Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010, 17:50   #211
God Member

Re: Free grit for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Lassie View Post
I've just rang they said that 'offers' finished last week

what do we do for the rest of the winter!!

im on a really bad street and have to hold the wall all the way down and when i live in the top house its hard work!! xx

According to your details you are in Ossy. I wouldn't worry about it, you get first priority in bad weather
Old 09-12-2010, 18:13   #212
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
According to your details you are in Ossy. I wouldn't worry about it, you get first priority in bad weather
Especially if you live up New Lane
Old 09-12-2010, 19:24   #213
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

When I opened the front door this afternoon someone had dumped a bag of the stuff.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23   #214
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
When I opened the front door this afternoon someone had dumped a bag of the stuff.
Blood tipicle of HBC innit, closing the stable door when the horse has bolted
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27   #215
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It will be used on the footpath and street when its needed.

I might use the 2 buckets full of grit from the grit bin last year first though that I have saved for emergencies. The recent weather did not require its use.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57   #216
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I might use the 2 buckets full of grit from the grit bin last year first though that I have saved for emergencies. The recent weather did not require its use.
So thats where the shortage was last year, hoarding
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08   #217
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Aaaah ! That's why you were flashing your eyelashes at Cllr. Britcliffe Wednesday night..

Quote:

Just a reminder (not Neil.. he knows obviously), that using the grit from the grit bins on your drive is considered theft.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:26   #218
God Member

Mine arrived.

To be honest, I've been really disappointed by a lot of comments on this thread.

Last year LCC got caught out with the snow and didn't provide enough grit in the bins. HBC were powerless because LCC manage all the gritting so this year tried to do something positive to help the residents.

Unfortunately they got caught out a bit by the early snowfall. I don't know about you, but I can't remember it snowing before Christmas for many, many years - who could have predicted that?

They did their best to get the word out through normal channels - i.e. website, papers, area management meetings etc - so if you didn't find out about it, it's because you actively avoid finding out. It's been a topic of discussion on here for about a month so there's no excuse for not knowing and then subsequently missing out. You can't blame the council for that - they did their best to let everyone know without incurring more costs.

As for the costs - the first post from Ken says that Cllr Ciaren Wells had calculated that it would cost £6.6m to do this. In reality it's been little over £16k. Heaven help us if someone with those maths skills ever gets in power.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:06   #219
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Aaaah ! That's why you were flashing your eyelashes at Cllr. Britcliffe Wednesday night..
Erm not quite, I was texting Cllr Pritchard (not one one with the funny chains on) to ask if someone on the front row was asleep though

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just a reminder (not Neil.. he knows obviously), that using the grit from the grit bins on your drive is considered theft.
I don't do my paths with grit, it makes the carpets dirty, use it on foot path sometimes but mainly on the road so the car can stop at the corner.
Old 10-12-2010, 14:21   #220
God Member

Quote:
Erm not quite, I was texting Cllr Pritchard (not one one with the funny chains on) to ask if someone on the front row was asleep though
It was that interesting was it? You thought the audience might be asleep?

Well now you know how I feel during your Chairman of Rhyddings Park speeches!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 14:34   #221
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Well now you know how I feel during your Chairman of Rhyddings Park speeches!!!!

Sucks in breath ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 16:18   #222
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Mine arrived.

To be honest, I've been really disappointed by a lot of comments on this thread.

Last year LCC got caught out with the snow and didn't provide enough grit in the bins. HBC were powerless because LCC manage all the gritting so this year tried to do something positive to help the residents.

Unfortunately they got caught out a bit by the early snowfall. I don't know about you, but I can't remember it snowing before Christmas for many, many years - who could have predicted that?

They did their best to get the word out through normal channels - i.e. website, papers, area management meetings etc - so if you didn't find out about it, it's because you actively avoid finding out. It's been a topic of discussion on here for about a month so there's no excuse for not knowing and then subsequently missing out. You can't blame the council for that - they did their best to let everyone know without incurring more costs.

As for the costs - the first post from Ken says that Cllr Ciaren Wells had calculated that it would cost £6.6m to do this. In reality it's been little over £16k. Heaven help us if someone with those maths skills ever gets in power.
To be honest I'm a little disappointed with this post, so long winded & of no practical use.
Yes, LCC did get caught out last year, yes Ken did mention a fantasy figure of £6.6 million but had you read further you would have seen that he has promised not to attempt humour ever again.
I got a leaflet through my door from my Conservative representative bragging about this scheme, when I get home I'll scan it in, somehow it reads of creeping for votes, but what do I know, I am a mere engineer, of no artistic value to the community at all.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 16:41   #223
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
It was that interesting was it? You thought the audience might be asleep?
I know what I saw, I have just text you with names
Old 10-12-2010, 16:55   #224
God Member

Quote:
So have I. The total lack of people who can't see that it isn't free and it's just an vote catching ego trip at the council tax payers expense
Old 10-12-2010, 17:22   #225
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Mine arrived.

Less has already commented on the £6.6m bit and even Cllr Britcliffe has heard about it as he mentioned it in full council on Tuesday.

(Hi Peter! Nice to know that you're hanging on my every word, sweetheart)

As far as the real cost is concerned it's escalated a good £7,500 above the original budget and will probably rise further. A better way of spending £10k would have been to buy four hand gritters at £630 apiece and just under 3 tonnes of grit for each of the 16 wards (at a current valuation of £4 for 25kg). Some wards aren't going to need 3 tonnes on the footpaths and everyone in the borough would have genuinely benefitted without all this rigmarole of phoning up, shovelling into bags and delivering.

Forgive me for looking for the simple solution instead of a vote-grabbing exercise before a by-election.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..