Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 18:26   #61
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Asian Disaster

Another quick thought, if Children in need is of any use, then, it should no longer be needed. NOT celebrating twenty odd years of irritating the hell out of every-one every year!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2005, 18:28   #62
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
. Do not confuse your own guilt of, "there but for the grace of god.....", with I want to help, if you want to make a difference then never eat anything that casts a shadow! (Something from the Simpsons).
It's not guilt - it's gratitude. The rest I shall ignore because it's just silly.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 18:34   #63
land of hope and glory

I still say we shouldn't have starving people in this country. There shouldn't be people sitting on the pavement begging. I'm not saying they aren't there, just that they shouldn't be.
its a strange word isnt it! or should i have said words?because how many times have we said to ourselves i shouldnt do that or i shouldve done this?(why is my text looking like phyliss out of coranation street?).
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 18:46   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
It's not guilt - it's gratitude. The rest I shall ignore because it's just silly.
I'm glad you feel grateful though I don't know what for, as for silly of course it was it was meant to be silly, it's just as silly as waking up this morning & finding on the news that the monies donated by the generous & caring people to the 'Disaster Fund' are now having the money cared for by a 'disaster Committee', pardon, excuse me, where has that come from? Did you nominate some-one for Chair-person? I know I didn't, will this end up like Diannes fund or the Faulklands fund? Bursting at the seams with cash earning interest with members not able to decide who is deserving & who isn't , still meeting years after the event & quickly going no-where?
Old 04-01-2005, 18:47   #65

One thing i have to say is this kind of disaster is above all of us we can not start to comprehend the massive loss of life it turns into a figure which stops all connection that this is actual people with so many people dying and still the mahjour prospect of many more thousands if not tens and hundreds of thousands dying from poor disentry with the spread of malaria being a majour threat now. ON the news it is starting to show the aid getting threw to the first people but it doesnt and cant show all the others who are not in the news the many thousands that are left homeless, and dying just think of how many people you Know and then count how many this is and then comapre this with the massive amount that has died could you keep going if all your family, friends, loved ones and even enimies all died on you.

The only thing that we can do is to respect what these countries are going through many of them are heavily over populated and already lived in squaler

The majour problem with these disaster is that we all want to help we all want to save a life but that is very hard for us as we give our money to the charities but then we never see iot again we see the aid arriving on the news but nobody or not me thinks that it is my money what has bought that aid for them and this is the case. but just hopefully people will have it in thier harts to help the sufferers of this NATURAL disaster which could easily happen to us!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 18:51   #66
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
One thing i have to say is this kind of disaster is above all of us we can not start to comprehend the massive loss of life it turns into a figure which stops all connection that this is actual people with so many people dying and still the mahjour prospect of many more thousands if not tens and hundreds of thousands dying from poor disentry with the spread of malaria being a majour threat now. ON the news it is starting to show the aid getting threw to the first people but it doesnt and cant show all the others who are not in the news the many thousands that are left homeless, and dying just think of how many people you Know and then count how many this is and then comapre this with the massive amount that has died could you keep going if all your family, friends, loved ones and even enimies all died on you.

The only thing that we can do is to respect what these countries are going through many of them are heavily over populated and already lived in squaler

The majour problem with these disaster is that we all want to help we all want to save a life but that is very hard for us as we give our money to the charities but then we never see iot again we see the aid arriving on the news but nobody or not me thinks that it is my money what has bought that aid for them and this is the case. but just hopefully people will have it in thier harts to help the sufferers of this NATURAL disaster which could easily happen to us!!!
we have respected every country that has had a disaster,people talk about it then forget about it!life goes on.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 18:59   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven

Beautiful sentiments Steven I would not contradict with any of them, Nature proves every time that life will always be a struggle but while we can all jump around at the time of a calamity & say shame on you to those that don't wear their hearts on their sleeves, give it another month & ask the same people to spell Tsunami & they will probably ask what do you mean?, human nature unfortunately means we all too soon return to our own selfish ways the first thing that happens is the suffering of others is brushed under the carpet.

I probably feel no less than others about the suffering those poor people are going through. But, I for one am ready to admit that I am glad I am not suffering with them.
Old 04-01-2005, 22:28   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Another quick thought, if Children in need is of any use, then, it should no longer be needed. NOT celebrating twenty odd years of irritating the hell out of every-one every year!

Different children have new and different needs each year and each year the charity is able to help. It sounds like a good reason to be pleased. The children who were in need 20 years ago are adults now and probably contributing towards helping others.

In my experience often the ones who do most for others are those with least to spare.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 22:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
we have respected every country that has had a disaster,people talk about it then forget about it!life goes on.
Indeed, life goes on for most of us but how much more difficult for those who don't even have clean drinking water or a roof over their heads.

The mere fact that there have been disasters prior to this and will probably be disasters after this doesn't make this one any less tragic nor detract from their need of help.

Why the concern about the existence of a disaster committee? Everything needs some amount of organisation and co-ordination to prevent the very stagnation which critics fear.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 18:03   #70
God Member

Why are the atheists claiming this disaster to be an act of God ?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:43   #71
God Member

I think that you will find that athiests are crowing because the staggering loss of life would imply a less than caring attitude on the part of the deity, contrary to the claims of believers.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:47   #72
Resident Waffler

That's because atheists do not understand the nature of deity nor the purpose of life.

But when you think about it, if they are saying that natural disaster implies an uncaring nature on the part of God they are in fact admitting to the existence of a being they profess not to believe in and so that alters the definition of atheism.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:02   #73
God Member

Errrm, no. I think the argument runs... "If your god is so caring, how come he let this happen?" The validation of unbelief is implicit but not stated.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:04   #74
Resident Waffler

To which my reply would be "If you don't believe he exists why are you asking?"

Old 07-01-2005, 10:33   #75

Quote:
Willow: That's because atheists do not understand the nature of deity nor the purpose of life.
That's a bit rich init Willow, an atheist does not understand the purpose of life!!

That implies that only believers of a god or deity can understand. Sorry Willow, but that's a worrying assumption of religious arrogance.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..