Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2008, 16:55   #151
Full Member+

Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

He has prevented himself and his family a nightmare journey through the legal system.

I am still waiting to hear if I need to get to London early in the morning, for my new radio show on R2. They are leaving their reply a little bit late.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2008, 16:59   #152
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
He has prevented himself and his family a nightmare journey through the legal system.

I am still waiting to hear if I need to get to London early in the morning, for my new radio show on R2. They are leaving their reply a little bit late.
Well, that's a point ... wonder what will replace it ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 17:03   #153
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I cant believe this thread is still going...LOL
Old 31-10-2008, 17:28   #154
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

this whole episode raises to me a bigger issue, having just heard on the news, that Radio 1 - whose listeners consist of mainly younger people, who the news says support these 2, n think its a fuss about nowt. that says to me, they have no understanding of decent behaviour, morality,or whats acceptable, which is sad cos if they took the trouble to learn this, society would be a far better place.
Old 31-10-2008, 17:33   #155

Quote:
He has prevented himself and his family a nightmare journey through the legal system...
I heard that he was willing to let the matter drop as soon as Ross successfully issued the following apology:
Quote:
I rarely rile people but retarded Russell Brand and I are really remorseful for our rubbish, rotten, rude, randy remarks made on radio about Andrew's grandaughter. We truly regret any rage, ridicule, worry and embarrassment received by Andrew.
but it never came...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 17:48   #156
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
They were acting idiotically and were most certainly in the wrong. But the buck stops with the people who allowed the recording to be aired, not Brand and Ross. Sachs would not have suffered the public humiliation that he did if not for those that commissioned the programme.
Part of Jonathon Ross's very generous contract stipulates that he shouldn't bring the corporation into 'disrepute'. Something that has clearly happened.

Any normal employee, who made malicous telephone calls whilst at work, and who broke their contract so blatently, would have been fired straightaway, and rightly so.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 17:59   #157
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybrown_10 View Post
The whole affair has been blown WAY out of proportion purely down to the tabloids dictating to the public. I think two very talented comedians have been made scapegoats, as well as the radio 2 controller, because of something that originally created TWO complaints. The media then churned up a story and generated a further 18000 complaints. Shambolic. Everyone knows what Russell Brand is like, he's like Roy Chubby Brown in some respect, people know what they are like, if they are easily offended they stay away. Brand is no stranger to controversy, and I wasn't exactly shocked by what he had done, it's in his character. I think the tabloids were in the wrong in this saga, personally
Please feel free to post your grandparents telephone number in this thread.

I'm sure it could be arranged that some equally funny wag could call them with some sordid tales about you. It matters not a jot if they're true.

How we'll laugh, along with your eldely relatives, at this hamless lark.

Old 31-10-2008, 18:07   #158
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If this had been commercial radio they would have been sacked on the spot as the station would not want to upset it's advertisers. The BBC do not operate under such constraints.

James Whale was recently sacked by commercial radio station Talk Sport, for telling listeners in London to vote for Boris Johnson in the mayoral elections.

Even though he had by far the station's largest audience, he was dismissed the very next day.

Old 31-10-2008, 18:46   #159
Passed away 25-11-09

Some members will be too young to remember this. It ruined Bill Grundy's career, even though he didn't actually say anything untoward. He was said to have "encouraged" them to swear.

Old 31-10-2008, 19:03   #160
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I cant believe this thread is still going...LOL
That's because the media and BBC are still issuing statements, etc., Panther.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24   #161
God Member

apologies , I think I got cross wired and posted this inthe wrong thread earlier and got timed out and was unable to edit .

OK here in the US I get on BBCAmerica the Graham Norton show , not too bad, a bit 'silly' in parts but tolerable, and the locals like him , never seen this Ross/Woss person On BBCAmerica , obviously the BBC don't think he is worth exporting , so why is he being paid so much...... do the Aussies/ Kiwis /Canucks and Boers like him so much
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 14:35   #162
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Some members will be too young to remember this. It ruined Bill Grundy's career, even though he didn't actually say anything untoward. He was said to have "encouraged" them to swear.

I remember it,changed my youth.Brilliant.But you've got to remember Grundy egged The Pistols on..."go on,say something outrageous....".Nobody egged on Ross & Brand,only their own egos.Shows how much iv'e changed since 76/77.I suppose all the youth who are backing the two radio buffoons are a 2008 version of my younger self.
Old 01-11-2008, 16:23   #163
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Brand/ross 'prank'

The Brand and Ross cheerleaders are doing their best to distract the public from the real issue and muddying the waters by introducing the granddaughter details.

The real issue is that Brand and Ross made lewd, disgusting, obscene and slanderous phone calls to Andrew Sachs.

Ross should fall on his sword and if he doesn’t then the DG should stab him in the back.

Ross OUT!
Old 01-11-2008, 22:29   #164

one point im suprised nobody has mention is that malicious/prank phone calls are illegal how is fonejacker allowed to be aired? To be honest i think it has been blown out of proportion but what brand and ross did was wrong. i did used to like ross but now i have lost all respect for him, brand is just an OTT twit with an IQ lower than his morals. but the fact that only two complaints where made at the time shows that it wasnt that big an issue until the media jumped on it, as usual they mould the story to sell papers.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 22:39   #165
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
one point im suprised nobody has mention is that malicious/prank phone calls are illegal how is fonejacker allowed to be aired? To be honest i think it has been blown out of proportion but what brand and ross did was wrong. i did used to like ross but now i have lost all respect for him, brand is just an OTT twit with an IQ lower than his morals. but the fact that only two complaints where made at the time shows that it wasnt that big an issue until the media jumped on it, as usual they mould the story to sell papers.

Perhaps no one complained because very few people actually listen to Russel Brand's show. When it was put forward for general consumption people were appalled at the contents, and the target, of the messages. Anger and disgust isn't diminished just because it's retrospective.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..