Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 11:49   #16
God Member

Re: David Davis wins by-election

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I and many others on here have more important things to worry about, lets be honest it is not going to affect us adversely if a suspected terrorist is held for longer!!! What the people elected to represent us should be doing is trying to stem the ever increasing cost of basic every day things before we find it impossible to live to any sort of decent standard. They should not be forcing by-elections that cost money that just isn't there!!! If he was so dissillusioned why did he not just quit politics altogether???
His campaign aimed to scrap things that would save us BILLIONS. It won't affect you adversely until you or a family member is locked up for 1000 hours and life wrecked if they are innocent.

Quote:
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:58   #17
God Member

Might be better off looking at ways of cutting the cost of things that affect us on a day to day basis. Fuel is rising which is pushing the cost of more or less every other commodity through the roof!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:11   #18
God Member

Quote:
Might be better off looking at ways of cutting the cost of things that affect us on a day to day basis. Fuel is rising which is pushing the cost of more or less every other commodity through the roof!!!!
Indeed! Brown should stop wasting money on invading our privacy and civil liberties, instead he should reduce the huge amount of tax they're making on petrol which is really hurting people.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:28   #19
Super Moderator

Cyfr, as I'm sure you know, the poem you quoted was written about the Nazis incarcerating people in the death camps because of their beliefs. Hardly comparable with a law which will require suspected terrorists to spend an extra 14 days in a British prison.

I have a very low opinion of this present government, but even I wouldn't compare them to the Nazis in pre-war Germany!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:29   #20
Senior Member+

In my opinion David Davis stood up for something he believed in(which I thought thats part of being in politics)wether I agree with his motive or not is of no concern.And as for as it being called a sham its not his fault the Labour Party decided not to field a candidate,so cant understand the wingeing.And for the record I would have said the same if it had been a Labour MP that had done it and the Tories had refused to field a candidate.I thought the job of being an MP involved standing up for what you and your voters believe in.Well thats just my view on the situation.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35   #21
God Member

Was there any real need to resign??? He could just as easily let his views be known and not have forced a by-election at such a great cost.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
In my opinion David Davis stood up for something he believed in(which I thought thats part of being in politics)wether I agree with his motive or not is of no concern.And as for as it being called a sham its not his fault the Labour Party decided not to field a candidate,so cant understand the wingeing.And for the record I would have said the same if it had been a Labour MP that had done it and the Tories had refused to field a candidate.I thought the job of being an MP involved standing up for what you and your voters believe in.Well thats just my view on the situation.

He stood up for what he believed in when he voted against the 42-day rule in Parliament. Imagine what would happen if every MP stood down everytime something was passed through Parliament that they didn't agree with, thus forcing a bye-election? And it's a sham because there was absolutely no need for it and it has changed nothing.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
He stood up for what he believed in when he voted against the 42-day rule in Parliament. Imagine what would happen if every MP stood down everytime something was passed through Parliament that they didn't agree with, thus forcing a bye-election? And it's a sham because there was absolutely no need for it and it has changed nothing.
Yes I understand but in this instance it wasnt just 'The Rule' was it ? But the way it was passed.With all the alleged wheelings and dealings.There was more to it and I think he felt something wasnt right so he did what he did because of his feelings and what he believed in,and still got voted in.Like I said wasn't his fault there was no proper opposition to come up against,that 's all down to the labour party and like I said if it had been roles reversed I would have had the same views.
Old 11-07-2008, 13:06   #24
Super Moderator

Deals and trade-offs to get bills through are a fact of life in Parliament - on all sides. Also, as I understand it, Davis had stated his intentions to stand down if the bill went through, beforehand, so it wasn't a protest about the way it was passed.

Once again, I would say, there was absolutely no need for this farcical bye-election and it has changed absolutely nothing - apart from landing us, the taxpayers, with a needless bill.
Old 11-07-2008, 13:08   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cyfr, as I'm sure you know, the poem you quoted was written about the Nazis incarcerating people in the death camps because of their beliefs. Hardly comparable with a law which will require suspected terrorists to spend an extra 14 days in a British prison.

I have a very low opinion of this present government, but even I wouldn't compare them to the Nazis in pre-war Germany!
but then you can see both sides of the coin, never met ya n ya were wearing blinkers. i aint even gonna discuss this with him.
Old 11-07-2008, 15:59   #26
God Member

Davis had an ego boost with this!!!! Nowt has change and all he did was show he and his blue pals are twallies.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 21:47   #27
God Member

[quote andrewb] It won't affect you adversely until you or a family member is locked up for 1000 hours and life wrecked if they are innocent.[/quote] Am pretty sure that it won't adversely effect me at all then!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 22:06   #28
God Member

Quote:
[quote andrewb] It won't affect you adversely until you or a family member is locked up for 1000 hours and life wrecked if they are innocent.
Am pretty sure that it won't adversely effect me at all then!!![/quote]

Half the people locked up without charge are innocent, so.. it could well be you, me, or any other innocent. Personally I dont think thats right.
Old 11-07-2008, 22:07   #29
Resting in Peace

Did they ever decide who came second Andrew ? (were doing a recount last time I heard) .. out of the 25/26 other unknowns.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 22:23   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Did they ever decide who came second Andrew ? (were doing a recount last time I heard) .. out of the 25/26 other unknowns.
Greens came second even after the recount, though only around 7% of the vote. 23/26 lost their deposit.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..