Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56   #61
Resident Waffler

Re: American (Georgian) style policing

I shall go and have another read of that site. I found the videos hard to listen to as there's always too much peripheral noise here even when I ask people to be quiet and he is so softly spoken.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2007, 11:01   #62
Resident Waffler

Well I can see the bit where it says:

Quote:
On the days after the professor's ordeal, the Atlanta police were continuing to stop historians from jaywalking. Anybody caught crossing the street against the light was reprimanded. Many were asked to produce their driver's license. But police did not arrest anybody. Some historians were mildly amused by the attentiveness of the police to the crime of jaywalking.
I don't see where it says that they'd been doing it before.

When I read that part previously I was just pleased to see that they hadn't manhandled anyone else and assumed that perhaps they'd learned that less is more.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:05   #63
Give, give, give member

Well without going around in circles, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I just know none of it would have happened to me, because I have more sense, and would have complied with the request for i-d.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:07   #64
Resident Waffler

You see what I mean about it all being down to understanding or misunderstanding? Even reading the report of the incident can be interpreted in diffrent ways.

Anyhow I still say being an upper class twit has never been a crime either here or in Georgia.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:09   #65
Senior Member+

but was he actually kicked to the ground?

or was he pushed onto the ground to be handcuffed ( a common thing to quickly and safely immobilise the person and prevent injury to both detainee and police officer if detainee decides to put up a fight)

i believe that this has been blown out of all proportion and that it is the nutty professor and the press that are ott in this case
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11   #66
Resident Waffler

His version of events is that he had his legs kicked out from under him. Why do people have to be on the ground to be arrested? People here are normally arrested in a vertical position aren't they?

Old 12-01-2007, 11:16   #67
Give, give, give member

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...twalk0110.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:19   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
His version of events is that he had his legs kicked out from under him. Why do people have to be on the ground to be arrested? People here are normally arrested in a vertical position aren't they?
depends on the situation if they agree yes
if not then it means using force and putting the suspect on the ground is one of the safest and most effective ways for both police officer and suspect
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36   #69
God Member

Looking back and after a look at some of the posts I started to wonder why wlse the cops would go nuts. Then it occured to me that its not just the numpty bimbling accros the road in the wrong place that gets hurt. There is the car that could hit him and the trouble that would cause with injuries possibly to the driver. Then what about the mental trauma the medical bills and what it would do to any kids seeing it especially if they were in the car. So fair doo's the police were over the top but compared to what might have happened he got off lightly.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:21   #70
Resident Waffler

Now that's a very interestingly different slant to things Rindy because to read the officers account there is no reference at all to the professor having his legs kicked out from under him and yet:
Quote:
"It looked rather pathetic," said Lisa Kazmier, a professor of history at Drexel University in Philadelphia. She witnessed the arrest. "I definitely felt sorry for the guy. It was like he was Osama Bin Laden or something. It seemed so bizarre seeing this helpless looking guy on the ground like that."

At least it hasn't been dismissed or poohpoohed by Mayor Shirley Franklin who said she has asked police chief Richard Pennington to look into 'the incident' so it is obviously a concern that this shouldn't be a normal ocurrance.

Old 12-01-2007, 14:00   #71
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I suspect you are wrong. I bet they eat meat.

How very louche.
Nope. Donuts!

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:06   #72
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
It's based on the hated rivalry in the game of baseball between the Boston Red Sox (yay, woohoo, yippee, Go Sox) and the hated New York Yankees (boo, hiss, eat my shorts Billcat . . .).

Okay, American etiquet lesson, and 3 lagers, over!

Brian
"Eat my shorts?" My, you are being retro today!

You are welcome to my share of the lagers.

Red Sox? Red Sox? Is that one of those minor-league franchises? I will admit, however, that my dad was a Boston Braves fan while he was at Hahvahd! "Spahn, Sain, and two days of rain!"

Old 12-01-2007, 14:11   #73
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Why on earth should it have escalated into the prof having his legs kicked out from under him and half a dozen policemen to arrest him? Did it really need so many to pin down one puny little professor? Was it his upper class English accent that caused such a furore?
An English accent and just a soupcon of attitude (or the preception of attitude, even) would be enough to set off some cops. Obviously, as the mayor saw fit to have this incident investigated, there is a possibility that something was amiss.

Old 12-01-2007, 14:13   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
yep, and probably everyone of them is a vegan .....
Yes,But these fine officer's are attached to the vice squad,Georgia,s best kept secret.Jay walking is a way of life to them.
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:14   #75
Resident Waffler

I think his accent and mannerisms could easily have been misinterpreted as "attitude".

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..