Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2007, 21:58   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Cards and Decorations

My elder daughter says she won't be sending Christmas cards this year and doesn't want to receive any. I see where she's coming from though, sometimes, it's the only contact with people you rarely see and I always add a note with mine when I send them.

I got to thinking about decorations. I put up a Christmas tree only because my granddaughter lives here, otherwise I wouldn't. Apart from that I lay a few sprigs of holly on the mantlepiece and put a couple of the nicest cards there too; the rest go into a large basket on top of a bookcase and, frankly, it wouldn't worry me if I didn't get any.

I'm not anti-Christmas but I like it to last for no more than a week (all decorations come down by Jan 2nd). To me it's all about having my family around me and keeping in touch with old friends. The decorations are just a nod towards festive tradition. How about you?
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2007, 22:12   #2

Re: Cards and Decorations

I'll dig the tree out as per on the 1st of December, it will be down come 2nd of January tho, it's boring by then and i want the house back to normal. Neighbours on the street have a little competition to see who can dress their front window best, it's all tongue in cheek and must admit I like to join in. I hate writing the cards out...always seem to get one on the 23rd from someone I missed off my list

All in all I like the season, It's not just for the kids. Must admit, i still do our house up for the daughter, she's 22 now Maybe I do it for myself in reality.

I'm glad when it's over though.........Roll on Summer
Old 19-11-2007, 22:12   #3
God Member

I stopped sending cards in 1964 and stopped trimming up a few years ago.
- all that humbug suits some but I think it is a waste of money and effort
It doesn't stop me enjoying the Yule festival which is about eating and supping

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 22:19   #4
God Member

well i wont be going overboard at all this year all my lot have grown up and one isnt even in the country . However i will put a tree up and one or two decs for the grandchild but ive always done xmas for the young uns . ..

will still try and make it a pleasant one just wont be going to extremes as in past yrs
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 22:23   #5
God Member

I like my tree and a few decorations nothing over the top but still like to trim up. I must say I do like my cards especially my family ones but cards are just something I love.
Old 19-11-2007, 22:24   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

dont mind xmas, its all the hype that sucks, we just been discussing wether or not to bother trimming up this year- the jurys still out, i only send cards to kids, distant relatives, plus whoever sends em me lol, paris sends many more than me, probably cos more people like her.
Old 19-11-2007, 22:34   #7
God Member

Well apart from family and friends who don't live close by I am not sending cards this year, instead I am donating to a cancer charity that helping with the treatment of my friends daughter!!

So any of you accywebbers who have now become friends in the real wide world... please note that you will not be getting a card this year

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 22:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I stopped sending cards in 1964 and stopped trimming up a few years ago.
- all that humbug suits some but I think it is a waste of money and effort
It doesn't stop me enjoying the Yule festival which is about eating and supping
Another nail hit squarely on the head
Old 19-11-2007, 22:45   #9
white rabbits

We realy are losing the xmas spirit... maybe its because the hype starts in sep/oct,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 19-11-2007, 22:48   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
We realy are losing the xmas spirit... maybe its because the hype starts in sep/oct,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
know what ya mean granny, but dont think people are losing the xmas spirit, just wising up a bit, we always have a ball.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:41   #11
God Member

was in the local Post Office the other day and the clerk asked if I wanted any "Holiday" stamps ....said yes ,I'll take a roll of 'baby Jesus' stamps , then she asked me if I didn't want some Hannukah stamps , she seemed a bit confused when I said I didn't think so since they were the ones who killed baby Jesus
guess i wasn't feeling very ecumenical on that day
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 23:42   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
was in the local Post Office the other day and the clerk asked if I wanted any "Holiday" stamps ....said yes ,I'll take a roll of 'baby Jesus' stamps , then she asked me if I didn't want some Hannukah stamps , she seemed a bit confused when I said I didn't think so since they were the ones who killed baby Jesus
guess i wasn't feeling very ecumenical on that day
yer being unfair there mate, they let him grow up a bit first.
Old 19-11-2007, 23:46   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Well apart from family and friends who don't live close by I am not sending cards this year, instead I am donating to a cancer charity that helping with the treatment of my friends daughter!!

So any of you accywebbers who have now become friends in the real wide world... please note that you will not be getting a card this year
That's one less to post.

I'm in the middle of doing my cards, which I'll have to post this week, and it's a real main, mainly because I now struggle writing. So the people I don't see very often are getting an unsigned card, a printed note about what I've been up to this year, and best wishes.

I agree with Lesley. No cards for me please. I like the usual thread we have on here, sending season's greeting to all our Accy Web chums, and not just those we happen to see at the meets.

Plus, it's greener.

Last edited by garinda; 19-11-2007 at 23:49.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 23:48   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's one less to post.

I agree with Leslie. No cards for me please. I like the usual thread we have on here, sending season's greeting to all our Accy Web chums, and not just those we happen to see at the meets.

Plus, it's greener.
You don't need to post it anyway, can pick it up

Oh yeah and if you don't know by now it's lesley not leslie, you never will dearest gary!!!!!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 23:48   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's one less to post.

I'm in the middle of doing my cards, which I'll have to post this week, and it's a real main, mainly because I now struggle writing. So the people I don't see very often are getting an unsigned card, a printed note about what I've been up to this year, and best wishes.

I agree with Leslie. No cards for me please. I like the usual thread we have on here, sending season's greeting to all our Accy Web chums, and not just those we happen to see at the meets.

Plus, it's greener.
good thats one less.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..