Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 16:58   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: American (Georgian) style policing

This is an interesting paragraph
Quote:
Some supporters of jaywalking argue that on certain streets, jaywalking can be safer than crossing properly at an intersection. When a pedestrian crosses at an intersection, there is traffic going three or more different directions, with four directions being standard in almost all cases. Vehicles may go straight, or they may turn left or right across the pedestrian's path. This is typically at high speed, sometimes without signalling, and sometimes while running red lights at even higher speeds. However, drivers may be more likely to expect pedestrians at a corner than in the middle of the block.

I would much rather cross where there is only traffic from two directions if there isn't a pelican crossing type thing with lights at the crossroads. In fact I've walked up a road rather than cross at a junction many times. Good job it's not illegal here. In fact didn't the Green Cross Man actually tell children to cross "away from junctions and parked cars"?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2007, 16:58   #32
I am Banned

right or wrong i still find the bashing of this ****** hilarious
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 17:52   #33
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Who gives a damn what sort of identification he had with him? This arrogant fool chose to break the laws of a country of which he was a guest; he gave a little bit of lip to a copper and got a little slap in return. So what?

Can someone tell me what is currently going on in Accrington? Has the storm blown over yet? Do I need my wellys tomorrow?
I too agree with Tealeaf here. I also believe the cop was probably one of our arrogant type of police officer.

I work with aot of police officers and they come in all types. Unfortunately, many have an overactive bravado about them. These types use their position of authority in a somewhat bullyish manner.

You can see it on the "Cops" show. I've seen some of those guys (cops) reactive so violently when there was absolutely no cause. They just felt like either showing off for the camera or having a go at someone who isn't allowed to "resist!"

I mean, even in this case, it was only Jaywalking. In all the cities or towns I've been in, jaywalking is permissable (although still basically illegal). Where the cities/towns take it more seriously and enforce this law it is usually clearly posted along many of the roads!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 18:08   #34
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I mean, even in this case, it was only Jaywalking. In all the cities or towns I've been in, jaywalking is permissable (although still basically illegal). Where the cities/towns take it more seriously and enforce this law it is usually clearly posted along many of the roads!

Brian
And, if the cop is really concerned about jaywalking, a polite warning is usually the worst outcome.

About the only time I've ever seen a cop get upset with jaywalking is when a fellow did some very unsafe jaywalking with his children. The cop's theme was pretty much "get yourself killed if you wish, but don't endanger the kids." No ticket, just a stern warning.

You are also correct, LancYorkYankee, there police work attracts a number of folks who abuse the powers of the office. It's a small percentage, but one that does a lot to destroy respect for law enforcement. Had a fellow the year behind me in high school who went into the local force. A felloow with little in the way of people skills from his early days, not a lick of common sense, and never changed. Spent his career doing whatever the captain (a pretty good friend of mine) could do to keep him away from interaction with the public - and a lot of time on probationary status for his improper behavior! I can easily imagnie him acting as the officer did in Atlanta.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 18:23   #35
Yank in King Art's Court!

Yeah, I agree with that Billcat. I too knew a few guys from high school who became cops. It seemed to be either the bullies or the ones who had been bullied. Both types joined the force with some anger or people lacking issues. It's unfortunate how they do bring discredit to the rest of the police.

I mean, the typical U.S. cop is content with his daily dozen donuts and lack of any type of physical exertion!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:20   #36
Resting in peace

Why do they do they call it 'Jaywalking', I do not think this beautiful bird would be daft enough to walk in front of traffic in 'blighty', never mind a main street in the USA. As for the brutal police officer was he racially motivated? Correct me if I am wrong please, but did not the State of Georgia play a significant part in the slave trade.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:24   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Why do they do they call it 'Jaywalking', I do not think this beautiful bird would be daft enough to walk in front of traffic in 'blighty', never mind a main street in the USA. As for the brutal police officer was he racially motivated? Correct me if I am wrong please, but did not the State of Georgia play a significant part in the slave trade.

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper...ins/jaywalking

Bah, those damn Yankies are to blame again.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:26   #38
God Member

Quote:
As for the brutal police officer was he racially motivated?
Could well be true.
That bloke's accent certainly makes me want to give him a slap!

Surely the just and fair USA law enforcement should be more professional Yeh right...
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:33   #39
God Member

Quote:
after viewing the videos of the interview with the supercilious arrogant prat of a history professor I agree with the actions of Bubba , think I would have given him a slap 'upside' the head . I dont think the cop was guilty of racial profiling , unless it was against effete British intellectuals who think its ok to use the word 'louche' in everyday conversation .........

Last edited by steeljack; 12-01-2007 at 00:33. Reason: spelling
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:33   #40
Senior Member+

well i say send him to joe arpaio - that'll teach him not to jaywalk (or give grief to a copper)
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:36   #41
Give, give, give member

'I come from a country where you can cross the road where you like," said the visiting professor of global environmental history.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6251431.stm

Yes you do Professor. You also come from a country where the age of consent is sixteen. So it's a good job you didn't sleep with a girl in Arizona, because unlike here the age of consent is eighteen in that state.

I wasn't there to witness this incident, but I just know there was the sort of attitude from the learned academic, that shouts of
'How very dare you! Don't you know who I am?'

Old 12-01-2007, 00:38   #42
Senior Member+

reminds me of those damned impudent fuzzy wuzzy's - they don't like it up 'em you know!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:42   #43
God Member

The '...but I didn't know officer!' is of course a lie. & very 'Carry On...'.

Still, as I said earlier, no one deserves that kind of treatment for such a non-crime.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:46   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
The '...but I didn't know officer!' is of course a lie. & very 'Carry On...'.

Still, as I said earlier, no one deserves that kind of treatment for such a non-crime.
I think the professor protesteth to much .....probably the type who likes being roughed-up by a guy in cop uniform, I understand there are folks that enjoy this type of abuse
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:48   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I think the professor protesteth to much .....probably the type who likes being roughed-up by a guy in cop uniform, I understand there are folks that enjoy this type of abuse

Whose the Daddy?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..