Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   MPs Pay Rise (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/mps-pay-rise-64468.html)

GEaston 01-07-2013 13:38

MPs Pay Rise

Reality is that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, and that's what's happened here.

If the salary was raised to something worth having then you might actually attract talented people into these roles.

Why is it that running a country is seen as less important than say running the post office, or the National Coal Board? Wasn't Arthur Scargills Barbican flat allowance on its own worth more than an MPs salary?

If they were paid loads then you'd attract the best, brightest and most capable people running the country and the savings would be immeasurable. Those people would move freely between top jobs in the public and private sector gaining valuable experience.

Here in Singapore the Prime Minister earns £1.5m a year, ministers earn between £750k to £1.25m a year and as a result the country is spectacularly well run.

GEaston 01-07-2013 13:43

MPs Pay Rise

And I fully expect the cloud of misery and derision which is what appears to constitute "community" in Accy to continue :-)

Less 01-07-2013 13:43

Re: MPs Pay Rise

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEaston (Post 1064921)
Reality is that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, and that's what's happened here.

If the salary was raised to something worth having then you might actually attract talented people into these roles.

If they were paid loads then you'd attract the best, brightest and most capable people running the country and the savings would be immeasurable. Those people would move freely between top jobs in the public and private sector gaining valuable experience.

Plagiarist! That is a direct quote from the beginning of Chapter 3 of my book, find your own myths.

shillelagh 01-07-2013 14:05

as far as im concerned theyre public sector employees ... so they should get the same pay rises as them ...

cashman 01-07-2013 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1064924)
Plagiarist! That is a direct quote from the beginning of Chapter 3 of my book, find your own myths.

Aint that what hes doin fer buildings on Warner St??:hehetable Paying Peanuts.:D

Less 01-07-2013 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1064932)
Aint that what hes doin fer buildings on Warner St??:hehetable Paying Peanuts.:D

Yes, he is, I didn't think I'd ever get rid of those white elephant's, The only one I have left is the building behind the Railway pub, now that would be a real investment!!!

However I'm saving that for an American tourist, they are the only ones that could afford to dismantle the viaduct and ship it home!

;)

accyman 01-07-2013 15:03

Quote:

If the salary was raised to something worth having then you might actually attract talented people into these roles. .

sometimes its difficult to tell when your been serious or just taking the pi-urine

Alvin the chipmunk 01-07-2013 15:54

This will not be a popular opinion but....

They should be paid more. It's a scandal that sportsmen can earn more in a week than those who effectively run our country. They should be paid more....but with less of them.

Pay should then be performance related.
How many times have you returned to your constituency?
What percentage of debates have you attended and if not why?
What are you doing in order to enhance your constituency?

Allow constituents to vote on how effective they believe their MP is. I know people will say "that's what a general election is for" but unfortunately people tend to treat political parties like football teams. This "I've always voted Labour/Tory/Liberal and so did my parents" mantra has created so many safe seats and subsequently lazy MPs.

Also with an increased wage there should be no expenses. It will be a case of "you earn well...pay for it yourself".

DtheP47 01-07-2013 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEaston (Post 1064923)
And I fully expect the cloud of misery and derision which is what appears to constitute "community" in Accy to continue :-)

Let's not forget HRH is getting a payrise too and Mr Cameron has promised to give married couples tax breaks worth £150 each before the end of the year.
We are all happy, every ones a winner. ;)

cashman 01-07-2013 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1064943)
sometimes its difficult to tell when your been serious or just taking the pi-urine

Nah its easy a troll is a troll.;)

maxthecollie 01-07-2013 16:25

Quote:

Why is it that running a country is seen as less important than say running the post office, or the National Coal Board? Wasn't Arthur Scargills Barbican flat allowance on its own worth more than an MPs salary?

Here in Singapore the Prime Minister earns £1.5m a year, ministers earn between £750k to £1.25m a year and as a result the country is spectacularly well run.

Our M.P.s don't earn the money, they get it given for nothing

accyman 01-07-2013 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1064958)
Our M.P.s don't earn the money, they get it given for nothing

incorrect some of them have to ask questions to get the extra they need as they cant make do on the pittance they get

1 term as a MP and your set for life because no matter how crap or good a MP is they get a pension for life

not too bad if you can become a MP in your early 20's you could pack in after 1 election and know that you never have to do a days work again at the tax payers expense.I think its the only case of taking the taxpayers money that MPs havnt labled as scrounging or the tax payer

polititions dont get enough - HA what a laugh

jaysay 01-07-2013 17:17

The problem is these rises have been put forward by an a totally independent body, what would be the point if an independent body could have their decisions overturned by parliament if MPs didn't like it. MPs could opt not to take the pay rise, I think Clegg has said he wouldn't take it, but how many from any colour of party will do that:rolleyes:

accyman 01-07-2013 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1064964)
The problem is these rises have been put forward by an a totally independent body, what would be the point if an independent body could have their decisions overturned by parliament if MPs didn't like it. MPs could opt not to take the pay rise, I think Clegg has said he wouldn't take it, but how many from any colour of party will do that:rolleyes:

teh only way one of em would do it is for teh same reason clegg is doing so

to appear to be a decent bloke or gain good grace from teh british public

not a case of damned if you do damned if you dont it shoudl be turned down discreetly with no song and dance

jaysay 01-07-2013 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1064980)
teh only way one of em would do it is for teh same reason clegg is doing so

to appear to be a decent bloke or gain good grace from teh british public

not a case of damned if you do damned if you dont it shoudl be turned down discreetly with no song and dance

Discreetly and MP in the same sentence accyman, don't be silly:D