Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 14:10   #16

Re: American (Georgian) style policing

If they did something like that to an African American there would be hell to pay.I think this sort of thing is happening because copper's today have no power over crim's,and they pick on the easy target,ordinary citizen,s like him,who don't deserve shabby treatment like that.
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2007, 14:50   #17
Senior Member+

like i said judging by the pics and now the video - no visible signs of extreme violence

bearing in mind an upper class twerps interpretation of excessive violence does generally differ somewhat to joe publics

methinks the press are trying to beef up the story in their usual way
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 15:25   #18
Give, give, give member

I think he should count his bessings he didn't even get a caution, and that it happened in Atlanta Georgia, rather than Stockwell south London, where he might have been shot dead.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 15:26   #19
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Looks like the police around there are just egotistical idiots.
You can jaywalk in some of the busiest places in the world such as Manhattan without a cop batting an eyelid but once the donut munchers in Georgia (just look at the detective with the beer gut - I really bet you'd want that serving and protecting you) get the chance to exercise authority then they abuse it.
The guy is a snob yes, but no one deserves that treatment.
I'm originally from Atlanta. Certainly would never wish to move back.

You raise some good points. In many big cities, the police on occasion get way out of line. It's obvious that this cop overrated in a very serious way. While jaywalking is against the law, it is only a minor misdemeanor, roughly on a par with a parking violation! And I'm not aware that being a snob, or being a slob for that matter, is a chargeable offense anywhere.

Any reasonable city cop is also very well aware that, while jaywalking may be strictly enforced in Atlanta or Seattle, there are many cities in the USA where it is not. Can't imagine a NYC cop spending time on such nonsense when there are far more serious problems that need to be dealt with.

If this cop wanted enforce the law, he should have promptly identified himself as a policeman and told the professor that he was being issued a summons. Even in Seattle, when the cops realize that you are from out of town, they generally let you off with a warning. Once the visitors know the rules, they generally comply.

Not surprised that the judge threw the case out. They don't want to waste their time on this stuff either. There are more important issues to be addressed.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 15:28   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Are you guys really serious? Because you think this professor is a snob it's OK for his to be violently assaulted by the police?

Why is he a snob? Is it because he speaks with an educated accent and doesn't say "Well, like, er, yunno" ? He seems like a very aimiable mild mannered likeable chap to me. He clearly didn't realise that the person speaking to him was a policeman but from what he says he hadn't even ignored the guy. He'd thanked him for telling him he couldn't cross the road there.

As a foreigner in town would he be clearly aware that it was a crime to cross the road there? Especilly considering he'd seen plenty of other people doing so. Is there anyone on this board who has never crossed elsewhere than on a zebra crossing or waited for the little green man? I see loads of people in accy walking across at pelican crossings when the red man is lit.

Is it really so offensive to ask the policeman to identify himself as a police officer? I thought they were obliged to do that anyway (seen them flashing the badge so many times in the movies) and over here we are constantly being told we should ask officials for their ID and that they expect this and will not be offended.

This part of the article struck me:

Even the prosecutors seemed embarrassed? The judge approved of the charges being dropped? The AHA is not best chuffed.

I don't think the large gentleman is a police officer. It sounds like he was one of the security staff who came out to assist.

Why did the professor need to be kicked to the ground even if he was being arrested? Did the policeman really need 4 others to assist him? He wasn't tackling the incredible hulk.
True his class has nothing to do with it, but his arrogance has. The police were doing their job, mainly stopping people getting killed from crossing between the two hotels. He should have complied with the request for i-d, and should not have flailed his arms and legs about when he was being arrested.

Old 11-01-2007, 15:36   #21
Resident Waffler

I've seen video footage of people flailing their arms and legs about when being pinned to the ground by several burly police men and being sat upon thus making breathing extremely difficult. I think I would probably flail too.

Heaven help us if it becomes an arrestable offence here not to cross the road at the correct designated point. The jails would be full.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 15:42   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've seen video footage of people flailing their arms and legs about when being pinned to the ground by several burly police men and being sat upon thus making breathing extremely difficult. I think I would probably flail too.

Heaven help us if it becomes an arrestable offence here not to cross the road at the correct designated point. The jails would be full.
But none of that would have happened, if he had produced his driving licence when requested, or even simpler complied with the request in the first place not to cross the road.

It's hardly up there with Rodney King, in the list of police brutality.

When you travel, you obey the laws and customs of your host country or pay the consequences, you don't bleat about it afterwards.

Old 11-01-2007, 15:48   #23
God Member

Please remember that in the USA, driving is done on the right-hand side of the road. This is of course, illogical, both from a health and a social viewpoint. It is a simple fact that the 50-odd countries that drive on the left have a lower accident per mile/vehicle than those that drive on the right. And, of course, if your girlfriend/wife happens to be right handed, it is much better that she sits on your left to give some comfort in the course of a long and arduous journey, such as to and from the Accy ASDA.

Is it any wonder, then, that American or European pavements have to be policed in the way they are? The simple solution to all this nonsense about jaywalking is to make traffic drive on the correct side of the road - the left - and then we can all cross the road in safety and without harressment from cops who have nowt else to do.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 15:49   #24
Resident Waffler

I don't think he had his driving licence on him. From what he said in the interview he was dithering because he was wondering what he did have that he could show which would be adequate for the purpose. I still think the police actions were OTT. If it had been me I don't have a driving licence and my passport would be locked safely away so what would I produce?

Old 11-01-2007, 16:28   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't think he had his driving licence on him. From what he said in the interview he was dithering because he was wondering what he did have that he could show which would be adequate for the purpose. I still think the police actions were OTT. If it had been me I don't have a driving licence and my passport would be locked safely away so what would I produce?
He did have his UK driving licence on him at the time, but not his passport.

Old 11-01-2007, 16:37   #26
God Member

Who gives a damn what sort of identification he had with him? This arrogant fool chose to break the laws of a country of which he was a guest; he gave a little bit of lip to a copper and got a little slap in return. So what?

Can someone tell me what is currently going on in Accrington? Has the storm blown over yet? Do I need my wellys tomorrow?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 16:46   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Who gives a damn what sort of identification he had with him? This arrogant fool chose to break the laws of a country of which he was a guest; he gave a little bit of lip to a copper and got a little slap in return. So what?

Can someone tell me what is currently going on in Accrington? Has the storm blown over yet? Do I need my wellys tomorrow?
Oh dearie me. I'm in agreement with old Teabag on this one.

Re: the weather in Accy.

Storm still raging. All roads are closed, and impassable. Travellers warned to stay at home.

Old 11-01-2007, 16:49   #28
Resident Waffler

Oh well I'm in a very small minority here but I still feel sorry for him for the ordeal he went through which seems so unfair.

What exactly is the legal definition of 'jaywalking' ?

Old 11-01-2007, 16:51   #29
Senior Member+

If you are going to put ur wellies on put weights in the bottom!!

and I agree with Tealeaf and Garinda on this one.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 16:52   #30
Senior Member+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..