Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 08:39   #1
God Member

Checking deliveries

Had fun last night and thought you might all like to comment

We have been ordering from Tesco online for > 3 years with no issue, it works well and I seem to spend less than if we go to teh shop as well

Anyway, whenever deliveries come I always take them into the kitchen and check it off against the list to make sure everything is there and nowt is damaged. no problems up till last night when the delivery bloke goes off on one for me having the audacity to check it. " I don't have time to wait while you check it, I only have 7 minutes you know!". I replied that I check anything I have delivered and its never been a problem before. Its not my problem that his bosses impose those timescales and he should take it up with them. I was gobsmacked as to how he was talking to me in my own kitchen! I tell him to wait outside whilst I continue to check it. In all it took less than 5 mins. I take outside 2 tins that were badly dented and he tells me to sign there. grabs the paper, jumps in and storms off!!!

so I ring up and complain. I get a call back from the home delivery supervisor at Haslingden store who tells me whilst he shouldn't have said it the way he did what he says is right and that I shouldn't check it whilst he is there. I shold just unload it, sign for it and then let him go. then I should check it and ring them if there is any losses/damage etc.

Now this isn't clear on any emails or the website that this is the 'procedure' but how would you feel about just signing for stuff unchecked?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2008, 08:46   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Checking deliveries

I thought when you signed for something your saying its in good order.
if they want you to sign then i would add "un checked" to the sig
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:55   #3
Senior Member+

I would sign it unchecked if it was me, purely because with my two kids it takes about 1/2 hour to sort and put my shopping away but he should not speak to you like that. There are ways of talking to people and showing a bit of respect. Afterall, it is you and others like you that are keeping him in a job. IF he had a problem he should have just advised you to sign it unchecked rather than going off on one at you. Ive never used home delivery but if the drivers are like that I doubt that I ever would
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:59   #4
God Member

its teh first time in over 3 years so its definately a one off. normally I have a laugh with them (especially teh bloke who ALWAYS goes to the wrong house ) I just find it strange that people will sign for something that they haven't checked. Perhaps it becuase my first job I used to sign for deliveries worth > £50K but I just wouldn't even think of putting my name to something without proper checks.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:00   #5
God Member

Having read about the problems of another member on here with Tesco drivers maybe there was a faulty batch of staff training
Old 08-04-2008, 09:11   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Having read about the problems of another member on here with Tesco drivers maybe there was a faulty batch of staff training
Yes, hope she will come on and tell this story as she did on another site .. was absolutely disgusting.

At least you would know was nothing personal Entwisi.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12   #7
Senior Member+

I've never ordered from a supermarket online, and doubt I ever would (wouldn't be much point as I already work in one!) But any other packages I get ie: Amazon, Play etc... I've never checked once. I just grab the parcel and sign for it. I've never had any problems. You must have been well within your rights to check your delivery. Have you checked the Tesco website there must be a Home Delveries Policy.

Tell you what though I'm glad that we don't have the hassle of the home deliveries at our store! For the reason that its the person instore who gets the hassle when some numpty delivery driver hasn't done their job properly.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12   #8
God Member

I wouldn't sign for something without checking it either
When you sign for it, you are saying it has arrived in good order
The bloke has told you to let him go after signing for it, so that when you come to ring up cos something is wrong they can laugh at you cos you signed for it!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, hope she will come on and tell this story as she did on another site .. was absolutely disgusting.

At least you would know was nothing personal Entwisi.

May even be the same driver which would make it even more disgraceful that Tesco let him roam round in their van
Old 08-04-2008, 09:23   #10
God Member

I have his name and I don't take it persoanlly, I've been insulted by bigger and better people and thats just on Accyweb!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:00   #11
God Member

I have had regular Tesco deliveries for 7 years and never had any issues with the drivers.(never had a bad one yet!)

I dont expect them to deliver into my kitchen, even though they always offer to - the front hall is far enough for me.

I never unpack and check before they leave except for the spirits wine and cigarettes.(which I make a point of looking out for as I empty their delivery boxes into my hallway).

I find that Tesco rarely have a missing item (unlike Asda ) and when it has happened, one phone call and the value has been refunded without question

I once reported 2 small items missing - got a refund - then found them amongst my recycling box in my hall (where I had accidentaly put them).
When I phoned to apologise, they were amused. I told them to debit the amount back again - but they never did.

The 'missing item report' system works well, and the honesty of the customer is always assumed - unless it is blatently abused.

Therefore there is no need to delay the driver by doing an unpacking check.

I think that you may well have gained the reputation for being an awkward customer Ian

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01   #12

I have signed for lots of stuff before without checking the contents of the package. Sometime signing for stuff that is for a neighbour. I was under the impression that you were signing to confirm delivery, not the condition of the contents.

Never had groceries delivered before but I have to say that I would be inclined to want to check the delivery, seems like common sense to me.

You did right to complain and make the delivery man wait outside entwisi. Not sure I would have kept so composed.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42   #13
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

I always sign unchecked, but maybe that is because I used to take deliveries for different departments where I worked
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49   #14
God Member

We have the shopping delivered, it is easier, cheaper and time saving, I never check the bags untill later, and on the rare occasion something is not correct, it is always sorted out, I do understand though that, if it is in your nature, or indeed your job, then you are more likely to check on the spot, the driver probably could have explained his situation a little better than he did, and in a better manner, but I would sympathise with his issues around time allocated to deliveries, he can complain all he wants about his conditions of work, but unless, as a customer, YOU complain about the fact he didnt have time to wait, nothing will change, customer complaints make change, not employee complaints.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:24   #15
Senior Member+

I dont normally check them but on the last occasion that I did it was because the driver had said there substitutions on some fresh pizzas- I hadn't ordered any pizzas.... it was someone elses delivery !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..