Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2007, 15:34   #31
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Cards and Decorations

I agree with Gayle about when decorations should go up. I would prefer the few I have to go up on Christmas Eve. As it is, we don't put up anything to do with Christmas in the house until after my daughter's birthday, December 10th. Anyone born in December will know how their birthday can be swamped by the festive season.
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2007, 18:28   #32
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have a dilemma this year.......

I didn't put the tree up last year because we were away and I need a new tree because my old one was donkeys years old and had lost several branches. I would like to get a new one and I tend to put it up on about 20th Dec but........... Sparks reckons that we really don't need one, won't be in to appreciate it, have no room for one without moving furniture etc..

I have to say that although I can see his point, I do think that a few deccys brighted up the house.

I am therefore undecided about getting a new tree and it will probably be an impulse buy on Xmas Eve.

As for cards...... we don't bother at work and tend to give to the Hospice instead but I always send to family and friends, especially those who live abroad.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 19:25   #33
God Member

Come on Lettie you will be coming home and it will feel weird if you don't have a tree. When it gets to the middle of December you can get a really nice one in the sales!!
Old 20-11-2007, 19:28   #34
mez
God Member

I will be putting my christmas tree up beginning of december as usual, my

garland on the mantelplace my father chrsitmases on the hearth, & my

christmas cards all around me plus my lights in the window & my crib on the

sideboard, christmas do i like it .....i suppose so
Old 20-11-2007, 19:59   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
and there still at it, they killed the jocks on sat.
Yup, and the jews crucified the Russians ... lucky for England

And I will be doing the cards and the tree. I like the idea of sitting down with a bottle of rum and a litre of eggnog and filling out my cards with personal messages and greetings, written with a real fountain pen ... remember those, remember pens of any kind? ... I think it is much more personal than sending a dancing banana in a Santa suit. Of course, the last cards I write tend to be a little incoherent, but what the hell. Bring on another bottle of Pusser's. I go out with a few friends and a chainsaw to cut down our trees. (We still have a few left in Canada.) One of us will be designated driver and the rest of us (it was my turn to be DD two years ago) will drink to excess and play with the chain saw ... adds a little exitement to the day, but no guns allowed. Maybe you guys over there can take your chain saws up the Coppice and clean up those evergreens that you find offensive
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 20:27   #36
Beacon of light

I don't think I will put the tree up this year......didn't do it last year, but that was because my living room ceiling fell in...we had to move into our front room and there wasn't room to f....break wind.
This year we had rellies over from Oz which meant a major flit round in the back bedroom which is used as my computer room. Imoved the computer desk up against the cupboard that houses the tree and decs...and to be honest, I can't be faffed to shift everything round to get into the cupboard.

As for cards, I send far fewer than i used to do...as a result I receive fewer too....less to fall down, less to put away...less for the children to cut up after Christmas.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 21:29   #37
God Member

Oh, and I also put lights on the maple tree in front of my house. Lots of folks over here do that. And the city utility workers put lights on the trees in City Park in front of the old Frontenac County courthouse. Many decorate the outsides of their homes ... using environmentally friendly lights of course ... and people drive and walk around the city just to look at all the colors and the occasional creativity. The Wolfe Islander ferry is all decorated, with lights and a big ho ho hat on the mast, and even the city buses and many of the taxis have christmas ribbons on them.
Old 20-11-2007, 21:31   #38
God Member

Sounds like you need to come over here and show this miserable lot how it should be done Eric
Old 20-11-2007, 21:34   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
shame its been a while, the spanish celebrate it proper.
sorry dont undestand
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 21:37   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Sounds like you need to come over here and show this miserable lot how it should be done Eric
I'll bring the chain saw (try explaining that one at Heathrow) and you guys supply the booze.

It might have something to do with the weather ... it isn't really Christmas without the snow and the (very) crisp weather. When we cut our trees a few years back, we had to use snowshoes to get close to the good ones.
Old 20-11-2007, 21:43   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'll bring the chain saw (try explaining that one at Heathrow) and you guys supply the booze.

It might have something to do with the weather ... it isn't really Christmas without the snow and the (very) crisp weather. When we cut our trees a few years back, we had to use snowshoes to get close to the good ones.
You can keep the snow until I can hibernate Think we can find some booze for you
Old 20-11-2007, 22:16   #42
God Member

Quote:
You can keep the snow until I can hibernate Think we can find some booze for you
Wimp Snow is fun. You can't make snow angels in the mud.
Old 20-11-2007, 22:18   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Wimp Snow is fun. You can't make snow angels in the mud.
Not in my book it ain't
Old 20-11-2007, 22:26   #44
Resident Waffler

I love to see a nicely decorated house at Christmas and we always put decorations up. I have a love-hate relationship with Christmas trees though and the cats usually pull it over anyway. I don't like the decorations to go up too early and they definitely come down on 12th night.

I really must get writing some cards.

The person who used to do the nicest decorations and really make Christmas exciting and wonderful has gone and moved abroad and it will seem very strange this year without her.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 00:53   #45
God Member

Quote:
Not in my book it ain't
Skiing, boarding, X country, snow shoeing, snowmobiling and winter camping, ice fishing! Winter, I love it .... bring it on

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..