Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2004, 19:28   #16
Member.

Re: Animal Rights Protestors = Terrorists

.................................................. .................................................. ..................

Last edited by Doug; 30-07-2004 at 22:48.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2004, 19:31   #17
God Member

It was'nt me Doug, honest: but I'll buy you a pint tomorrow night (just bring me a box of .22ammo, OK)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:35   #18
Member.

.................................................. .................................................. ...............

Last edited by Doug; 30-07-2004 at 22:48.
Old 30-07-2004, 19:37   #19
Always EVIL within us

I agree with most of the sentiments expressed in this post except the U.S.A's "death row." Maybe I am wrong but I thought that this period of time was a "last chance" opportunity to appeal to the U.S. Government for clemency?

Personally, I feel that there should be 2 classes of 1st degree murder. Those that have been found guilty by a jury..... and I believe that there should be a time lapse for them like "death row" (how many times have we heard of new evidence coming through after the court case?) and those that were caught "red handed" and have no defence to offer. Now THOSE I would happily allow to be put forward for testing.........
As for the ALF, They do far more damage to animal rights than ALL the experimental research establishments put together! The only objection I have to fox hunting is that it is almost exclusively the "sport" of Hoo-Ray Henries and THAT I feel is why many people spotlight this activity, but if not for them, the farmer would just blow the foxes to bits with a 12 bore shotgun instead.
Nothing is said about the ferreter who walks the fields in the early mornings putting a ferret down a rabbit hole to terrorise and maim those unfortunate rabbits that are too slow to exit their holes into the waiting nets and clubs of humans. But when all said and done, these animals are a blight to the farmer and have to be culled one way or another.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:43   #20
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I totally agree that whatever the cause, these terrorists should be stopped. I condider myself to be an animal lover, and I do think that some cosmetics etc should not be tested on animals. There are a lot of supposedly untested beauty products on the market, I have used them and can vouch that they are no different to the tested ones. Medical science continues to progress due to both animal testing and human volunteers (drug trials etc) Surely the process of evolution determines which species has supremecy. In this day and age if we were to release all our animals they would be run over by traffic, breed uncontrollably and become pests..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 19:44   #21
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
Try the shop a couple of doors up from The Hope and Anchor on Whalley Road
I have a cat problem as well and shall pay a visit to that shop also, it's my last hope.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 20:50   #22

I can understand the overall argument regarding animal experimentation and drug testing. I have seen photos of some pretty nasty things. Implants on various animals, live surgery, i.e whilst animal is conscious, artificial probes inserted to stimulate involuntary movement etc To me these things are on the whole performed solely for experimentation and curiosity. However where animals are well looked after and do not suffer pain, torture and general abuse then I agree that some testing has to be done. In the case of drugs that may cure disease and save millions of lives I think there is no other option. The only alternative is for volunteers to test the beta form these drugs, considering the overall argument that animals are equal to humans im sure that there are many activists who would be willing to maybe sacrifice there own life and volunteer their services. Also I hope these people don't ever get ill because they couldnt possibly accept any drugs from there doctor as this would be un ethical..........wonder if they wear leather shoes or boots?

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2004, 07:08   #23

Janet - Sorry if it seemed that way, I would never do that in a million years!
Old 31-07-2004, 07:09   #24
Senior Member+

Talking about that, can anyone recommend a good air rifle, accurate to about 15 yards? I'm plagued with my neighbours ferral cats at the moment - they're taking out 2 or 3 birdies a day - so I want something which is powerul, accurate & I can reload within 2/3 seconds, so I can get a second shot in immeadiatly after the first.

Try the natural way T. a dog works wonders and the family get enjoyment out of it too
Old 31-07-2004, 12:11   #25
God Member

Oh Dear. Looks like Dougs been giving someone a ruthless savaging....probably all to no avail, anyway. It don't matter what new medicines may be developed (tested on animals, convicts or anyone else), as of yesterdays High Court ruling, clinical decision making has now passed from the doctor to the judge &the lawyer....another opportunity for the latter to fleece the taxpayer of billions in legal aid. (actually, if there are more tests to be done, lets do it on the laywers. I, for one, would have no hesitation in getting the Black & Decker going on some barristers thick skull followed up by a permanent meccano & test tube attachment)
Old 31-07-2004, 12:23   #26
Member.

No Tea, Doug’s just been a selfish arrogant immature idiot.
Old 31-07-2004, 12:28   #27
God Member

Never apologise & never explain.....................
Old 31-07-2004, 12:58   #28
Member.

Thanks for that Tealeaf.
Old 20-08-2004, 12:10   #29

Just been listening to an interesting news item on Radio Five Live (an excellent station if I can say so). It concerned a village of about 300/400 people in Staffordshire and its residents, but in particular a certain resident who bred guinea pigs and then sold them to animal test centres. The ALF and other such organisations got hold of this and have since been terorising other residents in the village in a bid to ostracize him and his family from the local community. They have done this by threatening to put his neighbours windows through, threatened the local pub to bar him otherwise they would burn the place down including their cars and those of the landlords family, abusive phone calls to neighbours etc.etc. Basically they have started threatening the neighbours and associates of this man in a bid to get to him - and apparently this isnt the only case. The police spokesman said that it was very hard to stop this happening - I would have thought catching those responsible and giving them a good kicking would be a start.....;-) Whatever the reasoning there is no excuse for this sort of action - like has been said before, the ALF and others are not gaining any support from the general public by following this dire course of extreme 'witchhuntery'.

I consider myself an animal lover - but Morissey once said that how can we call ourselves a nation of animal lovers when about 95% of the population eat animal flesh? It does make quite a mockery of the term 'animal lover'. Your thoughts?
Old 20-08-2004, 12:33   #30
Resting in peace

Okay, agreed on no animal testing for cosmetics.

Animal testing for drugs is still essential, although using long term prisoners banged up for nasty crimes would be a really good idea. Incidentally, there is still the death penalty for two offences: High Treason, and Arson in Her Majesty's Dockyards!

As to foxhunting, it isn't just Hooray Henries, that is a misapprehension. Hunts have all sorts of members, I personally know not just farmers, but a coalman and two dustmen in Sussex who go out with the Chiddingfold & Leconbury Hunt.

Nice one, the Chidding & Lec a couple of years ago were out cubbing (essential to keep the fox population down) with a group of hunt sabs in attendance. Once of the female HSs decided she would save this dear little fox cub from the huntsman's attentions. It bit her to the bone, I seem to remembe she had 20 stitches!

It's also very difficult to kill a fox by shooting - what usually happens is that they are injured, develop septicaemia and die in great pain some weeks later.

Let's put ferrets up the trousers of the Animal Liberationists and see how soon they change their tune!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..