Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2008, 13:31   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Blackburn 24/7?

I like the chat facility

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2008, 13:52   #62

That's the one thing that's more or less finished minus a few small things we'd like to add, so glad you like it.
Old 24-09-2008, 14:57   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
I like the chat facility
Thats only cos you chat to me
Old 24-09-2008, 16:05   #64
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Blackburn 24/7?

I’m not really into, what do they call it – social networking web sites – which is why I haven’t responded to the friends requests. It’s just not my scene. Sorry to those who saw me as a friend but as I was intending to delete my account I saw no point in responding

However with the good possibility of a forum I am looking forward to its resurrection.

I only hope that the moderators will actively moderate and not just sit back waiting for people to complain about a post.
Old 24-09-2008, 16:12   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I’m not really into, what do they call it – social networking web sites – which is why I haven’t responded to the friends requests. It’s just not my scene. Sorry to those who saw me as a friend but as I was intending to delete my account I saw no point in responding

However with the good possibility of a forum I am looking forward to its resurrection.

I only hope that the moderators will actively moderate and not just sit back waiting for people to complain about a post.
Jambutty..i know you expect mods to be all powerful,omnipotent beings but how do you expect them to read every single post that is made?
The mods do a great job and also have lives and jobs at the same time! They dont get paid for this, they do it for us. They cant spend all their time looking for threads that may offend people.....THATS WHAT THE REPORT BUTTON IS FOR!!!! So that the mods dont have to trawl throu (probably) 100's of posts every day..

Maybe all the mods would like to have a day off and leave the job to you and then maybe you will stop complaining that (in your opinion) they are not doing a good enough job

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 16:16   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Jambutty..i know you expect mods to be all powerful,omnipotent beings but how do you expect them to read every single post that is made?
The mods do a great job and also have lives and jobs at the same time! They dont get paid for this, they do it for us. They cant spend all their time looking for threads that may offend people.....THATS WHAT THE REPORT BUTTON IS FOR!!!! So that the mods dont have to trawl throu (probably) 100's of posts every day..

Maybe all the mods would like to have a day off and leave the job to you and then maybe you will stop complaining that (in your opinion) they are not doing a good enough job
Be careful what you say ema, you'll have Mick going on a three month holiday
Old 24-09-2008, 17:20   #67
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:

No emamum23, I expect mods to do their job and that is to moderate, not sit back and wait for complaints. Moderating means actively enforcing the forum rules without fear or favour not searching for posts that might offend someone. Most people accept the more common swear words as part of the normal vocabulary whereas some people might find them offensive. The rules state no swearing. It doesn’t mean that swearing will be allowed just as long it doesn’t offend someone and if it does the offended should report it.

So if that means reading every single post then so be it. But a mod of any experience in that forum will know who is likely to transgress and thus can safely target just those posts first.

Years ago the police actively enforced society’s laws by being on the streets and keeping law and order. Today they rely too much on complaints from the public and we moan about that and want them back on the streets.

The Report button is there to report a post that breaches the forum rules as an aid to the mods not as a replacement.

I am a mod of over five years experience on another forum and me and the other three mods manage to read every single post that is made without any problems. There is one mod in Canada, me in the UK, one in Thailand and one in Australia and there is always one of us on-line at all times. We don’t have any specific times to be on-line but in general we log in during our afternoons.
Old 24-09-2008, 17:44   #68
Resident Waffler

If you can manage to read all the posts on three forums then they must not be as busy as AccyWeb.

The mods here do all that is humanly possible and if you see a post which contravenes the rules but don't report it and then complain about the mods not doing their job then perhaps next time they do a 'patrol', as you insist they should, you might find yourself coming under the heading of one of the people who offends them.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 17:45   #69
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya I often don't vistit for a few days and it tells you how many post since your last visit, I think the Robot is the most active member seems its the only one posting

Oi! I waffle a bit there too. Sometimes I chat to the robot!

Old 24-09-2008, 18:11   #70
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
If you can manage to read all the posts on three forums then they must not be as busy as AccyWeb.

The mods here do all that is humanly possible and if you see a post which contravenes the rules but don't report it and then complain about the mods not doing their job then perhaps next time they do a 'patrol', as you insist they should, you might find yourself coming under the heading of one of the people who offends them.
Three forums?

What three forums?

I never stated three forums!

Ah! But that’s what happens when you rush in to stick your oar in. You don’t read what has actually been written and go off half cocked.

If I see a post that breaches the forum rules I report it. I don’t report posts that offend me unless the post also breaches the forum rules.

Those posts that I might find offensive get replied to in kind.
Old 24-09-2008, 18:34   #71
Resident Waffler

Ooops sorry, I forgot you were removed from one of them. I was sure you'd stated there that you were a mod on two others.

Old 24-09-2008, 18:46   #72
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

so what is accy web and blackburn247 there basicly a form of social networking sites just on a diff format really.
Old 24-09-2008, 18:46   #73

You do expect moderators to actively moderate, in that they look at what they can within their timeframe and check for reported posts, temporarily keep an eye on new members and watch out for anyone that may have caused a problem in the past.

But you can't expect voluntary moderators to have to read every single post. On a site like this it wouldn't be humanly possible with the amount of activity.

We all have the right to not read, comment or look at something which may not be for them. What's good for one isn't for another. I wouldn't like any forum to be over-censored, that's why every site like this allows people to block other users.
Old 25-09-2008, 09:12   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Oi! I waffle a bit there too. Sometimes I chat to the robot!
I'm beging to worry about you Willow, the flaming Robot doesn't reply, you end up talking to yourself
Old 25-09-2008, 13:21   #75
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Ooops sorry, I forgot you were removed from one of them. I was sure you'd stated there that you were a mod on two others.
Indeed I was but you don’t know the full story and I have no intention of going into it here. It is all water under the bridge.

Your “I was sure” turned out to be totally wrong.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..