Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 22:46   #286
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Free grit for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The Romans have given us roads since those days, we expect them to be usable
True but then the romans weren't tarts either.
Old 11-12-2010, 22:53   #287

And for 2 thousand years we managed to walk on those roads, now it seems to be oh my god there seems to be a cloud keep the kids off school we can phone work and say that it's impossible to get in, and while no ones looking we'll go panic buying in Asda just in case.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01   #288
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
And for 2 thousand years we managed to walk on those roads, now it seems to be oh my god there seems to be a cloud keep the kids off school we can phone work and say that it's impossible to get in, and while no ones looking we'll go panic buying in Asda just in case.
I don't think it is quite as simple as that.
So much emphesis is put on the schools duty of care to the children that the parents who complain about the schools being shut would be the first to complain if the children could not get home because the busses could not get through.

When the schools closed the other week the bus companies were contacting schools to say they could come now for the kids but might not be able to get through later.

My son goes to St Chris's, they have kids from as far as Burnley so its not practical to say walk home. Even when I was at school I had to travel 7 miles by bus to the secondary schools in Clitheroe.

If you were the head teacher and the bus companies were saying they would not be able to take your kids home at 3.30pm but could come now at 1pm what would you do?

I think most of the problem is down to our transport system not being able to cope with a bit of snow. Its laughable when you look at most of northern Europe and what they manage with. We seem to have the attitude over here that it does not snow much so we wont bother being prepared.

How many of you have shovels in the boot of your car and warm clothes incase you get stuck.

Last night on the news it was saying that the Scottish Transport Minister has resigned because they were not ready and they mentioned forcing wagons to use winter tyres as some of the problems were caused by stranded wagons.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:30   #289
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree, but they could do some. They obviously should prioritise areas more heavily used by the public and work from there.
I think shop keepers should be responsible for their own pavements myself
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33   #290
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Well there is one think for sure Alan if I had shares, I wouldn't mind having a few thousand for Cotton Wool, hell there's a lot used these days, a hell of a site more than when I was a youngster
Old 12-12-2010, 10:12   #291
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
If you're on about national politics then I'll agree that there is an awful lot of objecting just for the sake of it on all sides. I personally am happy to leave them to it, Westminster is far removed from my sphere of influence and (here it comes...) I'm far too busy with Hyndburn let it take up my time.
So you would have been far too busy playng Santa Claus for Rishtoners to be involved in Graham Jones' campaign to get elected to Westminster ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57   #292
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
So you would have been far too busy playng Santa Claus for Rishtoners to be involved in Graham Jones' campaign to get elected to Westminster ?
Not to worry JCB, Kens only a part time Labour Party Member, like most others, only agree when it suites own agenda
Old 12-12-2010, 12:27   #293
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think shop keepers should be responsible for their own pavements myself
How can shopkeepers be held responsible for a pavement not owned by them?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:40   #294
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How can shopkeepers be held responsible for a pavement not owned by them?
Ther water board think we are. We have no water in the shop but we have to pay water rates for drainage. When I asked why they said it's to take away OUR rainwater from the pavement outside
Old 12-12-2010, 13:07   #295
God Member

Quote:
Ther water board think we are. We have no water in the shop but we have to pay water rates for drainage. When I asked why they said it's to take away OUR rainwater from the pavement outside
It rains on the roof and your guttering takes it to the pavement.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 13:30   #296
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I wonder how much LCC pay for taking their water off their roads?
Old 12-12-2010, 13:32   #297
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I wonder how much LCC pay for taking their water off their roads?
Ay least it won't be contaminated with grit
Old 12-12-2010, 13:33   #298
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It rains on the roof and your guttering takes it to the pavement.
When we had the downpours a few weeks ago it came thorugh the roof. Should I claim a refund on the rates ?
Old 12-12-2010, 16:13   #299
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not to worry JCB, Kens only a part time Labour Party Member, like most others, only agree when it suites own agenda
Do me a favour and e-mail me a copy of my agenda will you? I seem to have lost my copy.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 16:23   #300
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think Ken has thought about the manpower of giving the grit to local people. If it snows heavy it'd take forever to send council workers out to clear it from all the pavements. If lots of households have grit they can all do their little bit. There should be grit left over if it snows again, for people to do their little bit again, rather than waiting a week or two for the council to clear the pavements!

As for the election, Baxenden is hardly a marginal seat. Labour accusing the Conservatives of trying to buy the by-election with grit-bribery is rather laughable and helps to explain why they've been out of office in Hyndburn so long.
That safe a seat that Baroness Warsi was parachuted in to help the Tory campaign and the majority has dropped to a just a few hundred instead of the landslide it once was.

It's clear that the weight of feeling from a few of you is against the idea of hand gritters being used by a redundant litter-picking workforce. Fair enough, I'm big enough to accept defeat when an idea isn't that popular, but can any of you explain why this scheme which was open to everyone in the borough and costed at £10,000 didn't actually reach everyone in the borough by quite a margin?

If the Leader had provisioned for every household phoning up for a bag of grit would it not have been simpler to just deliver a bag of grit to every household? I'm afraid the residents of Rishton have not benefitted at all.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding in a huge way but until it is categorically defended by one of the Tory faithful as having acheived what it promised I will remain cynical.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..