place of a market stall at the far end near where them stairs are .. saw this last week .. and if anyone says thats art ...

.....provided for the local winos?

Gayle 19-08-2010 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 838365)
Can i ask 2 things ....

1. Wheres the sweetie stall gone ... spugs needs his fix of coltsfoot rock ... and if ossie mills is shutting in accy where else will i get it from...

It's not art!!! :D

But it is the place where the artists are using for a few weeks.

Atarah 19-08-2010 21:21

Hi, sweetie stall still there. Go in side door, nearest to Town Hall, and its there, looks good too! Taken over what used to be the first butchers stall - to your left as you walk in.

Taggy 20-08-2010 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by accysimon (Post 838272)
I was in the Market Hall today and can't believe just how poor it looked. The floor isn't safe for anyone unsteady on their feet either. What a waste of money.

Yep i'd agree with that too! Whilst i must admit the flooring does actually Look better in its original form, its not comfortable to push a wheelchair user around because its uneven.

Best Regards - Taggy

Ken Moss 22-08-2010 08:08

The official tally of empty stalls is three, although we counted ten on the lower level. Most of the units upstairs were unoccupied as well and the rent being asked was ludicrous.

The coffee shop on the upper floor was also barely ticking over which, bearing in mind who owns it, might account for the tremendous push to get market traders working six days a week to increase footfall (which it won't).

steeljack 22-08-2010 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Moss (Post 838991)

The coffee shop on the upper floor was also barely ticking over which, bearing in mind who owns it, might account for the tremendous push to get market traders working six days a week to increase footfall (which it won't).

Think that's a bit unfair , Winston Churchill's father was a well known degenerate who died of syphilis and his mother an immigrent American jewess , would you hold that agaist his son ? ;) :confused: :confused:

cashman 22-08-2010 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 838994)
Think that's a bit unfair , Winston Churchill's father was a well known degenerate who died of syphilis and his mother an immigrent American jewess , would you hold that agaist his son ? ;) :confused: :confused:

Possibly would, but his plan during the general strike CERTAINLY Would.;)

steeljack 22-08-2010 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 838995)
Possibly would, but his plan during the general strike CERTAINLY Would.;)

Yep , my Grandma ("Red Maggie" ,Blackburn weavers union ) would have agreed with you , she hated the guy :D :D

cashman 22-08-2010 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 838996)
Yep , my Grandma ("Red Maggie" ,Blackburn weavers union ) would have agreed with you , she hated the guy :D :D

Me n yer nan woulda got on famously steely.;)

Ken Moss 24-08-2010 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 838994)

I'd never wish anyone to fail in business, particularly someone self-employed, but bringing an entire market hall to heel just so that your son might get a few more punters in his coffee shop is just not on.

Of course I'm only speculating, it could just be a huge coincidence, but no other market that I can think of forces its stallholders to open six days a week. There's also a whole layer of management (Quarterbridge) who should have been fired off after renovations were completed but it seems that we're still paying them as consultants.

Why, if Cllrs Britcliffe and Haworth are pulling the strings?

Margaret Pilkington 24-08-2010 07:24

Probably so they(PB and MH) have someone they can lay the blame on.

Margaret Pilkington 24-08-2010 07:25

I know! I'm a cynical old sod.