Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 16:17   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Fracking Blackpool

I don't know enough about it, but some years ago there was a new road proposed, running from the M55 at Kirkham to Fleetwood and passing through Singleton. A local councillor raised an objection 'because of the Singleton fault'. We laughed about it, but it turns out there is such a fault. To what extent it has affected or been affected by fracking I know not. Certainly there is enormous potential for non-imported gas supplies in the seams known as Bowland Shale. Our local councillors are keeping an eye on the company's activities, which are far more welcome than the illegal Travellers' camp close by.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2011, 16:19   #47
God Member

Bob - look back one post - you may have missed it whilst posting

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 17:28   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Bob - for info about Singleton drilling -
Shale Gas

scroll down to
Experiences in the Fylde
I note from the Green's submission to parliament that their first cross reference is to this entity in the USA:

www.delawareriverwatcher.org

Unfortunately, neither this organisation nor its website exists. The group they intended to reference is this one:

http://www.delawareriverkeeper.org

If these fools in the Green Party cannot even get this simple fact right, then I doubt if there is anything else right. Perhaps they and the bunch of crackpots who follow them should concern themselves with the real desecration of the environment, namely the totally unnecessary, obscenely expensive and grossly obtrusive wind turbines which are ruining our landscape.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 18:55   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Bob - look back one post - you may have missed it whilst posting
I had read it and thought it interesting, though written from the perspective of one who is already fixed against the work and in favour of windfarms, which I have severe doubts about. Tidal power is what we need to be seeing more of. I think the exploratory work should still go on until such time as it is proven to be a bad thing - we haven't reached that yet, and the benefits are certainly there.
Old 10-02-2012, 19:56   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Best Explanation of Fracking Ever This explains it.
Old 10-02-2012, 20:50   #51
I am Banned

What puzzles me about this fracking, & causing earth tremors thro subsidence when they are driling down 1000's of feet, what about all the 100's of miles of disused tunnels, created by coal mining, we never hear of them being blamed for causing earth tremors.
There are earth tremors happening all the time.
Who's pulling who's chain.
Retlaw.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 08:55   #52
God Member

Government backtracks on fracking - Green Living - Environment - The Independent

"The Government has rejected shale gas technology as a solution to Britain's energy crisis, conceding it will do little to cut bills or keep the lights on."

Experts have decided that the volume of gas available isn't worth the expense of extracting it.

Old 29-05-2012, 11:25   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobbiner17 View Post
Don't know if you already have seen this but Pendle Hill is also in danger of being wrecked.
Write to Prince Charles and protest! He was talking on TV at a meeting (I forget the name now) and talking about change - he was babbling on about if every body rolls their sleeves up and complains about things to do with environmental destruction then we can save the planet! Oh yeh he was talking about green farming and keeping food production local, organic and healthy!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 16:02   #54
Senior Member+

I attended a meeting recently set up by the fracking company explaining what the orange cables were doing alongside lots of roads in the Fylde - they are attached to sensors which record sudden 'explosions'. The boss man was there, a Mr ? Turner, who is an Ossie lad. His sister still lives there. I liked him. No edge on him.His firm is caled Cuadrilla.
Old 15-08-2013, 09:19   #55
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
What puzzles me about this fracking, & causing earth tremors thro subsidence when they are driling down 1000's of feet, what about all the 100's of miles of disused tunnels, created by coal mining, we never hear of them being blamed for causing earth tremors.
There are earth tremors happening all the time.
Who's pulling who's chain.
Retlaw.
Here is a link that suggests all the doom and gloom about fracking isn't true Matt Ridley: Let?s Shatter These Five Myths About Fracking | The Global Warming Policy Foundation (GWPF)
Old 15-08-2013, 10:36   #56
God Member

The author of that article - Matt Ridley is a zooologist who writes on 'science matters' for a tory newspaper, and was a chairman of Northern Rock. (I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand car from him)

I have read his blog here
Matt Ridley | DeSmogBlog

In this blog entry
Cheap energy and the North-east of England - Matt Ridley
he states
"Maybe I am biased, as somebody who still makes money from coal as my ancestors did."

He clearly has a vested interest in the extraction of gas from coal seams.

Old 15-08-2013, 11:53   #57
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The author of that article - Matt Ridley is a zooologist who writes on 'science matters' for a tory newspaper, and was a chairman of Northern Rock. (I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand car from him)

Matt Ridley | DeSmogBlog

In this blog entry
Cheap energy and the North-east of England*-*Matt Ridley
he states
"Maybe I am biased, as somebody who still makes money from coal as my ancestors did."

Everyone is biased one way or another
Old 15-08-2013, 13:20   #58
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Fracking Blackpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Everyone is biased one way or another
I am not biased in any direct but my own.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:15   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Matt Ridley | DeSmogBlog

In this blog entry
Cheap energy and the North-east of England*-*Matt Ridley
he states

Can't see out wrong with that, its better than waiting around every week for your dole check to fall on the mat
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44   #60
Senior Member+

was this louisiana sinkhole the result of fracking
Incredible moment Louisiana sinkhole swallows 40ft high trees in a swamp | Mail Online
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..