Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 13:40   #46
God Member

Re: David Davis wins by-election

wonder how many postal votes he got
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2008, 14:33   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
wonder how many postal votes he got
Don't know but Graham Jones will find out for you if you ask him nicely
Old 12-07-2008, 20:18   #48
Super Moderator

Cyfr, you must be mad, quite literally mad, if you think that the public at large is concerned about whether or not the detention period is 42 days. David Davis was voted in because many voters would vote for a monkey if it was wearing the correct rosette. Also, the only opposition was minority parties and the great British public doesn't vote for minority parties (and I say this as a paid-up member of one of those minority parties!).

In fact, I would say that although the Tories voted against the 42 detention period in Parliament, the majority of Conservative supporters on the ground would be all for it. Perhaps we could have the opinion of Conservative supporters on here...Jaysay?
Old 12-07-2008, 20:34   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
If we hadn't sold the companies to share holders, which anybody could become, our economy would have collapsed like it was already on the verge of.
You know I admire your political fire mate, but this is something I don't get about you:
In [most] other threads you denounce any link between your modern-Conservative fellowship and the actions/views of Thatcher-era Conservative government.
Yet you use the term 'we' in the quoted passage as if you are in full support of Conservative decisions from way back when.
Which one is it? Tory for life (and before your lifetime) regardless, or Tory because you think the party is right for today's world?
Can't be both mate, interests conflict.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 20:41   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Cyfr, you must be mad, quite literally mad, if you think that the public at large is concerned about whether or not the detention period is 42 days. David Davis was voted in because many voters would vote for a monkey if it was wearing the correct rosette. Also, the only opposition was minority parties and the great British public doesn't vote for minority parties (and I say this as a paid-up member of one of those minority parties!).

In fact, I would say that although the Tories voted against the 42 detention period in Parliament, the majority of Conservative supporters on the ground would be all for it. Perhaps we could have the opinion of Conservative supporters on here...Jaysay?
People do care about 42 days, and civil liberties as a whole (Davis didn't just fight this on 42 days). People from yorkshire are pretty direct, if they say they'll vote for Davis because of the issue, generally they will be telling the truth not fibbing. I think people are being a bit silly if they think speaking to people in the street means nothing because I'm not looking over their shoulder. Recent polls for Crewe and Nantwich and London Mayoral elections turned out to be deadly accurate too. I somehow doubt all the people that told me they were lib dems or labour actually just said it as part of some kind of big conspiracy. I'm sure canvassers from all the parties will tell you they're normally quite accurate, or they wouldn't bother using canvassing information for poll day!

If it was because there were only small parties turnout would have been much lower, because Conservatives, Lib Dems and Labour alike would have just not gone out to vote.

1,300 Conservative party members were polled:
The Conservatives should repeal 42 days pre-charge detention when/ if we come into Government.
Agree: 87%
Disagree: 8%
Old 12-07-2008, 20:43   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
You know I admire your political fire mate, but this is something I don't get about you:
In [most] other threads you denounce any link between your modern-Conservative fellowship and the actions/views of Thatcher-era Conservative government.
Yet you use the term 'we' in the quoted passage as if you are in full support of Conservative decisions from way back when.
Which one is it? Tory for life (and before your lifetime) regardless, or Tory because you think the party is right for today's world?
Can't be both mate, interests conflict.
The current Labour and Conservative parties support privatisation don't they?
Old 12-07-2008, 20:46   #52
God Member

Quote:
The current Labour and Conservative parties support privatisation don't they?
You used the term 'we' for Thatcher's Conservative government. Modern party views are irrelevant therefore.

Do you support the shoddy handling of privatisation by past Conservative governments and the mess we are left with now (especially with transport and energy companies) just because privatisation was necessary?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 20:50   #53
Super Moderator

OK, then, Cyfr, if you think people are so concerned about the issue, put it to the test - run one of your polls on here.

Incidentally, I see that none of your fellow-Tories have come on here to support you yet...still, I suppose it's early days.
Old 12-07-2008, 20:54   #54
God Member

Quote:

1,300 Conservative party members were polled:
The Conservatives should repeal 42 days pre-charge detention when/ if we come into Government.
Agree: 87%
Disagree: 8%
You forgot to mention the other issues the jam sellng Tory grass roots would like;

repeal the minimum wage
repeal the Social Charter
abolish tax credits
repeal health and safety laws
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 21:01   #55
God Member

Quote:
People do care about 42 days, and civil liberties as a whole (Davis didn't just fight this on 42 days).
I thought the whole point of this fiasco was the he WAS just fighting it on 42 days!!!!!

What else was he fighting it on?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 21:05   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
You used the term 'we' for Thatcher's Conservative government. Modern party views are irrelevant therefore.

Do you support the shoddy handling of privatisation by past Conservative governments and the mess we are left with now (especially with transport and energy companies) just because privatisation was necessary?
I used the term we as in the country, because government does things on our behalf.

I think we're left in a mess with rail yes. Until an alternative I like is proposed, I don't support privatisation of the rail network.

As far as energy companies are concerned, prices are rising all over the world, not just in the UK. You have to ask yourself what government can do to help the consumer though, for example with petrol I think government should lower the tax it takes as the price rises, so that the consumer is less hurt by the rises.

Souldnt this be in 'Ask a Tory'?
Old 12-07-2008, 21:07   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I thought the whole point of this fiasco was the he WAS just fighting it on 42 days!!!!!

What else was he fighting it on?
If you watch his resignation speech, as of course you don't live in Haltemprice and Howden so won't have got all the literature, he mentions numerous things. Some issues include ID cards, DNA database for innocents, people abusing CCTV, councils terrorist-like snooping for petty things, 266 powers to enter somebodys home..
Old 12-07-2008, 21:09   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
OK, then, Cyfr, if you think people are so concerned about the issue, put it to the test - run one of your polls on here.

Incidentally, I see that none of your fellow-Tories have come on here to support you yet...still, I suppose it's early days.
we will don't worry...just taking a backseat at the moment.
Watching Labour go further down the pan.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 22:33   #59
God Member

A question: where do the tories stand on the NHS? Are there any moves to privatise health care along the American lines?

My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that there is nothing wrong with a mixed economy: some things privately owned, others public. Power and rail transport, and in the cities, public transit seem to fit well as public concerns, under govt. ownership.

But you guys can no doubt deal with the jerks you have in power, we Canadians can deal with our own ... the tories here are taking a beating over Afghanistan esp in Quebec, unfortunatly it took heavy casualties among the Vandoos (Royal 22nd) to accomplish their slide in popularity in la belle province.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 22:35   #60
God Member

Something else just crossed my tiny mind: In Canada we have several Crown Corporations, the Canadian Wheat Board for eg, which are sort of half way between public and private ownership ... is there anything like this in England?

Sorry for the wander on a serious topic, but it is not worth a thread of its own.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..