Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 13:23   #1
Resident Waffler

A question for Mums

Would you be happy for your 12 year old daughter to stand alone, in the dark, on a street corner several blocks away from home and out of sight due to a bend in the road, waiting to be picked up and taken to a youth club?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2006, 13:32   #2
God Member

Re: A question for Mums

Hmmmm NOPE would be the answer to that Willow.

I know they scream and shout and tell you that " you're a horrible parent, tight, my mates mum lets her do it" and all the rest, but what is the alternative?? police sat in your livingroom telling you something awful has happened to your daughter.........I would rather have the screaming hissy fitty teenage daughter.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 13:46   #3
God Member

No I wouldn't be happy with that situation.

Can she not be picked up from home? Is no-one available to stand with her to wait for the lift?
Old 10-11-2006, 13:51   #4
Resident Waffler

Glad it's not just me. The guy in charge of the bus phoned to speak to her (gone 10 o'clock last night when she'd already gone to bed) and when I said I wasn't happy with her standing out there in the dark alone he reluctantly agreed to pick her up from home "just this once".

Old 10-11-2006, 13:53   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Glad it's not just me. The guy in charge of the bus phoned to speak to her (gone 10 o'clock last night when she'd already gone to bed) and when I said I wasn't happy with her standing out there in the dark alone he reluctantly agreed to pick her up from home "just this once".
I wonder if he could deal with a concience that a 12 year old girl had been abducted, JUST because he couldn't be bothered driving a few more minutes??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 13:54   #6
Senior Member+

I wouldnt be happy at the guy in the first place ringing up past 10pm to speak to a 12 year old never mind asking for her to be picked up on a street corner in the dark and alone.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 13:56   #7

At least they pick her up, it would be worse if she had to make her own way there and back.
I personally would wait with her and if she didn't like it then she wouldn't be able to go.
Old 10-11-2006, 13:57   #8
Resident Waffler

When I told her this morning she decided off her own bat that she isn't going and is going to phone him tonight to say so. Quite commendable. It's just that the more I thought about it the more I thought I can't be the only one who thinks this is not on.

These people are supposed to be the ones responsible enough to be running a youth club though!!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 13:59   #9

Ultimatly it must be the parents responsibility to ensure that she gets there and back safely.
Old 10-11-2006, 14:00   #10
God Member

which youth club Willow, doesn't sound like they know their responsibilities if this is acceptable to them. Have you challanged teh leaders to see if they think it was an acceptable request?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 14:02   #11

I know I’m not qualified to say anything on this matter due to the fact that I’m not a mum but why can’t the parent wait with the child?

I think I’ve said enough so I’ll leave this for you mum’s to sort out.
Shane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 14:07   #12
Junior Member+

This is why if I was prime minister I'd release a law that all girls at the age of 10 - 14 should take self defense classes that are paid by goverment and is a requirement just like school.

That way parents could have a bit more peace of mind and so will the children.
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 14:18   #13

That way parents could have a bit more peace of mind and so will the children.[/QUOTE]

You mean, so that they can sit and watch tele instead of watching the kids? I though most parents did this anyway.
Shane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 14:42   #14
Resting in Peace

In this day and age its not even safe for adults to stand on street corners in the dark...
I would make sure she's got a mobile phone and also a personal attack alarm and that she knows how to use it:

The best kind of personal attack alarm is the one that uses a pin.... the pin is attached to a wrist band and should an attack happen, then you have to pull out the pin and throw the alarm ( this is so the attacker can not turn it off) they only cost around a fiver ( Yale do a good one) and you can get them at Home Base in Accrington:

You can also for a small fee track your kids mobile, you can find more information on this via the net:

Sad world at times, but better to be safe than sorry:

Magpie:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 14:49   #15
God Member

my daughter has a personal alarm due to the fact that she walks to school and back but sometimes has to make this journey on her own and her being 15 wouldnt allow me to take her lol so i ensure she always has her mobile switched on and she carry the alarm on her wrist

better safe than sorry i say
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..