Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 11:12   #46
God Member

Re: A question for Mums

what everybody should do is reclaim the streets from the scum instead of driving in our little bubbles we should walk the streets get out and enjoy our town bin your telly and get out i know what ill be giving my daughter when shes old enough to go out on her own a lighter a and a can of hairspray anybody that comes near her she will burn them in their eyes ...

justice league
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2006, 11:50   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley
what everybody should do is reclaim the streets from the scum instead of driving in our little bubbles we should walk the streets get out and enjoy our town bin your telly and get out i know what ill be giving my daughter when shes old enough to go out on her own a lighter a and a can of hairspray anybody that comes near her she will burn them in their eyes ...

justice league
I know what you are getting at, I just hope your daughter doesn't get sent down for flame throwing an old lady to death that just wanted to know the time of the next bus.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:21   #48
God Member

me too. ive just read the thread properly it says question for mums whoops im a dad...
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:43   #49
Resident Waffler

Dads are allowed too - I apologised for not including them, I just thought 'Mums' on account of being one myself.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 14:31   #50
Resident Waffler

Just giving the non-locals an idea of what the corner of Chester St looks like and why of all the corners in the whole of Hyndburn this is probably one of the least appropriate in my opinion for anyone to be lurking around on after dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A0156.jpg (116.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0157.jpg (104.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0158.jpg (103.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0159.jpg (100.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0160.jpg (106.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SP_A0161.jpg (98.3 KB, 18 views)

Old 12-11-2006, 16:38   #51
God Member

i found this thread rather pathetic actually, you love your girls right? SO WHY THE HELL CAN YOU NOT GET OFF YOUR LAZY BACKSIDE AND WALK THEM TO THE TOP OF THE STREET?? simple solution, you obviously dont care that much.....tut... terrible parent
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 16:41   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart
i found this thread rather pathetic actually, you love your girls right? SO WHY THE HELL CAN YOU NOT GET OFF YOUR LAZY BACKSIDE AND WALK THEM TO THE TOP OF THE STREET?? simple solution, you obviously dont care that much.....tut... terrible parent
Get a grip, you know nothing about willow and she only started this thread because she IS a caring parent. Try reading the whole thread before making judgement karma deducted

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 18:18   #53
Resting in Peace

I am getting a little confused myself by this thread. Perfectly understand what you originally complained about Willow, but as West Ender stated in one of the earlier posts, could the driver not have stopped a little further down/up where there are lots of terraced houses. He probably only looked at it as an easy place to pull in with a mini-van and hadn't really thought it through. Perhaps would be better coming from your daughter explaining to him that she feels insecure in this spot and would he not mind a safer pick-up point. From the horse's mouth is always better.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 18:51   #54
Resident Waffler

OK let me try to explain this again.

Slowly

For anyone who is still missing the point.

There is a youth club in Ossy.

People who run the youth club invited my daughters to go.

They have been once or twice - if my husband is home he has taken them in the car.

Once when my husband was not home I went with them by taxi and dropped them off there. My husband picked them up because he was home by then.

The organisers said not to bother with a taxi in future as they had a minibus for rhe specific purpose of picking people up who cannot be brought by parents for whatever reason. (Note this was their suggestion, not mine)

They have been a few times in the minibus.

Last week someone from the youth club phoned to speak to the girls to ask if they needed a lift the following day. When they phoned it was late and the girls had already gone to bed so I spoke to the person. I told him that the eldest one had other plans but as far as I was aware the youngest didn't have other plans and would like to go but my husband couldn't take her as he would be working.

The person from the youth club then told me to ask her to wait at the corner of Chester Street and they would pick her up from there.

I said "No." and explained that I didn't think it was safe for her to stand in such a place (see photos for the location, quite a lonely spot) so far from home in the dark. Even I, as an adult, would not like to stand down there on that corner alone in the dark.

At no point did I ever ask for this minibus. The minibus belongs to the youth club and I have been led to believe the purpose of the minibus is to transport kids to and from the youth club.

The person on the phone then said he would pick her up from home 'just this once'.

OK, if she wants to go in future and they ask her to meet in a dark lonely place again then my response will be the same and if they don't want to come to the house then I have the option of getting a taxi or maybe she/they will choose not to go.

This was when I began to wonder how responsibly run a youth club can be when the person collecting the children see nothng wrong with asking one child to wait alone in the dark at a spot like the top of Chester St.

I then thought about the phone call and thought surely I can't be the only responsible parent who cares enough about her daughter not to want her hanging about on lonely street corners in the dark.

So I posted this thread to ask what other Mums thought.

I wonder what parents of other children in the minibus feel - are their children also collected from similar locations?

It's odd no other parent has queried this - and I get the impression from the guy on the phone that they haven't - hence my asking other Mums on here.

I do not know who the other children are so I cannot ask their parents.

I do find it very strange though that as a caring parent who wouldn't let her child take the risk of being out there alone in the dark I have been criticised and called lazy and uncaring.

Old 12-11-2006, 21:44   #55
Give, give, give member

I'd have thought this Christian Youth Club should be willing to think about the safety of any children they are inviting to join their group.

Suffer the little children.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 21:48   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I'd have thought this Christian Youth Club should be willing to think about the safety of any children they are inviting to join their group.

Suffer the little children.
Ok .. a little extreme Garinda, however, don't think you have addressed this in the correct way Willow .. sorry.
Old 12-11-2006, 22:05   #57
Resident Waffler

OK maybe my mistake was naming the youth club. I should perhaps have avoided that question.

I didn't start the thread in order to 'address' anything. I started the thread to ask if other Mums felt as protective as I do and wouldn't have agreed to their daughter standing there.

When people started accusing me of being too lazy to take her to the club myself then I felt the need to clarify a little more and the thread started to go in a slightly different direction.

I still don't see why I have been considered to be an irresponsible parent when I actually didn't send her off to stand out there because to me that was never an option.

Old 12-11-2006, 22:13   #58

Willow< I know that you are a responsible parent and although I don't always agree with all your views I do know that you love and care about your children.
Old 12-11-2006, 22:14   #59
Resident Waffler

Thank you Caspar.

P.S. You've now made it to the 100

Old 12-11-2006, 22:25   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
OK maybe my mistake was naming the youth club. I should perhaps have avoided that question.

I didn't start the thread in order to 'address' anything. I started the thread to ask if other Mums felt as protective as I do and wouldn't have agreed to their daughter standing there.

When people started accusing me of being too lazy to take her to the club myself then I felt the need to clarify a little more and the thread started to go in a slightly different direction.

I still don't see why I have been considered to be an irresponsible parent when I actually didn't send her off to stand out there because to me that was never an option.
Just meant addressed the situation correctly, not the thread .. course all of us mothers would feel the same way .. crikey, I would have definitely tried to sort out the pick-up point if I could have not got any of my kids/grandchild to their venue in safety, and worried all night 'til they arrived home safely.. as you do.

Just sad, isn't it that a child cannot go to a dark junction without us all worrying ? .. reflection on our society, however, when I was young, had many moments of flashers, men who followed me home .. chased me through the streets,etc., and I always tried to stick to the well-lit roads. Like you said before .. more publicilty. Consider the fact though, that stastics show that a child is in more danger of getting hurt in a motor accident, than walking to a venue and being accosted.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..