Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2018, 09:38   #16
God Member

Re: Did anyone EVER give you 10 thousand pounds?

need more affordable rented accomodation for people. buying a house is not for everyone even if they can afford it. a drain on all your finances and the only way you ever make money and that means cash in your hand is to buy a small one maybe in a cheaper area. not many would really fancy this as you,ve burnt your boats then. at least with rented houses you get your repairs done which for someone like me is the biggest bonus i could ever imagine.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-05-2018, 09:52   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

As fer getting yer Repairs done, many round my way have been asking for such things for years, complete waste of time and energy, if yeh got a bad owner, i'm certainly glad we own ours.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:54   #18
Beacon of light

This is (like many other government interventions) ill considered, badly thought out and a completely useless action.
It does nothing to heal what is seen as a generational rift.
This generational rift that is talked of is a hyped up thing...it leaves those youngsters feeling like they should be having something done for them...but gives no motivation for these youngsters to plan strategies for their future.

It does not let them see the hardships that older generations faced...or look at how these generations overcame them.

It was no easy task to buy your first house for the people of MY generation....wages were low, interest rates were high....the only thing back then was you could get a 95 or even a 100% mortgage....but you had to make sacrifices to pay this off.

This plan to take from pensioners (on fixed budgets)to give to fit and able bodied young people(whose potential to earn is still there) will create a simmering resentment.

I am sure that many grandparents, and parents still support their adult children in some way or another.
Housing them and charging them little or no rent.

This think tank has spit for brains(and that is the polite term)
KiTChener likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:59   #19
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
need more affordable rented accomodation for people. buying a house is not for everyone even if they can afford it. a drain on all your finances and the only way you ever make money and that means cash in your hand is to buy a small one maybe in a cheaper area. not many would really fancy this as you,ve burnt your boats then. at least with rented houses you get your repairs done which for someone like me is the biggest bonus i could ever imagine.
I would never rent...it is dead money...going to furnish someone else's lifestyle.
I would rather buy something lowly...a terraced home, do it up to my taste and standards....there is something very satisfying in doing that and knowing that it is the fruit of your own efforts.
This gives you a foot on the ladder....and it is then up to you how far up the ladder you go...but it takes work, determination, a bit of vision and sacrifices.
Nights in instead of nights out...home cooked instead of take always, staycations rather than vacations.
KiTChener and hilleluk like this.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:40   #20
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1213319]I would never rent...it is dead money...going to furnish someone else's lifestyle.
I would rather buy something lowly...a terraced home, do it up to my taste and standards....there is something very satisfying in doing that and knowing that it is the fruit of your own efforts.
This gives you a foot on the ladder....and it is then up to you how far up the ladder you go...but it takes work, determination, a bit of vision and sacrifices

only when you have actually paid for your property is when you are not in debt for it. many now still have a mortgage after pension age and i,m sure it will get worse on this front. been a buyer and a renter in my life and never regretted being a renter. as for doing a property up yourself again this aint for everyone. i need a workshop manual to change a lightbulb and even then i,ll break the first one installing it. all home ownership did for me was a visit to the divorce court as working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day just for bricks and morter were just not for me.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42   #21

Good old values Margaret and yardstick.

Turn the clock back many years when we had nothing I made quite a bit of furniture myself also carrying wood up a hill as zero transport after visits to DIY learning on the job as it were. Looking back at those achievements with very few tools and the owd photo album of memories the struggle was worth it really. Probably my fondest memory would be the kids toy box and folding door TV unit back then. Appy days but I was young fit and well then..

Home ownership is not for everyone particularly if you have poor heath making looking after it hard going so renting with a good landlord is often a welcome alternative perhaps.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:51   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPastry View Post
Good old values Margaret and yardstick.

Turn the clock back many years when we had nothing I made quite a bit of furniture myself also carrying wood up a hill as zero transport after visits to DIY learning on the job as it were. Looking back at those achievements with very few tools and the owd photo album of memories the struggle was worth it really. Probably my fondest memory would be the kids toy box and folding door TV unit back then. Appy days but I was young fit and well then..

Home ownership is not for everyone particularly if you have poor heath making looking after it hard going so renting with a good landlord is often a welcome alternative perhaps.
think your last sentance sums the whole issue up. wish i could have done things like you did when you were young but my woodworking exploits at school are still remembered today with more than a little laughter.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:52   #23
Beacon of light

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1213323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would never rent...it is dead money...going to furnish someone else's lifestyle.
This gives you a foot on the ladder....and it is then up to you how far up the ladder you go...but it takes work, determination, a bit of vision and sacrifices

only when you have actually paid for your property is when you are not in debt for it. many now still have a mortgage after pension age and i,m sure it will get worse on this front. been a buyer and a renter in my life and never regretted being a renter. as for doing a property up yourself again this aint for everyone. i need a workshop manual to change a lightbulb and even then i,ll break the first one installing it. all home ownership did for me was a visit to the divorce court as working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day just for bricks and morter were just not for me.
Of course owning is not for everyone.
If you have a job which means you can be sent to anywhere in the country, then it only makes sense to rent....but I stand by what I said.
As for being unable to cope with DIY....there has never been a better time to learn, or more ways to educate yourself.
I am not a spring chicken(though I like to think I am) and four years ago we had major work done on our house.
It was left looking like a cave.
I varnished all the wood floors with little help other than looking at a video on YouTube....but the DESIRE to do it has to be there.
I saved myself £600....and with that money I was able to enlist the services of a young man to paint and decorate...putting bread on his family table.
Every time I vacuum or clean the floor I look at it with pride and think to myself 'I did that'.
Landlords have a hold over you...they can chose what they do...and when....and you can have been a good tenant, but if they want you out....then out you go.
If you overstretch yourself then of course it is a struggle, but a good partnership will survive a struggle
hilleluk likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:14   #24

Mr Monkey. Your talking of the hours you worked reminded me of our scenario in the 80's. Other half worked nights I did days, we were like pies that passed in the night for a good few years not ideal by any means and housing then was just a bigger issue.

Moving to sunny Accrington we got a semi derelict house to do up together fitting our own windows doors etc etc only thing I got someone in for was plumbing, oh and a little help from our friends God bless them. This home is our final one but its not that that's priceless its the being together doing it, the stupid things that happened and my legendary floor board party's complete with bags of sand and cement to sit on ready for the next job. Good times really and it would have never crossed our minds we were struggling back then. Sorry about my nostalgia trip..

We have a few friends who have sold up the bricks and moved into new or second owner statics being smaller to maintain. They have a good social life and being older that can only be a good thing as so many see so few people these days. Not sure a static would appeal to a younger generation tho.

E suns out again!
hilleluk likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 13:02   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Hey up and just another thing, is this a one off plan or does everyone that turns 25 get this so called bonus?
It would hardly be fair to award such a bump up to just one year. 25 should be the new 21 coming of age, congrats to you all here's a bit of bunce whether you deserve it or not, indeed whether you need it or not!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 15:38   #26
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1213326][QUOTE=monkey hanger;1213323]

As for being unable to cope with DIY....there has never been a better time to learn, or more ways to educate yourself.

i learned very quickly to leave diy well alone. too many messed up paint jobs and holes in the wall where you could put an atlantic liner just to put a mirror up. i know my capabilities and i,ll stick to driving and car repairs.
Old 10-05-2018, 16:06   #27
Beacon of light

It is good to recognise your limitations.
My father was like that....so Ma did the DIY and he did the sewing jobs....and he was good at them.
I am not sure what my limitations are....I will tackle most things(once I have done a bit of preliminary research, that is)....and I see mistakes as a learning curve.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51   #28
God Member

[QUOTE=MrPastry;1213328]

We have a few friends who have sold up the bricks and moved into new or second owner statics being smaller to maintain. They have a good social life and being older that can only be a good thing as so many see so few people these days. Not sure a static would appeal to a younger generation tho.

problem with statics are that they depreciate quicker than the citroen xm did. new about 70 grand with about 15 years life at most parks. lodges are about 130 but with a longer lifespan. something to be looked at for retired couples but for youngsters its really a keep away from area.
Old 13-05-2018, 21:32   #29

If someone anyone in fact gave me £10,000 at the age of 25 and had I not already succumbed to the power of the one ring, I would spend it on bad horses and even badder women. The rest I would squander foolishly.
However I fear if this was implemented then some people would actually do that. In Australia they government gives every first time house buyer 10,000 Australian Dollars towards their first house but it is only a one off payment and they don't actually get the money in their hand. That may be a better option.
Old 14-05-2018, 04:08   #30
Senior Member+

Interesting thought provoker Margaret, £10,000 to someone of our era, 60s and 70s, would have been a life changer, in todays world it would be a couple of holidays or a new car. What a waste of money that would be when there are so many other things crying out for support from the government, talk about being out of touch.
Just a side note, it took me ages to do a £ on this Canadian keyboard.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..