Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 23:07   #1
Senior Member+

Conservative candidates promises anger residents

I was contacted tonight by very concerned residents in my area who have met with Karen Buckley, Conservative PPC for Hyndburn earlier in the evening. I believed Karen was a decent person. However it seems Mrs Buckley is prepared to make several empty promises in return for votes.

Mrs Buckley's Promise No.1
If elected as MP she will do up the roads in Accrington South.
FACT
Roads are resurfaced by Lancashire County Council and an MP has little or no say. Each area's roads are done through consultation with the County Councillor for the area and engineers. I am the County Councillor for Accrington South and it is my responsibility to decide with engineers.

Mrs Buckley's Promise No.2
If elected as MP she has said she will re-open the Islamic teaching centre at 37a Beech Street
FACT
This centre was closed because it breached planning conditions which are dealt with by the Planning Committee at Hyndburn Borough Council. As MP, Karen has no say over planning matters which are legal and not arbitrary anyway. It was turned down unanimously, cross party by the committee. It shows again a complete lack of understanding of local government or local feelings as fellow Conservative, Councillor Paul Barton, led the 2 year campaign to close it and will not be pleased his own Party is promising to re-open it in his ward.

Mrs Buckley's Promise No.3
If elected as MP she will get housing grants for people in Barnfield on the Sandy Lane side.
FACT
Regeneration decisions are made by the District Council and not by an MP. Mrs Buckley would have no say. Further, this area is not even in the Council's 7 years plans (which is Woodnook/Peel) and no-one has supported it as a regeneration area. A Conservative Government has said it would cut it regeneration monies anyway to Hyndburn Council so should Mrs Buckley win, she would have an adverse effect on funding. She has clearly not read her manifesto and as someone who has said she supports cuts, her position is contradictory. The only grant scheme on the Sandy Lane side is my own Home Front (Lottery) scheme for doors, windows, gutters which residents are aware of.

Mrs Buckley's Promise No.4
If elected as MP she get a community centre at Peel House
FACT
As County Councillor and Ward Councillor I have taken the lead role in dealing with Peel House. The PCT have stated they want to use it as PCT offices and have refused to sell it the Council (bought with ELEVATE money) for the time being despite The Council on my behalf making enquiries. Elevate money appears to be drying up and as above, the Conservative manifesto on housing has said it would effectively cut funding to northern housing schemes. Mrs Buckley's win would there make it almost certain she could not deliver her promise.

Again regeneration is a Council matter and not a matter that an MP can decide so her influence would be minimal. Being in the heart of Peel Ward it would have been helpful if Mrs Buckley had explained her proposals to others in the area as resident (and ironically me as Councillor) involvement will be paramount.

For a politician to have so little understanding, to jump in two footed with undeliverable promises is very poor indeed. Karen lost a safe Conservative County Council seat last year and I can see people here getting very upset with her too.

Last edited by g jones; 03-05-2010 at 23:16.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2010, 23:23   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Conservative candidates promises anger residents

Doubt if its little understanding, more like Down right Lying to me.
Old 04-05-2010, 00:09   #3
God Member

if only she had been a local lass she may have known more about local issues lol

looks like her advisors have been spoon fed some bullcrap facts its as though local tories who resent her standing for the area have sabotaged her by feeding her supporters toal crap lol

surely you cant accidently get things sooo wrong lol

now jaysay have you been advising this poor lass lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 04-05-2010 at 00:12.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:12   #4
Resting in Peace

Think it must be evens Graham, I've read your 8 page diatribe of a news letter
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02   #5
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Doubt if its little understanding, more like Down right Lying to me.
It's no different at local level either. The Conservative leaflet (which I believe is a generic grit bin-hugging photo opportunity for all ward candidates rather than individually tailored) is riddled with promises that they won't be able to deliver on, plus the rather spurious lie that it was the government that caused the grit shortage last year.

If that is true then why were we borrowing grit from other councils that had stocked up to capacity well in advance? Hyndburn Council were advised of that scenario as early as August and could have prevented much of the chaos over Christmas by spending the comparatively measly amount on getting us up to capacity.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think it must be evens Graham, I've read your 8 page diatribe of a news letter
Is that the newsletter that uses the "I" word in every other sentence.
Must admit I read it and thought it was a disgraceful piece of bull from front to back.

Last edited by Neil; 04-05-2010 at 13:10.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:45   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Is that the newsletter that uses the "I" word in every other sentence.
Must admit I read it and thought it was a disgraceful piece of bull from front to back.
That's the one anzac, 8 pages of it, Graham, I have a Dream, Jones, the great white hope, savior of the universe before breakfast, founder member of narcissists are us
Old 04-05-2010, 17:05   #8
Beacon of light

I don't get it.......what else do you expect?
The leaflets provided by Graham Jones(and others) are to promote himself and the party....to maximise his chance of being elected.......do you think he would be doing himself any favours if he didn't 'big' himeslf up.
If he doesn't put forward the idea that he is up to the job, then he isn't going to instil any confidence in his electorate.

You don't catch any fish if you don't put a worm on the end of the hook.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 17:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't get it.......what else do you expect?
The leaflets provided by Graham Jones(and others) are to promote himself and the party....to maximise his chance of being elected.......do you think he would be doing himself any favours if he didn't 'big' himeslf up.
If he doesn't put forward the idea that he is up to the job, then he isn't going to instil any confidence in his electorate.

You don't catch any fish if you don't put a worm on the end of the hook.
The leaflet was nothing to do with the general election it was his newsletter. He has already been elected to do the job so why not just get on with it instead of the usual "What lies the Tories are telling about me " garbage that it is full of
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 18:04   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
The leaflet was nothing to do with the general election it was his newsletter. He has already been elected to do the job so why not just get on with it instead of the usual "What lies the Tories are telling about me " garbage that it is full of
Dont get that? would be garbage if it was untrue, do ya know if Fact Or Fiction? if not then you must be talking garbage.
Old 04-05-2010, 18:19   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I find that Graham is extremely good at local levels and I think I am going to switch my allegiance to Labour this time out, however, being an MP is not about local levels .. national levels, and this worries me a little that he will not be able to zip his mouth occasionally and think with his heart not his brain. Still feel though he has a leaning to the country and not just to the 'I' so I expect to put a cross against his name on Thursday.

As to Anzac's statement "What the Tories are telling about me" .. did you see the letter in the Observer from Karen Buckley as to 'What the Labourites are saying about us' ? Accusing Labour propaganda that if they vote Conservative their lives will be put at risk by cancer sufferers, due to the fact that Labour will cut NHS spending and cancer drugs will be hard to come by. Think her time would have been better spent using the 'I' and promoting herself.

Well, I suspect anyway that cuts will be made in the largest public spending section even if the 'Cons' get in. They are not going to say at this stage though are they, in case they lose a few votes.

Tit for tat eh ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 19:21   #12
God Member

lmao at a tory having the audacity to slate labour about the NHS they realy have got a nerve considering it was teh torys that nearly ended our nhs system.Labour have improved the NHS 100x and more since getting into power.Its not perfect now but i gurentee you that if teh torys had stayed in power we woudlnt have a NHS system today.

i forgert the name of the high ranking tory involved but towards teh end of their last reign of terror my friend raised money and bought a baby incubator for queens park hospital as a thankyou for teh work they did caring for his very premature son.Upon revisiting the ward he was given back his plaque that was attatched to the incubator he bought the hospital because a tory from down south sent orders for it to be removed and sent to her local hospital and wasnt happy with having any old baby incubator she wanted the brand new one so teh plaque was removed and the incubator sent down south.

thats torys for you and thats why they will never get my vote they dont give a crap about teh north and never will infact cameron is on record as saying it is a terrible place so how anyone can vote for this moron who lives up north is beyond me

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 23:14   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Accusing Labour propaganda that if they vote Conservative cancer sufferers lives will be put at risk, due to the fact that Conservatives will cut NHS spending and cancer drugs will be hard to come by.
Sorry, got that a bit wrong, amendment as above...

Last edited by katex; 04-05-2010 at 23:17.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 23:32   #14
God Member

The tories will cut or abolish working tax credit within 2 years and they do not deny it.. this is one of the prime objectives if they are to secure the spending cuts they talk about.. I've never been a fan of tax credits but I now realise they are the main stay to make working families better off rather than on benifits.. the tories and the liberals will destroy this bacis relief for families.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 00:18   #15
God Member

I know my son was shown this, he will be voting for the first time and is proud of the fact too

but he was wetting himself laughing at it

(sorry had to remove link due to the language - shame as I was enjoying it )

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!

Last edited by Neil; 06-05-2010 at 08:31. Reason: remove link due to the language
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..