Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 18:56   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Asian Disaster

My own opinion,ignore it if you wish;disasters like this show the fragility of our planet and the everyday lives we take for granted.This has helped me to put my own petty little issues into perspective and hopefully I will be able to live every day to the full and appreciate what I have got instead of moaning about what I want.

My sympathies to those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy.
Old 03-01-2005, 20:30   #32
Beacon of light

You are right on the button there......it makes any problems that I have, pale into insignificance......and it just goes to show how fleeting our existence can be.....and makes me more determined to make sure I leave something good behind me.
I only hope that those who lost their lives experienced a happy time before they were taken.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 20:37   #33

The people of asia must be going through hell now and i want to be the first one to thank the driver of the stanley ultras coach for donationg the money collected in the whip around for him

It is the little thing like that which show a persons true colours
Old 03-01-2005, 21:16   #34

Also just found out that they raised £1110 at Halifax and £170 at the stanley end alone
Old 03-01-2005, 21:52   #35
Resident Waffler

It's good to hear things like that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 23:20   #36
God Member

DEATHS ON THE ROADS IN THE UK 2004 = 3,500 Estimate.

Right then, lets have 3 minutes of silence for them. Starting with all you lot above.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 23:29   #37
Senior Member+

Right Tealeaf I have been quite as asked...

Just found this site worth a quick look....

http://cvilleindymedia.org/newswire.php?story_id=1199
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 23:50   #38
God Member

You idiot, Simon. The Yanks did nuclear tests in the Pacific.......errrrr, I think this earthquake was in the Indian Ocean. As far as I'm aware, the last tests the Yanks conducted were severa years ago. However, our Muslim & Hindu friends on the Asian subcontinent have been as busy as buggary conducting their own nuclear tests in the last few years....where, I wonder? I would like to think that our Indian friends would now possibly be suspending spending on their nuclear programn to put some dosh in the way of their coastal defences.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 00:15   #39

I can't believe that people are arguing about this. I am totally dumbfounded by such a callous attitude.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsmacked
I can't believe that people are arguing about this. I am totally dumbfounded by such a callous attitude.
I think everybody has the right to their opininions...even if you or I don't agree with them.

Callousness isn't the only issue, there are far too many leaders / governments etc. who are equally far more callous, and worse still, pretend to care.

Does the UK care more because we have donated 'n' millions?

Does Saudi Arabia care less because they have donated only 10 million, and raised 155 million for the families of suicide bombers who daily kill innocent people?

To put things into some sort of perspective;
There have been, and will be, more severe natural disasters, but to an individual, the loss of a loved one is more harrowing. It is the scale of the thing that astounds us...and the fact that the media are grinding out each and every heart rendering story to the last drop perpetuates the disaster to the last penny!

Indonesia is a large oil exporter.
India spends countless amounts of money on nuclear weapons.
Sri Lanka has a long time civil war, and spend most of its annual income on arms.
Thailand exisits off drugs, and the sex trade, and nobody knows what they do with their national income, corruption being the "norm".

But none of the above will bring back those who have died in the disaster, nor will things really change in these countries in the near future!

But that is my perspective!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:00   #41
Resident Waffler

There seems to be some disagreement about whether or not this is the most severe natural disaster.

As some have said, any disaster is the worst to those involved in it.

Whatever governments do or don't do isn't always the fault of the inhabitants of those countries. If individuals are suffering and I can do something, however small, to help then I'd prefer to do so.

There was a report in the paper showing how this earthquake has actually affected the geography of the whole earth. The only thing I remember previously affecting geography was Krakatoa and that only affected a small area. Volcanic eruptions affect the country where the volcano is, but this has moved whole island groups to new locations and changed the shape of some, by squashing and bending. OK not by miles I grant you. The earth wobbled and has permanently speeded up!

I find that rather sobering. If there are bigger things yet to come then it's even more worrying. When Britain is hit I think we'll be thankful of any help offered by others.

And just because some people, countries, governments appear to be mean and stingy doesn't mean everyone should follow suit. At first the UK government was being criticised for such a paltry sum which was offered, but that was increased. I've seen different figures bandies about as coming from different countries but I don't really care who gives what just so long as people are helped. If human beings helped each other more and criticised each other less it could be a far better world. Yes, I know it's highly unlikely.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 15:36   #42
Senior Member+

Accrington Stanley have a charity match organised on Sat 29th Jan for the Tsunami appeal;some brief details on website.

Well done Stanley.
Old 04-01-2005, 16:12   #43
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Every disaster of this nature changes the Earth in some way. Tectonic plates are constantly moving and always have been thus explaining the formation of mountain ranges, underwater trenches, continents and volcanos. Many areas have been devastated by these natural phenomena in the past, Pompeii, Te Wairoa, Atlantis and Mu to name a few so-called lost cities/towns/civilisations. If you look at models and diagrams of how the world used to be millions of years ago it has changed quite dramatically. We are unlucky enough to be living in a time where we have now seen this change happen first hand. As Willow has said there has been a definite shift in the locations of some of the islands. I personally cannot begin to imagine the horror that the people affected in those areas must have been through and still be going through. I'm sure that any assistance, however small, would be very much appreciated by the people living in these affected areas. I don't think that now is the time to be getting into a bun fight about who has given what and how many minutes silence a tragedy such as this deserves. These disasters will continue to occur because that is how the natural world is. All we can do is help to pick up the pieces and to bear in mind that next time it may be us.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..

Last edited by lettie; 04-01-2005 at 17:26.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 16:35   #44
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
All we can do is help to pick up the pieces and to bear in mind that next time it may be us.
Quote:
Yes, let's help pick up the pieces whilst we can, but when all the money runs out & others don't come to your aid remember that for survivals sake you NEED people with Tea's attitude NOT namby pamby do, gooders!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 16:43   #45
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Yes, let's help pick up the pieces whilst we can, but when all the money runs out & others don't come to your aid remember that for survivals sake you NEED people with Tea's attitude NOT namby pamby do, gooders!
I personally don't see anything wrong with Tea's attitude. Two minute silences achieve nothing. I just don't see the point in arguing about it that's all.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..