Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2007, 19:53   #166
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Bolts of lightning expected Friday?

I wish today's memorial service would draw a line under the Diana mystique but I doubt it will. I am tired of hearing and reading about her death, with all the attendant theories, and even more tired of the continuing outpourings about her.

When she died I found the public reaction nauseating and not a little unhealthy. The loud proclamations of grief from people who didn't know her, except as a media image, were disturbing to say the least. It was very like the hysteria whipped up when some film stars have died. It's a sad occasion when any person dies and it's natural to cry for the loss of a friend or loved one but to grieve over a woman known only by her public persona is just idol worship. The "was she murdered?" aspect is very like the "is Elvis really dead?" one and it's constantly fuelled by the media because it sells newspapers.

I don't like Camilla but I don't like the disfunctional family she has married into either. However, whether she had attended today's service or not was their business and no one else's.
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2007, 20:01   #167
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I wish today's memorial service would draw a line under the Diana mystique but I doubt it will. I am tired of hearing and reading about her death, with all the attendant theories, and even more tired of the continuing outpourings about her.

When she died I found the public reaction nauseating and not a little unhealthy. The loud proclamations of grief from people who didn't know her, except as a media image, were disturbing to say the least. It was very like the hysteria whipped up when some film stars have died. It's a sad occasion when any person dies and it's natural to cry for the loss of a friend or loved one but to grieve over a woman known only by her public persona is just idol worship. The "was she murdered?" aspect is very like the "is Elvis really dead?" one and it's constantly fuelled by the media because it sells newspapers.

I don't like Camilla but I don't like the disfunctional family she has married into either. However, whether she had attended today's service or not was their business and no one else's.
I agree with every word you've said,Westender. I tried to give you karma for that but I have to spread it about.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 21:53   #168
Super Moderator

Totally agree, especially the part about the public reaction. Karma sent.
Old 31-08-2007, 22:07   #169
Member.

I found the service to be touching and genuine. I felt for the lads and their father and wished that this blot on our National Landscape would also end in line with the wishes of the Princes’ and that they, their father and the Nation should move on remembering the good and sincere deeds of Diana and putting behind us the negatives of her short time on this plane. Let her rest now and move forward.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 22:08   #170
Give, give, give member

It is strange all this fuss about the tenth anniversary of her sad demise, and these two very public events to commemorate it.

It's never happened for any other public figure. Churchill, Queen Victoria, no one.

Harry's speech today was good. The only thing I'd have added was that today's memorial be the day all this eulogising ends, and that she's finally allowed to rest in peace. Not much chance of that though, I fear.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 22:11   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It is strange all this fuss about the tenth anniversary of her sad demise, and these two very public events.

It's never happened for any other public figure. Churchill, Queen Victoria, no one.

Harry's speech today was good. The only thing I'd have added was that today's memorial be the day all this eulogising ends, and that she's finally allowed to rest in peace. Not much chance of that though, I fear.
Al Fayed is going to make sure of that, it was said today that he has a big legal team lined up for the inquest!!
Old 31-08-2007, 22:29   #172
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think its time to let it lie.
Old 31-08-2007, 22:43   #173
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Al Fayed is going to make sure of that, it was said today that he has a big legal team lined up for the inquest!!

He's a sad little man.

Never mind all his conspiracy theories, if he had employed competent security and drivers, Diana would still be alive today.

Old 31-08-2007, 23:06   #174
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Sir,

Karma in the Post...........

and bloody well said.
is it on a go slow?
Old 31-08-2007, 23:08   #175
Member.

Quote:
He's a sad little man.

Never mind all his conspiracy theories, if he had employed competent security and drivers, Diana would still be alive today.
Speculative in the least, after the emotion of Young Harry this afternoon and the clerics request for closure on the matter, a former close protection officer was spouting the same dribble within an hour of the service ending. Diana Princess of Wales chose to accept security from Al Fayed rather than the nominal security offered by the state as the mother of the future King of England. It was her choice to be with Dodi and she accepted the risks and unfortunately and with regret and she paid the price. If Dodi loved Diana in the way he professed to do so, would he have allowed a driver twice over the limit to take her and himself on the roads of Paris, some of the worst in the world. Maybe it was just an accident; maybe some of the darker elements of the state played some part, which ever it was she chose to be where she was and paid with her life. Don’t blame Al fayed, Charles, god are anyone else. Let it rest.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 31-08-2007, 23:10   #176
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
is it on a go slow?
I over used it that night.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 31-08-2007, 23:11   #177
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It was her choice to be with Dodi and she accepted the risks and unfortunately and with regret and she paid the price.
It wasn't her choice to lose the title Her Royal Higness, and the offical police security that afforded her.

Old 31-08-2007, 23:16   #178
Member.

Quote:
It wasn't her choice to lose the title Her Royal Higness, and the offical police security that afforded her.
No, she chose her course in life. don't blame others for that.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 31-08-2007, 23:21   #179
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Ya' gotta' laugh haven't you ... this thread had almost discussed itself out and laid to rest, then along comes someone who bumps up the thread again by complaining about people still wanting to remember Diana. Who's keeping it going I wonder ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 23:50   #180
Resident Waffler

Quote:

Totally agree with the last part of that. It was a private family service by the princes in remembrance of their mother. Who they invited or didn't invite was up to them not the general public.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..