Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 16:47   #46
God Member

Re: Asian Disaster

Hear, hear. I couldn't agree more. On another tack, what do we make of today's revelation that criminal gangs are cashing in on the trade in children orphaned as a result of the tidal wave?
Old 04-01-2005, 17:06   #47
land of hope and glory

If there are bigger things yet to come then it's even more worrying. When Britain is hit I think we'll be thankful of any help offered by others.
and what aid would britain get? and from whom?the brits are so soft hearted and give genorously to countrys all over the world so if we give to them who would give to us.the world is a small place,there are attrocities happening all the time,we only get to see what the media wants us to see! Tealeaf talks as a person that believes charity begins at home!he is right,the people whose lives have been affected by all this will not see a percentage of what has been donated what you will see is a few palaces and grand houses being built for the higher archy.

WHEN THE WORLD STOPS ITS TIME TO GET OFF!!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:08   #48
Resident Waffler

I see starving children being fed.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:15   #49
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
We have starving children in this country willow and you dont have to travel far to see this!
Old 04-01-2005, 17:21   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Ahh but the world would be perfect without starving children needing to be fed, but, (AND THERE ALWAYS IS A BUT),no matter how generous the majority of people are when it comes to something like this there are always those lucky, selfish , little fat cats there on what is now popularly known as ground zero, that are prepared to take advantage of both the gullibillity of some & the suffering of others that are in need. Do not confuse your own guilt of, "there but for the grace of god.....", with I want to help, if you want to make a difference then never eat anything that casts a shadow! (Something from the Simpsons).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:24   #51
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
We have starving children in this country willow and you dont have to travel far to see this!
We shouldn't have starving children in this country.

Old 04-01-2005, 17:40   #52

Quote:
We shouldn't have starving Children in the world, never mind this Country, but we do & no matter how much you wring your hands suffering will always go on in the world because that is the nature of the beast!
Old 04-01-2005, 17:41   #53
land of hope and glory

Quote:
why do you think we should not have starving people in this country willow?just go down accy centre and have a look around people sat on the pavement begging,people picking fag ends up,kids in dirty scruffy clothes,mums pushing prams about full of stolen stuff(+ the baby)take a step back and you can observe these things on our own doorstep!
Old 04-01-2005, 17:45   #54
land of hope and glory

actually saw a caring mother the other day ? she was in the asda with two rug rats and she had bought a nit comb, that says to me she cares about the kids health.(havent they gone posh with these nit combs now)
Old 04-01-2005, 17:50   #55

Just a quick thought, Why if the person that started this thread is so caring did they call it Asian Disaster? If you really cared shouldn't you call it HUMAN DISASTER?
Old 04-01-2005, 17:58   #56
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Just a quick thought, Why if the person that started this thread is so caring did they call it Asian Disaster? If you really cared shouldn't you call it HUMAN DISASTER?
did the people who have died not come from all corners of the world?
Old 04-01-2005, 18:17   #57
Resident Waffler

Probably referring to geographic location.

Old 04-01-2005, 18:17   #58
land of hope and glory

this is what you call disasters some people have short memories!

How do you rate "worst" when it comes to natural disasters? By the sheer size of the events themselves, the spread of impact, economic cost or the loss of human life?

By any of the above counts, the earthquake off Sumatra rates as a human tragedy, but is far short of the worst events of the past 100 years or so as humanity stretched and squeezed into an increasingly vulnerable planet.

If the measurement is loss of life then the 14,000-plus casualties of Sumatra pale in comparison to the earthquake that struck Tianjin in China on July 27, 1976. The official casualty figure issued by the Chinese government was 255,000, but unofficial estimates of the death toll were as high as 655,000.

A list published by the US Geological Survey includes a string of earthquakes where the death toll is measured in the tens of thousands. These include 200,000 deaths in Ningxia-Kansu, China in 1920; 143,000 in Kanto, Japan in 1923; 70,000 in Messina, Italy in 1908; and 66,000 in Peru in 1970. More recently, 50,000 died in western Iran on June 20, 1990; 41,000 in Bam, Iran in December last year; 25,000 in Armenia in December 1988, and 20,000 in Gujarat, India in January 2001.

Volcanic eruptions have also killed tens of thousands. The worst in recent times was at Mont Pelee in Martinique, Lesser Antilles in 1902, when 30,000 inhabitants of the capital St Pierre were killed. On November 13, 1985, an eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano in Colombia caused a mudflow that engulfed the city of Armero and killed more than 23,000 people.

Floods cause more deaths each year than any other natural disaster, on average. China and Bangladesh, in particular, have been devastated repeatedly. More than 300,000 died in Bangladesh in November 1970 and a further 130,000 in April 1991, from cyclone-induced flooding. The flooding of the Yangtze River in China in 1931 caused an estimated 3 million deaths from flooding and starvation.

In terms of its spread of impact, the Boxing Day earthquake and tsunami that struck Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, Malaysia and Thailand - at 9.0 on the Richter scale, revised from 8.9 yesterday, the fifth largest ever recorded - compares with the biggest events of the past century, including its biggest quake at a magnitude of 9.5 which hit Chile on May 22, 1960. The tsunami which it created struck not only Chile, but Hawaii, Japan, and the Philippines.

Perhaps the most famous disaster was the destruction of the Indonesian island of Krakatoa in August 1883, when an explosion that could be heard more than 4000 kilometres away caused a series of tsunamis, some as high as 40 metres, which killed more than 36,000 people in the coastal towns and villages along the Sunda Strait between Java and Sumatra.

Its impact was also recorded or observed throughout the Indian and Pacific oceans, the west coast of the US, South America and even as far away as the English Channel.

this is not the first or last!
Old 04-01-2005, 18:21   #59
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
why do you think we should not have starving people in this country willow?just go down accy centre and have a look around people sat on the pavement begging,people picking fag ends up,kids in dirty scruffy clothes,mums pushing prams about full of stolen stuff(+ the baby)take a step back and you can observe these things on our own doorstep!
I still say we shouldn't have starving people in this country. There shouldn't be people sitting on the pavement begging. I'm not saying they aren't there, just that they shouldn't be.

I have also seen someone begging for money for food but when offered food he refused it because he wanted the money instead. I later saw him drinking from a bottle of cider - very nourishing.

How do you help these people?

Old 04-01-2005, 18:25   #60
land of hope and glory

Quote:
I still say we shouldn't have starving people in this country. There shouldn't be people sitting on the pavement begging. I'm not saying they aren't there, just that they shouldn't be.

I have also seen someone begging for money for food but when offered food he refused it because he wanted the money instead. I later saw him drinking from a bottle of cider - very nourishing.

How do you help these people?
quick injection willow,or coat them with fox scent and let the dogs go...lol.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..