Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2008, 22:17   #16

Re: Blackburn 24/7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
That is terrible.
I should clarify. The comments to the person who's mother was ill weren't actually that bad, they were just a bit inappropriate. It was when she was asked to stop (by the person who's mother was ill, not by me) that she was banned because she started to argue with her.

Who on this earth would try and cause an argument with someone who's mother had almost just died? And expect that to be okay to do on a website or anywhere else? Anyone who runs a web forum has to go to bed at night with this sort of stuff on their conscience because if it weren't for the site, that wouldn't have happened.
Old 26-08-2008, 22:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
what i don't understand is if yer having problems with a few *******, why didn't ya just ban em? just asking. sorry mate just read a previous post.
Oh Cashman, have you got a spare couple of days?

Another example (like I said I could write a book). One person practically begged to be a moderator and was a great member. I made them a moderator and then within a month they posted a virus warning as a joke (it was fake). Many members were outraged, and did not return. I had to de-mod the person. I later received an email from her boyfriend insisting that if she wasn't reinstated, their large network of friends and family would not go on the site any more. And that included the people of a pub that one of their family members owned. It was almost like a solicitors letter, but littered with terrible spelling and grammar...

Actually it was just like a solicitors letter.

Unfortunately it's not as black and white as just banning them. Sometimes penalizing one person is like alienating a membership of 20 or more. And it's usually those who push their luck because they believe they wield some kind of bargaining power. And after all's said and done it helps no one. They are banned so can't use the site, the site loses several members and the membership suffers because the site is less active.

Last edited by booth76; 26-08-2008 at 22:36.
booth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 22:34   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth76 View Post
I should clarify. The comments to the person who's mother was ill weren't actually that bad, they were just a bit inappropriate. It was when she was asked to stop (by the person who's mother was ill, not by me) that she was banned because she started to argue with her.

Who on this earth would try and cause an argument with someone who's mother had almost just died? And expect that to be okay to do on a website or anywhere else? Anyone who runs a web forum has to go to bed at night with this sort of stuff on their conscience because if it weren't for the site, that wouldn't have happened.
Think that a lot of people have the stupid idea they can just say what they want because they are sat behind a keyboard. I often wonder if they would be so nasty face to face and like to think they wouldn't. Maybe that is naive of me but I can't see some people being so vocal in the flesh, think it is false bravery in a lot of instances. You do get the odd one or two who just don't care but seems to be more rife through a computer. I am all for free speech but consider other peoples feelings as well!!!
Old 26-08-2008, 23:51   #19
white rabbits

Re: RIP Blackburn 247

I personaly never went on Blackburn web,,but its very sad and such a shame to hear something like this...
Old 27-08-2008, 00:18   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I may resurrect it at some point,

I would not bother if I was you. After reading your posts it sounds like you lost control of your site to its users. Or maybe you allowed them to dictate to you because you were too concerned about loosing and upsetting members. That why we have rules and mod's to make sure users stick to them. If people are upset that they have been told off for breaking them then let them leave and not come back.
Old 27-08-2008, 01:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I would not bother if I was you. After reading your posts it sounds like you lost control of your site to its users. Or maybe you allowed them to dictate to you because you were too concerned about loosing and upsetting members. That why we have rules and mod's to make sure users stick to them.
It was actually the opposite. We had rules and stuck to them.

Even if that was the case, we can learn by our mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If people are upset that they have been told off for breaking them then let them leave and not come back.
That's exactly what happened Neil.
Old 27-08-2008, 01:17   #22

Sorry after re-reading my post at the top of the page, I can see how you got that impression Neil. My point was that sometimes when you ban one member, they take other members with them who I would imagine don't return out of loyalty to their friend/relative. I suppose this is a symptom of it being a local site, as on an international site there's less likelihood of a member knowing the other members offline.
Old 27-08-2008, 06:48   #23
Resting in Peace

Both threads merged
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 18:10   #24

Nobody wants to post in it now
Old 27-08-2008, 18:14   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Sorry after re-reading my post at the top of the page, I can see how you got that impression Neil.
I think you were probably a little annoyed and fed up about your site when you posted it. I know it is not an easy job being a forum admin.
Old 27-08-2008, 18:24   #26

Actually it's been a weight of my shoulders Neil. I was just trying to explain to Cashman about how banning people wasn't an ideal solution even though it seems that simple
Old 27-08-2008, 19:08   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Actually it's been a weight of my shoulders Neil. I was just trying to explain to Cashman about how banning people wasn't an ideal solution even though it seems that simple
i know it aint ideal booth n you have my sympathy, but seems to me like the only way, when its as black a picture as you paint. (take note of the letters in my signature mate)
Old 27-08-2008, 19:11   #28

Haha, yes absolutely!
Old 27-08-2008, 19:12   #29

Just wanted to say thanks to Booth on here for running the blackburn 247 site for us.

I know that it wasn't easy.

But can we please stop the rowing on the thread? I'm sure that I am not the only one from Blackburn 247 who is very sad to see the site go like this.

I've shared memorabile moments from my life on the 247 site. I've made friends that I would not have otherwise made. I've laughed and I've cried.

How would you feel if accyweb was to go offline?

Sorry folks, just feeling a little upset at the moment.
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 19:41   #30
God Member

Quote:
Sorry after re-reading my post at the top of the page, I can see how you got that impression Neil. My point was that sometimes when you ban one member, they take other members with them who I would imagine don't return out of loyalty to their friend/relative. I suppose this is a symptom of it being a local site, as on an international site there's less likelihood of a member knowing the other members offline.
This is an international site.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..