Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2004, 16:14   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Asian Disaster

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics...ahoo&cmpgn=CRS Loads of different ones.

https://secure.ga3.org/02/asia_earth...ce=aqt04_yahoo Oxfam

If you want to donate on line look at these website..

Last edited by Bazf; 30-12-2004 at 17:30.
Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2004, 17:24   #17
Senior Member+

You can also donate on line with,
www.dec.org.uk
or have your credit/debit details handy phone 0870 60 60 900
it's easier to get through on phone than web site.
Old 30-12-2004, 18:52   #18
Senior Member+

ten years later when ppl have long forgotten about it a tv channel is going to do a documentary about this - and then we will only know about the true figures of this tragedy.

its times like this i wish i was qualified as a doc i'd love to go adn help over there
Old 31-12-2004, 05:23   #19
God Member

Saw a sickening report on the BBC news last night, re the indian government restricting access to remote areas for aid workers who want to assess the damage and co-ordinate the relief effort. So thousands will go without help because the indian government doesn't want to loose face.
Old 31-12-2004, 09:08   #20
Resident Waffler

I didn't see that A-b but it's absolutely appalling. Can't they see that by doing this they are losing face?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 14:11   #21
Beacon of light

I think that one of the things that shines out from this terrible situation is the kindness being shown to survivors, regardless of their race or religion. And heroes, the people who have put their own lives in peril to save others. I also think about the aid workers who are having the awful task of cataloging the fatalities and collecting DNA samples, and my heart goes out to those who have the task of contacting relatives with bad news.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 22:49   #22
Senior Member+

What a truly HORRIFIC disaster...............

Words seem silly right now. Like so many others, wish we could do more than just donate money.

A-b did not see the news about Indian goverment, but sounds right. Can anyone else remember reports about The indian goverment testing Nuclear Bombs DEEP in the indian ocean a while ago. For every Action there is an equal Reaction

My thoughts and prayers are with ALL touched by this disaster.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:20   #23
God Member

Link here to satellite photographs of the disaster in Indonesia and Sri-Lanka.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/tsunami_gallery.html
Old 02-01-2005, 08:23   #24
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
Can anyone else remember reports about The indian goverment testing Nuclear Bombs DEEP in the indian ocean a while ago. For every Action there is an equal Reaction
I remember that. There's an answer for the people who called it an act of God and blame God for treating humanity so cruelly.

We can't expect to treat the earth the way we do and for it not to have consequences. Unfortunately innocent people suffer.

Thanks for the link A-b. I was reading an AOL blog yesterday written by someone close to the rescue areas etc. I should have made a note of it.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:48   #25
God Member

I shall donate nothing, other than offer a few observations:

1) Numerous institutions had predicted an earthquake/tsunami in this region; while the science is such that it's timing cannot have been calculated, recomendations were made for early warning and alarm systems. These would have been relatively inexpensive. What happened? Nothing.

2) There are alot of odd figures being bandied about. The Swedish government, for instance, is saying that about 3,500 of it's nationals are missing; the British government is saying a couple of hundred. Why the discrepency, given the fact that that there would have been far more Brits out there than Swedes? Are we better swimmers than the Swedes, or just less docile? Can anyone explain this discreprency?

3) Why are governments now involved in a bidding war, each trying to outdo the other in the amount of taxpayers money they are going to give in "aid"? Most of these funds will invariably end up in bureaucrats' pockets or alternatively supporting the charity industry. Well, there's not much I can do about my taxes ending up this way, but please don't stick the collecting pot in front of me.

4) Some years ago, about 1 million people were killed in Rwanda (thats in Africa for those of you that don't know), in an act of systematic genocide, over a period of 3 months. What was the response from the West? Buggar all until it was all over, and then a couple of paragraphs in the papers and the odd item on t'telly. Why this discreprency?

5) Anyway, we'll all be back at work next week and the TV schedules get back to normal...I wonder what the disaster next Christmas will be ..2003 was the Iraq eartquake, 2004 SE Asia, 2005.....Canary Islands Tsumami?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 02-01-2005 at 11:50.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:54   #26
God Member

I read the Independent this morning and they had an interesting little table showing which countries had contributed what amount to the relief effort. One would imagine that since most of the countries affected are either wholly muslim or have sizeable muslim populations that the oil rich middle eastern states would top the list of doners, wouldn't you.

Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Turkey have managed to scrape together between them a total of £13,052,400. While the Great Satan and it's lickspittle, Great Britain, have so far managed £233,000,000 (not taking in to account public donations). Funny, that!
Old 03-01-2005, 12:13   #27
God Member

It's getting worse, is'nt it? Now we find the government has organised 3 minutes silence on wednesday. Why 3 minutes for 150,000, few of whom are UK Nationals, when Rememberance Day is 2 minutes for 1.5million? I for one will not be observing 3 minutes silence, nor 2 minutes, nor 1 minute; I shall observe nowt.

This is getting as bad as that one week of madness we had when that woman Di and her mates paid the price for breaking the speed limit in Paris a few years back. Mind you, I suppose the scousers will be having their 3 minutes of silence. Thats all that lot seem to do these days.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 13:07   #28
Resident Waffler

We had two minutes silence in Church on Sunday. I think it's a valid sign of respect, maybe even of gratitude for our own safety at present. Goodness knows why three minutes on Wednesday.

Old 03-01-2005, 13:21   #29
Beacon of light

While I think you are entitled to your opinion Tealeaf.....I agree with Willow that it is a sign of respect for all the people who lost their lives in this tragedy.......what is 3 minutes out of a life time?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 13:46   #30

Couldn't have put it better myself Margeret and Willow.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..