Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2008, 13:25   #76
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Blackburn 24/7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_eye_moody View Post
so what is accy web and blackburn247 there basicly a form of social networking sites just on a diff format really.
As I understand it, social networking sites like FaceBook and Blackburn 247 as it is now, are web sites where you invite other name individuals to participate in your part of it. Your bit isn’t open for anyone to drop in and have their say.

A forum like AccyWeb and Blackburn247 as it used to be, is open for any member to join in any thread of their choosing and to start their own threads where any other member can join in. Some forums even allow guests to post.
Old 25-09-2008, 13:33   #77
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Ooops sorry, I forgot you were removed from one of them. I was sure you'd stated there that you were a mod on two others.
Incidentally that forum that you refer to is now a bikers forum.
Old 25-09-2008, 13:37   #78
Senior Member+

Re: Blackburn 24/7?

Jambutty......there is a multiquote button at the bottom of peoples posts (looks like this "+" ) means you can put everything you want to say into 1 post and not 3

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 14:01   #79
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth76 View Post
You do expect moderators to actively moderate, in that they look at what they can within their timeframe and check for reported posts, temporarily keep an eye on new members and watch out for anyone that may have caused a problem in the past.

But you can't expect voluntary moderators to have to read every single post. On a site like this it wouldn't be humanly possible with the amount of activity.

We all have the right to not read, comment or look at something which may not be for them. What's good for one isn't for another. I wouldn't like any forum to be over-censored, that's why every site like this allows people to block other users.
I’m sorry booth76 but you can expect moderators to read every new post. Moderating means applying the forum rules to all and that means reading every post. It is the way to forestall any unacceptable posts and the backlash that they generate. If the workload is too much for one person then invite someone else to become a mod. I also take the view that moderators should be invited by the forum owner on say a 3 months trial rather than seeking volunteers.

A forum should also have a folder that is invisible to members where mods and admin can discus forum issues.

This right to read or not is all very well but until your read that offensive post you won’t know it is offensive. You cannot unread what you have read.

Blocking posts from a particular member is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and talking loudly so that you don’t hear what is being said to you. Not very adult!
Old 25-09-2008, 14:04   #80
Senior Member+

Aaaarghhhh!!!multiquote!!!!!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 25-09-2008, 18:09   #81
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
Jambutty......there is a multiquote button at the bottom of peoples posts (looks like this "+" ) means you can put everything you want to say into 1 post and not 3
There is?

Oh! Yes there it is! It is so small that I never noticed it before.

Much obliged for the pointer.

When I figure out how it works I might just start using it.
Old 25-09-2008, 18:13   #82
Senior Member+

yep...click on that on the posts you want to quote and it will change to "-" then go to post reply and all the selected posts will be quoted there for you.

Old 25-09-2008, 18:25   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I’m sorry booth76 but you can expect moderators to read every new post. Moderating means applying the forum rules to all and that means reading every post. It is the way to forestall any unacceptable posts and the backlash that they generate.

This right to read or not is all very well but until your read that offensive post you won’t know it is offensive. You cannot unread what you have read.

Blocking posts from a particular member is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and talking loudly so that you don’t hear what is being said to you. Not very adult!
I could reply at greater length, but instead I'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by booth76; 25-09-2008 at 18:29.
booth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 18:30   #84
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Indeed I was but you don’t know the full story and I have no intention of going into it here. It is all water under the bridge.

Your “I was sure” turned out to be totally wrong.
Well you see that just goes to show that I can admit it when I'm wrong. I was sure of something but it turned out that wasn't so.

Quote:
Incidentally that forum that you refer to is now a bikers forum.
Yes I know it is, but don't see the relevance of that. The original idea flopped so they changed it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 18:45   #85

Quote:
As I understand it, social networking sites like FaceBook and Blackburn 247 as it is now, are web sites where you invite other name individuals to participate in your part of it. Your bit isn’t open for anyone to drop in and have their say.

A forum like AccyWeb and Blackburn247 as it used to be, is open for any member to join in any thread of their choosing and to start their own threads where any other member can join in. Some forums even allow guests to post.

Missed this post. Just to reiterate, we're waiting for the forum software so on Blackburn247 there will be an open forum for all members to join in any thread. The site is still in beta, as it says on the home page.

I suspect by "
Your bit isn’t open for anyone to drop in and have their say." you mean profile pages, because that's the only thing that you can't comment on unless you are a member - or unless the member has set their albums/other content to be private. But again the forums will be open for all, as long as they are a member.

I think you miss the point of social networking though, as it's more than "
web sites where you invite other name individuals to participate in your part of it." but it's really something you have to discover yourself to appreciate it. It's not just a forum system where it's straightforward. It certainly can be if you want (in our case, at least eventually), but it can be more complex than that if you wish.
Old 25-09-2008, 19:00   #86

Couldn't add this to the end of my post so here's what I was going to add...

I think that now that a large amount of people are particularly fond of social networking sites, and there's still a large amount of people who like forum discussions that it's a good thing to have both as the more users the better for any network no matter whether the user is using one feature or another. A site with more regular users will obviously pay for itself and be more entertaining for the end user - and that's the goal as far as I'm concerned.
Old 15-12-2008, 16:24   #87

Well for those that wanted it, the site is now back in its original form. Please play nice Blackburn 247

Thanks for allowing this thread to remain on Accyweb.
Old 15-12-2008, 16:49   #88
Resting in Peace

Had a quick shufty ... very little different from ours really, same type of subjects and differences of opinion, apart from local issues.

Will lurk now and then though as interesting to compare our towns.

See you have a rant forum and allow asterisks ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 17:04   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

glad yer sorted n ok now booth.
Old 16-12-2008, 09:19   #90
Resting in Peace

I glad its back to its original format, was not keen on the face book style, and they also have a good Arcade as well, well done booth, just hope the carpers have learned a lesson and just let the forum run for the benefit of all

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..