Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2007, 18:30   #1
Resident Waffler

Fat person's grumble about shops which supposedly sell clothes for fat people

Right. I'm a large, overweight, on the big side, plump, podgy, rotund or whatever you want to call me, fat person.

In spite of that my size tends to vary a bit (or sometimes more than a bit) what with my water retention problem and the never ending battle to try to lose weight, which may at last have spotted a faint light at the end of a very long tunnel but that's another story. So my waist measurement is not a static one.

I like to wear clothes. It beats being starkers, especially when starkers and my size is not a pretty sight. So when I need to buy something new what do I do? Do I head for New Look or Dorothy Perkins? Well, no, not unless I'm accompanied by one of my daughters who is expecting me to buy something for her I don't. I make a bee-line for Evans. You know - the shop which caters for the larger sized female.

Humph! is my reaction to the current offerings.

Humph! I say again.

Why do I say humph you may ask yourself.

Well, I could have done with something like a pair of stretchy jeans with an elasticated waist for mucking about in when up at t'caravan. I've had them before from Evans and currently have a very comfy pair but sadly they are wearing out and I could do with some more. Do they have any? Do they billy thump! They have fitted jeans in rigid sizes which are either too tight and I feel like I'm cutting my circulation off or so loose around the waist that one step forward and they fall down round my ankles! "What happened to the ones with little elasticated sides?" I ask the waif like sales assistant. "Not fashionable." is her response. Fashionable? Fashionable? When you're my size you don't look for fashionable you look for wearable!

OK, so moving on I abandon those and settle for combats with a tie string waist, at least those will stop up. Now, how about a t-shirt or two or a nice tunic top - something which comes down over the hips and covers all the unsightly bulges created by tieing up my middle like a sack of spuds? Nope, they are all short, not only short in the body but very short in the arm. Now us fatties do not tend to have pretty upper arms. Believe me you really don't want to see my upper arms flapping about when I wave to someone. You would much rather have them discretely covered to just above the elbow. Lower arms, well they look more or less human but the upper arms are best kept well out of sight. So why oh why don't they have longer length sleeves instead of these things that barely cap the shoulder? You guessed it - FASHION!

So, what have they got in a longer length top? Well they've got this latest trendy fashionable design which is a larger sized version of the ones my 16 year old skinny daughter looks terrific in - draped over a bosom the size of mine the thing balloons out and I look about 8 months pregnant!!!

Who designed this latest range I ask myself? Do they actually manage to sell many? What happened to the stuff that actually looks good on fat people?

Ah! I geddit. It's all a cunning plan. Now I can no longer buy decent clothes at Evans I'm going to have to lose weight!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2007, 18:40   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Fat person's grumble about shops which supposedly sell clothes for fat people

Willow, I am overweight too...or maybe I'm not really overweight, but just short for my weight (which, I have to say i don't know...because I NEVER step on the scales these days) I too, have tried to get some jeans.....I bought some elastic waisted ones at TJ Hughes......let me see, it must be almost 5 years ago.....they have gone very faded and look shabby now.
So off i go in search of something wearable........all the trousers, jeans, cut off seem to be low rise.......now a fat belly and low rise do not go well together. I quite like my flab to be covered.......so T shirts are too short, low rise pants combined with short T shirt......erm a bare middle on a 60 year old.....not really the fashion(or comfort) statement that you want to make is it????????
As for those 60's print smocks...well,yes I was pregnant in the 60's and wore something like those....I really don't want to go there again.
So I'm with you Willow....whinging!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 18:53   #3
God Member

Re: Fat person's grumble about shops which supposedly sell clothes for fat people

willa, matalan do some nice clothes for us larger lasses, dorothy perkins also do bigger sizes too, i was in there the other day buying some tops (£3 each in the sale) peacocks do some nice larger stuff aswell, unfortunately we bigger women have to shop around, and since i love shopping i enjoy myself finding clothes
Old 25-07-2007, 18:57   #4

Its not just u girlies u know, its same 4 us blokes 2.
Trousers n shirts have always been a problem but lookily there is that large mens clothes shop in rishton.
Asda have a good range 4 t-shirts up 2 xxxl n pretty cheep 2.
Ive been told ebay is good 4 larger clothes.
markuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 19:07   #5
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
all the trousers, jeans, cut off seem to be low rise.......now a fat belly and low rise do not go well together. I quite like my flab to be covered.......so T shirts are too short, low rise pants combined with short T shirt......erm a bare middle on a 60 year old.....not really the fashion(or comfort) statement that you want to make is it????????
Precisely! Does it not occur to them that larger sizes equals bigger tum and bum equals needing a bit more coverage if you please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
willa, matalan do some nice clothes for us larger lasses, dorothy perkins also do bigger sizes too, i was in there the other day buying some tops (Ł3 each in the sale) peacocks do some nice larger stuff aswell, unfortunately we bigger women have to shop around, and since i love shopping i enjoy myself finding clothes
There's large and there's Willow sized I don't think any of those cater for me. But I live in hope that I'll get there one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuze View Post
Its not just u girlies u know, its same 4 us blokes 2.
Trousers n shirts have always been a problem but lookily there is that large mens clothes shop in rishton.
Asda have a good range 4 t-shirts up 2 xxxl n pretty cheep 2.
Ive been told ebay is good 4 larger clothes.
I'd hate to have to resort to eBay and somebody's mangy cast offs. I think you men have a bit more chance with that place at Rishton. Dunno if Asda do Willow sized in female. Might try having a look but I somehow doubt it.

Old 25-07-2007, 19:55   #6
Beacon of light

I know my daughter got some nice things in New Look at Manchester, but it is a right hike to have to go there....wouldn't you think some enterprising manufacturer would come up with some fashionable stuff that doesn't look like a boy scouts cast offs.

I think it is an age thing too.....I have found it incredibly difficult to lose weight as I have got older.....and i know why....we lose lean muscle....and that is the only thing that burns calories.....so diet alone certainly does not work....and also as i have got older I have found that joints are pretty unforgiving of anything but the most gentle of exercise.....I think that swimming is about the best to keep the pressure off the joints.
Old 25-07-2007, 20:18   #7
Resting in peace

I'm a bit fat willow but us men 'well not me', usually wait till Christmas or Birthdays before I decide what new stuff I require. Tin pot guaranteed :- underpants, socks (that don't fit), hankerchiefs now I ask you? what man worth his salt uses 'hankies' when you have the sleeve.
Seriously I do feel for you and anyone with a weight problem, my ex used to go to a shop in Blackburn, she called it "the fat shop", all I know was that it was bloody expensive, as I had the privelege of paying her 'clobber' bills. Best of luck with the diet. Ian.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 20:19   #8
God Member

I am size 16/18 but a few years ago I did reach 20 for a few years, so I know the problems you face.
Ebay was mentioned earlier in this thread. I have had a few BRAND NEW WITH TAGS bargains -so there is no harm done having a look there. I got a 3 piece lined, tailored suit with tags on and pockets still stiched for £15 incl postage.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 20:27   #9
Resident Waffler

I think that "fat shop in Blackburn" is probably Evans!

I'm going away on Saturday for several weeks so will have to give eBay a miss until I get back - by which time I hope to be a slightly smaller Willow!

Old 25-07-2007, 20:30   #10
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I think that "fat shop in Blackburn" is probably Evans!

I'm going away on Saturday for several weeks so will have to give eBay a miss until I get back - by which time I hope to be a slightly smaller Willow!
Aye that's it willow, make sure you have Busmans chip and pin, they weigh you for stuff there.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 20:32   #11
Beacon of light

Well, Willow, when you do come back smaller....you'd better be prepared to share your diet secrets with a few of us.
Old 25-07-2007, 21:31   #12
Accy Goddess

just to ad to the moans. Try being small and pot bellied like me. All pants seem to be made for giants. It's OK when your small and thin, you can go for the children's section.
Shopping for clothes is a bloom-in nightare.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 21:33   #13
Resident Waffler

I'm only 5ft 2 so I know all about being a little squirt! Isn't it frustrating not to be able to get things off high shelves?

Yes they do seem to assume that larger people = taller people.

Old 25-07-2007, 23:05   #14
Give, give, give member

I think this is an age thing, more than a size issue Willow.

When you start searching for jeans with elasticated waists, the next step will be ordering snuggly, velcro fastening shoes 'which are as comfortable as slippers', which are advertised in the back of the Sunday papers.

Jeans were never designed to feel comfortable, just hard wearing, and I think your choice of combat trousers is a good one.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 23:15   #15
Give, give, give member

Have you not got access to a sewing machine?

You could run a kaftan top up, similar to this, for a couple of quid, quite easily. No pattern cutting required, if you made it in a T-shaped kimono style. You could decide on the length of sleeves/body, and could make it in a fantastic fabric of your choice.

If my sewing in a straight line was still an option, I'd have happily made one for you in no time.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..