Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2008, 17:43   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Blackburn 24/7?

Will have a look Michael
Old 23-09-2008, 13:54   #47

I signed up yesterday and I am looking forward to a Forum section starting up.Best wishes for the site Michael
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 17:33   #48
Resident Waffler

I must be a bit thick because I haven't quite worked out what that is all about yet. Is there going to be a discussion forum or anywhere to 'chat' to all the members eventually or are we limited to setting up our own groups if we want to do that? I miss having somewhere where I can drop in to find out what's going on in Blackburn, I mean things on a mundane level like Jambutty's rubbish bins.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 17:39   #49
Senior Member+

its a bit facebook like atm but i think booths gunna set up a discussion place for us, thought i'm not sure atm....so. long story short, i dunno willow.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 17:54   #50
God Member

If it stays like a facebook site, I won't be visiting
(I have signed up)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 19:43   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
its a bit facebook like atm but i think booths gunna set up a discussion place for us, thought i'm not sure atm....so. long story short, i dunno willow.
We are adding a discussion forum Emamum, we're waiting for it to be finished and then I'll put it online.

Please note, as it states on the front page, the site is currently in beta testing - which means it's still being worked on
Old 23-09-2008, 20:04   #52
Resident Waffler

If it gets a forum I will definitely pop back in for a chat about Blackburny things. Don't want to go to the bother of setting up a group of my own to invite people to, to ask them about the town, as anyone I know I would just ask them anyway and anyone I don't know then I wouldn't be able to invite them because I don't know them, if that makes sense. I'm just a bit of a numpty at the mo not really having sussed out what it actually is.

Old 23-09-2008, 20:09   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Don't want to go to the bother of setting up a group of my own to invite people to, to ask them about the town, as anyone I know I would just ask them anyway and anyone I don't know then I wouldn't be able to invite them because I don't know them, if that makes sense. I'm just a bit of a numpty at the mo not really having sussed out what it actually is.
There's already a group Willow, just click discuss at the top of the page It's as a stop gap till the forum arrives. Groups are really for niche subjects once the forum arrives. I was always getting asked to add new forums for niche interests, now users will be able to create their own and admin them themselves.

But soon, hopefully very soon, there will definitely be a forum. And the people who want a social network will get their wish, and the forum users will have theirs.
Old 23-09-2008, 21:02   #54
Resident Waffler

OK now you've confused me again! (It doesn't take much.) I thought you said I needed to start a group to discuss a different, Blackburn based, subject.

Old 23-09-2008, 22:17   #55

No groups are just groups. You can start one about anything you like. Say if you wanted to begin a fan club, or ran a rotary club - that's what they are for really. I was just trying to say that if there was a topic that you wanted to discuss in particular, to create a group rather than going off-topic in one of the current ones. It wasn't a big deal I was just trying to point you in the right direction

I've just reinstalled the group part of the site because there was a problem with it that was becoming more apparent. It's fixed now.

If you click 'discuss' at the top of the page you will see there's now a Blackburn category as I saw you wanted to discuss the town. Again this is just to keep us going until the forum gets added to the site.
Old 24-09-2008, 07:07   #56
Resident Waffler

At the time I couldn't actually see those, so when you said start a 'group' of your own it sounded like something totally seperate to the Blackburn 247 'group' I thought I was already a member of. Like the different groups on Facebook which you don't even know exist until somebody invited you to join one. Maybe it's the name 'group' which is confusing. Are they more like the different threads on a message board and actually within the group as a whole? I'm used to message forums in different formats but the structure of this new thing is just a bit puzzling.

Old 24-09-2008, 09:23   #57
Resting in Peace

I signed up last week, but have not used it yet, keep having a look, but will make my daily round up once the frum is up and running, must say don't like this Face Book or My Space type sites, thats why I stick to sites like ours and Burnley, Rossendale, Talk Britain ect
Old 24-09-2008, 09:55   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I signed up last week, but have not used it yet, keep having a look, but will make my daily round up once the frum is up and running, must say don't like this Face Book or My Space type sites, thats why I stick to sites like ours and Burnley, Rossendale, Talk Britain ect
I went on Burnley again recently for 1st time in ages - it is very quiet - no one posts much

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 11:04   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I went on Burnley again recently for 1st time in ages - it is very quiet - no one posts much
Ya I often don't vistit for a few days and it tells you how many post since your last visit, I think the Robot is the most active member seems its the only one posting
Old 24-09-2008, 11:31   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
At the time I couldn't actually see those, so when you said start a 'group' of your own it sounded like something totally seperate to the Blackburn 247 'group' I thought I was already a member of. Like the different groups on Facebook which you don't even know exist until somebody invited you to join one. Maybe it's the name 'group' which is confusing. Are they more like the different threads on a message board and actually within the group as a whole? I'm used to message forums in different formats but the structure of this new thing is just a bit puzzling.
Just think of groups like 'clubs'

Each group has it's own bulletin board, commenting system, members list and the creator of the group can post files, images, etc.

It's so that if someone wants to begin some niche subject and there isn't a forum for it, and it's deserving of more than just a thread (which info can easily get lost in), they are able to do so. At the moment because there isn't a forum we are just using a couple of the groups for discussion.

For example if someone wanted to create a group for Oasis fans they could.

The difference between our site and say Facebook, apart from its local flavor, is that ours will have a forum eventually. So those that prefer the social networking aspect can use that, and those that prefer a traditional forum can stick to that. There's some cool features to the new forum, but it's early days yet and it isn't ready to put on there.

What I do prefer about this new system is the privacy options that members are able to implement, and that's why it was introduced.

Last edited by booth76; 24-09-2008 at 11:33.
booth76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..