Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 10:17   #1
God Member

David Davis wins by-election

Higher than expected turnout at 35%, not bad to say Labour refused to stand against him.

Before Davis stood down 69% of people backed 42 days, now just 36% back it. Not everyone's mind is changed, but an awful lot have been.

Of course it is not just about 42 days. Its about the ever eroding liberty and intrusion of privacy by the state, that threatens our fundamental British freedoms. From councils spying on children, to expensive databases about us that make nobody more secure.

Labour, Liberal Democrat, Conservative, people from all parties came together to support this cause.

A message has been sent to Gordon Brown; it has to stop.

Last edited by andrewb; 11-07-2008 at 10:26.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2008, 10:21   #2
God Member

Re: David Davis wins by-election

Victorious yet again
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:43   #3
God Member

Yo you 2 when are you getting wed? Will Cammy be best man and the wedding at Tory HQ? Dosnt matter what happens over the 42 days just lets have a nice big ex army base we can lock up scum forget they are there and throw the key away. Personally I would shoot em and save us tax payers a fortune. If the families want to sue then tough they shouldnt have raised these people!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:49   #4
Super Moderator

An outstanding example of self-indulgent posturing. It may have escaped your notice in your ivory towers, but the vast majority of British people are far more concerned about their rising food, gas, electric, petrol bills and job security, rather than whether or not suspected terrorists are detained for an extra 14 days. If David Davis is so "principled" perhaps he would care to pick up the bill for this totally unnecessary bye-election (estimated at somewhere between £80,000-£200,000) rather than leaving the already hard-pressed taxpayer to cough up for it.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:55   #5
God Member

This was a joke from day one. I'm just pleased to see that so many voters declined from taking part in the fiasco!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:59   #6
God Member

Cost of Government bribe to UDP: £200,000,000
Cost of ID cards that won't make us safer: £20,000,000,000
Cost of keeping innocent people on the DNA database: £1,000,000 a year

Rachel North a 7/7 survivor said liberty is just as important as life and we should not be letting the terrorists win by taking our own freedoms.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:13   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
And has any of that changed since Davis's little exercise in self-indulgent ego-tripping? Of course not! A totally pointless gesture!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:17   #8
God Member

Quote:

Get a grip where is the proof???

Does a passport make us any safer when they are easy to forge??

At least they can be eliminated from the suspicion of crime faster than those innocent sods on it without disruption to their lives!

Rachel North a 7/7 survivor said liberty is just as important as life and we should not be letting the terrorists win by taking our own freedoms.

Freedom is what you make it. Its not just the terrorists that are causing paranoia is it.

Take off the blinkers and look all around the world is not the fairy land you want it to be and never will be!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:23   #9
God Member

Will somebody explain to me why did he stand down just to put himself forward again??? I am not thick and know he was against the forty two days thing but why stand as a representative again??
Old 11-07-2008, 11:27   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Will somebody explain to me why did he stand down just to put himself forward again??? I am not thick and know he was against the forty two days thing but why stand as a representative again??

Easy answer, a big ego
Old 11-07-2008, 11:27   #11
God Member

To bring our decline of civil liberties to the agenda. Now there is a mandate for freedom.

You might disagree with the election, but do you not agree with the cause?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:30   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Now there is a mandate for freedom.
One thing I will say, Cyfr, you seem to have a bright future ahead of you as a politician...you've got the meaningless twaddle they come out with off to a T!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:33   #13
God Member

Quote:
To bring our decline of civil liberties to the agenda. Now there is a mandate for freedom.

You might disagree with the election, but do you not agree with the cause?
Why couldn't it be done at the next general election ? If the government put 42 days in the next government can throw it out. The voters still have a say and the money could have gone to better causes. I presume DD has receipts for his expenses during canvassing
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37   #14
God Member

I and many others on here have more important things to worry about, lets be honest it is not going to affect us adversely if a suspected terrorist is held for longer!!! What the people elected to represent us should be doing is trying to stem the ever increasing cost of basic every day things before we find it impossible to live to any sort of decent standard. They should not be forcing by-elections that cost money that just isn't there!!! If he was so dissillusioned why did he not just quit politics altogether???
Old 11-07-2008, 11:43   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Why couldn't it be done at the next general election ? If the government put 42 days in the next government can throw it out. The voters still have a say and the money could have gone to better causes. I presume DD has receipts for his expenses during canvassing
The general election will be about things more important in the short term to people, some of which Wynonie has mentioned. I think the reason he resigned is because he was appalled at the way the Government won the vote over 42 days, it broke the camels back. They bribed Labour MP's, and opposition MP's to get the vote through. A letter from the Labour Chief Whip to the labour chairman of the home affairs select committe thanked him for his help and said "I trust that it will be appropriately rewarded!"

A by election allowed the debate to be about a single issue. One that I feel particularly strongly about, hence why I got involved.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..