Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 14:25   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Born again Virgins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
But then you could apply that logic to lots of medical treatments......from the setting of broken bones from an alcohol fuelled fight, to the liver transplant needed by an alcoholic....these are self inflicted injuries but the NHS doesn't charge for them.....or for the treatment given at family planning clinic/Gum clinics(GUM=Genito-Urinary Medicine...what was known as the clap clinic).....you start discriminating on what the NHS will fund and where do you draw the line? After all, even some cancers come down to lifestyle choices....smoking and Lung cancer.
Oh for heavens sake Margaret, this is nothing to do with a medical issue, its about racial bigotry by men who can do as they please, yet expect their women to be whiter than the driven snow. Don't get me started on Drunks in A & E, as far as I'm concerned they should have to pay for any treatment and ambulance trips (although the ambulance issue might already be so) Its there own stupid fault if the end up in cas. As for Drug addicts think its called cold Turkey
Old 07-08-2010, 14:27   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Are you telling me I may have been 'conned'?
Ya but not as you'd notice Gordon
Old 07-08-2010, 14:28   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh for heavens sake Margaret, this is nothing to do with a medical issue, its about racial bigotry by men who can do as they please, yet expect their women to be whiter than the driven snow. Don't get me started on Drunks in A & E, as far as I'm concerned they should have to pay for any treatment and ambulance trips (although the ambulance issue might already be so) Its there own stupid fault if the end up in cas. As for Drug addicts think its called cold Turkey

Out of interest, do you think smokers should also be refused help with quitting as well? I imagine that the cost of helping people to quit smoking is pretty steep too yet it is often overlooked.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 14:33   #34
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Out of interest, do you think smokers should also be refused help with quitting as well? I imagine that the cost of helping people to quit smoking is pretty steep too yet it is often overlooked.
Why smokers, they pay taxes on their baccy?

Drug addicts get better treatment and their stash is tax free!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 14:36   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I smoked 40 cigs a day, the first time a doctor warned me about smoking I gave up, no patches, just willpower, I have not had a cigarette since 26th Jan 1978 my GP said I should cut down and smoke a lower tar brand, but I gave up, full stop. When I was your age blazey it was seen as being cool to smoke, how times have changed
Old 07-08-2010, 14:36   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Tax doesn't always cover the cost of the problems they face though does it. Depends on how long they've been smoking.

And to be honest a lot of people round here buy their cigarettes and tobacco from people who have illegally brought it into the country contrary to border regulations anyway so not everyone pays their fair share of taxes on it.
Old 07-08-2010, 14:37   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:

valid point Less
Old 07-08-2010, 14:38   #38
God Member

Quote:
I smoked 40 cigs a day, the first time a doctor warned me about smoking I gave up, no patches, just willpower, I have not had a cigarette since 26th Jan 1978 my GP said I should cut down and smoke a lower tar brand, but I gave up, full stop. When I was your age blazey it was seen as being cool to smoke, how times have changed
Some people still do think it is cool to smoke. I have the occasional cigarette when I'm in the mood but generally I think it is a bad habit. I'd hate to be smoking like it was a necessary part of my daily routine.
Old 07-08-2010, 14:42   #39
Beacon of light

Quote:
But it is about medical issues, but medical issues that are affected by racial and cultural problems...the two cannot be divorced, well, not if you want a meaningful debate about the issues involved.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 14:43   #40
Beacon of light

Quote:

And you think that that tax on the tobacco goes to pay for treatment of all smoking related diseases Less?
Old 07-08-2010, 14:44   #41
Beacon of light

The tax taken from smokers goes to the same place that the tax goes from motorists who pay their road tax...and it isn't on the roads.
Old 07-08-2010, 14:47   #42

Quote:
The bottom line is this kikine, its a religious thing not a health problem, the NHS is far from swimming in money and when sick people are being denied drugs because of cost, procedures such as this should not be undertaken on the NHS
I agree it shouldn't be done on the NHS but can understand the need for these women to have it done. Before we know it we will be funding female circumcision which is still practised in many countries on young girls.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 14:47   #43
Senior Member+

Not only do smokers pay over £8billion tax per year as against drug addicts £0,they also tend to die younger,thus saving the state a fortune in healthcare,care homes,pensions etc.Also they then free up living accomodation,creating space so first time buyers can get on the ladder.With the problems we have with an ageing population,overcrowding etc. I think smoking should be made compulsory as a civic duty.And cigarettes issued free!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 14:48   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And you think that that tax on the tobacco goes to pay for treatment of all smoking related diseases Less?
See that's where I would've shot myself in the foot because my argument was based around paying for people to stop smoking, which I imagine costs a whole lot less than treating the illnesses caused by smoking.
Old 07-08-2010, 14:54   #45
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Not only do smokers pay over £8billion tax per year as against drug addicts £0,they also tend to die younger,thus saving the state a fortune in healthcare,care homes,pensions etc.Also they then free up living accomodation,creating space so first time buyers can get on the ladder.With the problems we have with an ageing population,overcrowding etc. I think smoking should be made compulsory as a civic duty.And cigarettes issued free!
I think that your reasoning is a bit flawed.
Smokers suffer from more heart related illnesses, cancer and chest problems, and mothers who smoke in pregnancy are likely to have underweight babies and premature delivery...so the cost of healthcare for these conditions would not be met entirely from the tax accrued....they may die earlier, but they may also have been on illness related benefits before their demise.

And yes it is cost effective to try to get smokers to stop, but it does deprive the exchequer from a lucrative pool of revenue.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..